1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Z2 pc digital vs av hdcp

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by buns, Jan 1, 2004.

1. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    AVF, not the best AV forum in the UK

Attached Files:

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    then the luminance plot...... note earlier that i assume this is so far wrong because of the use of PAL settings with an NTSC source

Attached Files:

3. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    now here is the RGB plot for the av hdcp with absolutely nothing changed. Clearly it is green as i had thought...... it definitely looks very different to the former plot which was the pc digital.

Attached Files:

4. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    then finally, the luminance plot using av hdcp. I havent seen the two side by side until i post this, so i dont know whether you can tell. However, the hdcp was a much brighter image than the pc digital.

Attached Files:

5. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Right,

I have an explanation (possibly). In service of pc digital, it is adjusting 'dvi'. I had assumed this would be the same for both pc digital and av hdcp. Well, it is and it isnt. Whilst my settings 1-3 and 10-12 replicate across from dvi to hdcp, the settings of 7-9 do NOT. When you consider that, the differences in the plots are quite acceptable.

I adjusted both these modes so that the gains/bias/gamma were all the same and have redone to show better the difference..... so here they come.

Attached Files:

6. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    then the av hdcp (last one was pc digital)

Attached Files:

7. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    then the luminance plots were fairly similar for both.This shape, im told, is characteristic of the contrast being too high (note it is at default).

The hdcp does look although it is a tad more red for the same settings. I guess it is possible that skin tones are in that 50 ish ire range, hence it would be unsurprising that they appeared relatively red. Were this the case, it would explain why the guys with measurements say red to be limiting and why those using just eyes have that feeling of warmth..... someone would need to check this out mind you.

Now to recalibrate to NTSC using AVIA and then catch a film :D

any thoughts from those who were interested by this question?

ad

Attached Files:

8. Quatermass

Quatermass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Quite possibly I will now talk a load of rubbish but……isn’t the video mid-grey temperature for the “pc standard” and for the “video standard” different? Could the shifts that you have recorded have been caused by the Z2 adapting in order to take account of the different standards for pc and video mid-grey temperature?

9. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ok..... i dont know about the mid grey.....

i know that video goes on a scale 16-235 and rgb is 0-255.... so that in mind, i basically assumed the only difference would be at the extremes, ie. if you send it an rgb signal from 235-255 and it expects video..... then it would be crushed so there should be a distinct flattening at the high (and low) IRE range.... I didnt think there should have been any differences

In any case, were it done right, the temperatures should be identical in the mid IRE..... this is almost the definition of it being well calibrated. I could understand horizontal shift, but what we see is more like a vertical one

ad

10. Quatermass

Quatermass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I need to do some more research! :)

11. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    you could be right..... you probably know just as well as i do! Alot of what i say i derived from what i have available...... i could have done so wrongly

Actually I have ordered a book about all of this..... seems to have alot of the fundamentals there..... something like HDTV: pictures,panels and pixels..... or something along those lines.

ad