1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

z2 problems!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by gibbajabba, Dec 24, 2003.

1. gibbajabba

gibbajabba
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,im not sure if this is right but its done it ever since ive owned it,when i press keystone i just get a square yellow box with a exclamation mark,nothing more? Apart from that its been fine but when i put it on last night it has developed a new fault,the top of the screen is now slanted,its straight across the bottom but not across the top.I measured it and its 39" top to bottom on the left and 42" on the right.Does anyone know whats going on? it worked fine the night before when i used it!

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    maybe you have gone beyond the range of the adjustment? does it work keystoning the opposute direction?

ad

3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I've seen that exclamation mark you mention when I try to do something it doesn't like, but not concerned with keystone though. Like buns, my first instincts are to think you're trying to adjust beyond its' limit.

4. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    on a side note, are you sure you need the keystone? Most people shouldnt need it and it is simply a case of getting proper alignment

ad

5. gibbajabba

gibbajabba
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All seems ok now and keystone works,i changed the input to the standard video lead! The lead that i was using was the keene sanyo lead,this lead was working ok but it seems that that created the problem? Off the problem subject,when i got the keene lead i was expecting a diffrence as i was only using the supplied video lead but me and my girlfriend cannot tell any diffrence from the keene scart and the standard video lead,this contradicts what i have read on here but ive studied and just cant tell,kinda cool really cause now i can return the lead and get a refund :cool:

6. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    There's a good amount of nonsense spoken about 'high quality' cables, as those who've watched the 'for newbies' videos on the Avia set-up DVD have seen.

To see/hear the difference between cables of different quality relies on top-quality source/display devices, if the quality of the 'bad' cable still exceeds the capability of the DVD player or projector then that cable's good enough. :)

7. Quatermass

Quatermass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If possible you ought to try using an s-video to s-video cable (assuming you haven’t got component capability which would be even better). You might see an improvement over composite video then.

A change of cable quality can work with the Z2. I changed component leads from a standard Sony one to a better shielded (quality) one and could see a difference (for the better!!).

8. Kane D Williams

Kane D Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Composite video is simply horrid!

If you don't have a DVD player with component output, then S-Video is still a large improvement over composite. Still, I'd invest in a new DVD player, as you can get a decent Prog-Scan player for around £200 or a DVI equipped player for even less! Don't waste a nice PJ like the Z2 by using composite.

Unless, you are not using composite? May be you are using the Scart for RGB or S-Video?

9. SJR

SJR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Agree 100%.

There are crap cables (the mandatory lead thrown in with any equipment you buy). Then there are good cables (good quality connectors, well shielded cable etc). You WILL notice the difference between these two.

Then there are the rip-off cables. These are the type that come in a flash box the size of a house, 99% of the box being air. The manufacturers start inventing properties that Einstein would have shook his head at.

I'm afraid they really knocked the nail in their coffin when I saw "gold plated" TOSlink connectors. A GOLD PLATED optical lead. what the fudge does that do ????

Rant over - Sore Point. :mad:

Steve :smoke:

PS - The picture quality using a really cheap S-video lead will still look better than that of the most expensive Composite lead.

10. gibbajabba

gibbajabba
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,thanks for the input,so the reason i see no diffrence is because my dvd player is rubbish.If i do use the scart to rgb lead and change the focus to as sharp as it can be the vertical banding can be pretty bad,bad enough to bug me,does this again point to my crabby dvd player? Btw my dvd player is a yamada,make note of the D where i would prefer a H :blush:
    So should i invest in a new dvd player,im thinking of maybe getting this http://www.pantheronline.co.uk/shop...DP&PHPSESSID=1446915b1aada7324f57d03d32fe5582 anyone know what inputs this player has on the back,thanks.

11. WeirdFish

WeirdFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15

:laugh:

12. jomppa

jomppa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    After starting up my Z2 a day or so ago (after waiting 2 years for one .. yeah ) :smoke: .. put the base feet too high up and it gave a trapezoid (so needed vertical keystone) but adjusted the feet manually and got a parallel picture.

I did however get the same square box exclamation mark (as you said) for both DVD Tosh SD-330E MR (10m component lead from tvcables.co.uk) and Bush Digibox, which has a dither (poorer quality composite video input). Can still recreate this signal and the keystone doesn't seem to work ?!?

My NTSC Xbox does the same (currently with S-Video).

I am looking around for a DVI-cable for the PC, so haven't tested that yet.

FYI, I am currently running a 3 m (diagonal) screen in a white room (!) and it looks superb. :rotfl:

13. robbo24

robbo24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I eventually took the plunge and got a Z2 and a Samsung HD935 about a month ago. The HD935 has Scart,S Video, Component and DVI. The first 3 outputs are set by a selector switch, ie the player only outputs one of these signals whichever you select. i bought this player recently from Panther and was a hassle free tranaction, took 4 days from order to delivery. Via DVI the picture can be stunning on some discs, with the picture being very detailed, but it can make some discs (probably the poorer transfers) look too digital in my opinion.
    I would still recommend it though.

14. gibbajabba

gibbajabba
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info m8,im gonna order one this week.Still well chuffed with my z2 but after getting over the inital WOW factor i have started nitpicking :suicide: but my girlfriend doesnt notice any of the things i complain about and i allways have a fiddle before each movie which drives her nuts lol.I still say if anyones thinking of getting one,go for it! its a great machine,ive allready clocked up over 50 hours and ive only had it a couple of weeks,having spent all the cash i didnt want it to be an ornament :D