Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Z2 PAL or NTSC source best?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by SJR, Dec 13, 2003.

1. SJR

SJR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am running my Z2 with progressive component out from my Sony 930. I have watched a number of discs through it and am suprised how good NTSC discs are. On my widescreen TV, I can definately tell that there are less lines making up the picture.

Should PAL discs look better on the Z2 (better resolution), or NTSC (better scaling to 720 lines 480*1.5)?

I always used to buy region 1 discs because of the better features, uncut etc. but have recently been buying region 2 because of the better resolution (now the features on disc are about the same as R1). I'm now wondering whether it would be better buying R1 again?

Thanks

Steve

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    If everything else was equal PAL would be better as the scaler would have to generate fewer new pixels .. however much else isn't equal so this is usually not the main concern.

The quality of the transfer and the PAL speed-up issue to name but two are quite likely to make considerably more difference that the difference in PQ .. not to mention the quality of the de-interlacer and scalers used.

I've only compared R1 FoTR:EE with the R2 equivalent and to be honest I see no difference worth discussing in terms of picture sharpness which is the main difference when up-scaling images of different resolutions, the lower the starting resolution the more blurred the scaled image will be due to the interpolation of mid-tone pixels to make up the difference .. but that's using an HCPC which is generally thought to provide the best PQ outside of massively-expensive de-interlacers/scalers, it's certianly far superior to my Sony 730.

3. SJR

SJR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply KraGorn. I forgot about the 4% speed-up, although this doesn't bother me too much. It used to be a gripe, but I think the theory bothered me more than in practice.

If there is little difference in quality between the two formats, I think I would prefer to take the Region 1 route again. I know PAL discs used to have an inferior transfer to the NTSC version, but I would have thought that would have been eradicated now R2 is so popular?

Thanks again

Steve

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    AIUI transfer quality is still quite dependent on the care and time that's taken to do it .. thus, for example, the LoTR transfers may well be top notch, while other studios may take less care.

If you read the DVD Talk forum here you'll see regular discussions saying how this DVD's R1 is better than its' R2, but THAT DVD is better in R2 than R1, while R3 is better still. ;)

5. SJR

SJR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, point taken. I spent many hours debating this years ago, when R2 was just becoming popular, I don't think I have the energy for it all again. :laugh:

Steve

6. Kane D Williams

Kane D Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Being a film geek and an editor, the preservation of the film as a piece of work is more important to me than the extra 94 lines you get with PAL, so I like the running time to be correct. 4% may not seem like much, but in terms of pacing etc, it can play a noticeable part and if the sound has not been pitch corrected (like many films), that can be very apparent. I can tell you, if an owner of a cinema or preview theatre said to a dircetor, "we are going to be running you film 4% faster, we hope you don't mind", they would certainly mind! However, I do think that in recent years, PAL transfers do look fantastic and some better than the US version. When HD DVD's are out, we will have all the resolution we need, plus correct running speed, and all will be well. Well, with R1 HD-DVD's that is!