1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

z2 or AE500

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by pquinn, Mar 4, 2004.

1. pquinn

pquinn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    New to the projector game. Which projecotr is better??

2. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +935
    Hi and welcome to the forums, i think that this decision pretty much comes down to how you intend to set it up as i believe these projectors are very much identical in terms of performance. The advantage of the Z2 is the lens shift function which means you can place the projector off centre to the screen and still project a perfect image without the need for keystone correction.
    The AE500 has the advantage of smoothscreen which pretty much eliminates screendoor, but does not have any lens shift.
    I have the Z2 and the lens shift is very helpful as i have not ceiling mounted it.
    Others on this forum may be able to give you a fairer comparison if they have seen these side by side

3. pquinn

pquinn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers inzaman,

I think I need to have a look at both running. Do you find much screen door effect on the z2. I will probably be running a 5-6ft screen.

4. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +935
    No sde unless you stick your nose to the screen, the pixels are just so small on my screen which is 7ft wide. There is very slight vertical banding but only in scenes and on the areas with a light blue sky or light grey. The vb really is nothing to worry about and you only notice it if you look for it.
    Demo is definitely the way to go, just make sure that when you demo that both machines are using the same inputs and dvd player as this can effect things.

5. Punce

Punce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    on a 5-6ft screen, screen door shouldn't be a problem on either of those PJs, depending how far back your viewing position is.

I'm in the same boat as you trying to decide on which one to go for. I'm currently an AE100 owner and want to upgrade. My mate recently acquired a Z2, and the PQ is very impressive (better than my AE100 as you'd expect!) but he has 2 dust blobs on it, a red and a green one (almost looks like a set of traffic lights:D) and we've just trolled through countless threads on how to fix it.

It seems like there's a problem with the Z2's at the moment with dust finding its way inside, and it's a bit of a bitch to clean properly, especially if it's ceiling mounted. He'll probably give it a clean in the next couple of days.

I might just go for the Panny instead. I've then been through the AE300/AE500 decision. After much reading I've come to the conclusion that as I'm running my HCPC through VGA with Powerstrip, it looks like the AE500 would be the best one for me overall. Correct me if I'm wrong?

All the best with your choice. me too lol

6. pquinn

pquinn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys.

My main use will be DVD/XBox. Does it really matter if you have an XGA res projector for these resolutions or will something with 800x600 be just as good??

7. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I went for the Panny 500. I was looking at the 300 as they can be had cheap but decided it was worth the extra £300 for the superior resolution and contrast.

I have heard the dust problems with the Sanyo mentioned a number of times and dont like the sound of it :rolleyes:

Alot of people on here seem to have had the Panny projectors (Mainly 100s) Not heard of dust being a major problem so fingers crossed. The 500 can be had for £1150 delivered at the moment.

8. DucatiEVO

DucatiEVO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Funny I was just reading a review on the 500, where abouts did you see it for £1150 delivered?

9. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +935
    Depending on price i would go 1280x720 pj, especially if you can take advantage of the xbox hd resolution. Games that output 720p really look amazing when blown up to 7ft, infact i now use my pj far more for playing games than actually watching movies

10. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I am glad you said that. I have just bought the Xbox High def pack to go with my new Panny 500. Cant wait.

And like you I plan to spend more time playing games on it than anything else. 1280x720 is also much much better for playing PC games and better supported in older PC games.

In reply to the other chap I got it from Komplett for £1145 + £5 for shipping. They rang yesterday to confirm order so should be here in the next few days :)

11. pquinn

pquinn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  12. Yandros

Yandros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    New Z2 owner here.

Screen door really isn't a factor at any sensible viewing distance. The Z2 lens shift is VERY useful. Think carefully about where the projector is going to be positioned. If you're having to offset it by a significant degree, the Z2 is likely to be your best bet.

Z2 seems to be more dust prone, but this is a user-serviceable issue (no dust blobs for me yet *crosses fingers*).

My own experiences this week with Sanyo customer services is outstanding. The unit turned up with purple blobs when displaying pale colours. Sanyo asked for it back immediately. The fault was reported yesterday and a new unit arrived at 9:30 this morning. The old unit was collected this afternoon!

Top marks for service to our dealer, Sanyo and the UK distributors.

13. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +935
    Yandros, how come those stars are coming up for the web link?

14. Yandros

Yandros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    I was just wondering the same thing myself (I just edited the post just in case)

If there is a ban on mentioning certain dealers by name, this must be very new, and can a Mod let me know why :confused:

The dealer is Ivojo

15. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +935
    I thought that you meant - Ivojo but we must be banned on mentioning it, very suprising if we are as the service i got from them when i got my Z2 was excellent.
    Is it the case that we are banned from mentioning them mods?

16. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +838
    So you can say Nexnix but you can't say Ivojo?

That's not fair now is it...

17. chips

chips

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    For legal reasons, certain web sites may not be linked to.

18. DVDcake

DVDcake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I would expect that Ivojo requested the ban as too many people may be linking to their site to use it as a source for specifications on projectors, or perhaps there is another reason...

19. Spooksta

Spooksta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    £1100 odd pounds for a AE500!! blimey i thought these were £1600. Anyone got the best price on a Z2 as im gana need the lens shift and im itching to order now if they are £1100!!!

20. pquinn

pquinn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  21. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I paid £1150 for the ae500 shipped. They are very evenly matched, in the end it came down to the fact that the ae500 was almost £200 less. I had also seen a couple of people mention problems with dust blobs which really put me off the Sanyo unit although it is probably just bad luck.

The lense shift would have been handy but in reality it does not let you offset the projector that much as I understand there is no horizontal keystone on the Z2. I will be mounting it on the ceiling straight on anyway.

22. Spooksta

Spooksta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Well i will be mounting it on the ceiling but i like my screen to be lower than what ive seen in mags. I h8 looking up at a screen, much rather look straight forward. So i will need to shift the image down i supose. Carnt have the projector hang to low or ill bump me head :p

23. Yandros

Yandros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    Slight correction to the above post - the Z2 lens shift is +/- 1 screen height and +/- 0.5 screen widths (ie total travel of 3 screen heights and 2 screen widths). Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is probably way over the limits of digital keystone, and you don't get the annoying grey polygon of the uncorrected area.

Oh and on the subject of the dealer that must now remain nameless...HUH???!!!

Ahhhhh! *sound of penny dropping* I notice that Nexnix, av-sales etc are sponsors of this site. The nameless one is not. Komplett isn't either though...hmmm, the plot thickens.

(edit)

Just reread forum rules.

I think it might be that people have been badmouthing some dealers and avforums are covering themselves from legal action.

24. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Sorry the post I was reading that refered to this was talking about the Z1 not the Z2

"Z1 wont work in the position you've shown as the lense shift is only a 1/4 the screen width and it dose not have any horizontal keystone features"

25. Spooksta

Spooksta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    So i will be able to drop the picture 1 screen hight with no digital correction ? Thats about what i will need i think..... Looking at how it will be the lens on the Z2 will be level with the top of my screen. Sound ok ? The throw distance is gana be about 9-11 foot

26. Yandros

Yandros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    Yes, that'll be fine. You'll only be using 50% of the vertical lens shift so there won't be any significant loss of brightness or image quaility. To be honest, even at full shift it's perfectly ok. I'm slumming it at the moment as I've not installed the mount, and the Z2 is at the side of the room in line with the screen edge (100% horizontal shift) and I've not noticed anything to complain about.

27. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +394
    For what it's worth in this months What TV and Video, they reviewed the AE500 5 Stars and put it ahead of the Z2.

The reviews closing comments were "picture varies between excellent and breathtaking"

I run mine off a Tosh SD900. With the tweaks available through the player and those available on the AE500, you will get your breathtaking image no doubt.

28. Yandros

Yandros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    Yeah, the AE500 would work well in that position too Spooksta. From what I've read, the lens is about 6cm above the bottom of the image (when coffee table mounting), so if you're ceiling mounting, you just need to drop your screen a small amount more, and you'll be spot on.

29. Spooksta

Spooksta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    ....and in Home Cinema Choice they review both machines and the Z2 gets the nod over the AE500 :smoke:

30. Spooksta

Spooksta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Still unsure mind lol