1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Z2 not working with HCPC DVI

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Goof, May 31, 2005.

1. Goof

Goof
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Not sure if this belongs in here or HCPC but I guess it may get more exposure here. Well, finally got my Z2 and screen mounted in my new flat, complete with new DVI-D cable - been looking forward to it for days, sat down to watch something at 10 and have been messing about for 2 and a half hours now with no chance of watching anything because I can't get the DVI working :thumbsdow

I'm running from Windows XP with a Radeon 9800pro and was running older Omega drivers - I should point out I had it all working last night for a quick test (the DVI/FPD option was greyed out initially but I changed resolution or something and tried again and was able to enable it).

However, hooked it all back up tonight - had the option to enable to DVI but the refresh or input wasn't right again so I'd reset the machine. I then couldn't get DVI to enable no matter what combination I tried. I then uninstalled omega radeon drivers and put on the latest ATI - all combo's and DVI still greyed out. Then uninstalled them and tried the latest Omega's, tried different combinations, leads in and out, HCPC and projector resets and I'm still sitting here at 12.30 really peeved off :(

I should note that if I take the DVI out of either end (HCPC or Pj) my vga tft monitor will blink (refresh) so there must be some sort of communication between the two.

Is it likely to be a duff cable or is this a windows (or even a Z2) issue?
    Gutted :(

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    I think I've seen this before Chris - have you tried it with just the DVI cable installed? Take out the other cable then boot teh pc so that it only has one output to choose.

Could it possibly be the displays option perhaps? Perhaps you need to tell it there are two for it to switch between them. I currently use the ATI drivers and alt F5 to switch from one to the other, though it can be set to run them both together as clone or split screen. I also found the seperate control panel to be more problematic (probably just me and not the software), so stuck with the tabbed version that sits in with the advanced settings of screen properties.

Gary.

3. Goof

Goof
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Gary,

How's things? :hiya: Sold your NEC yet?

Well, I ended up sitting down to watch Fight Club last night at 12.30 via composite just to spite myself :rolleyes: :suicide:

However, I tried as suggested before shutting it off - I rebooted with just the Pj connected but got nothing. I also just use the display>properties tabs FWIW. Forgot to try ALT F5 but it doesn't look as it that'd work anyway.
    When I had it running the night before it was in 'clone' (both TFT and Pj displaying at same time).

Have also asked over at AVS so I'll see if they have any ideas...

4. Goof

Goof
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Gary, just a quick update - as recommended on AVS I tried with the Pj on first, then booted the HCPC and it's worked by defaulting to DVI.

Not sure why this wouldn't have worked last night when I reset the HCPC whilst Pj was still on...just glad it's working and hope it stays that way!

5. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    Glad you got it sorted.

Yes, sold the NEC fully calibrated with lens filter and I was quite sorry to see it go really. it still gives an amazing picture IMHO and if NEC ever bring out a 720 pj with an iris and features like the HT1000 had, I'm sure it will be a great piece of kit.

Just remember to never turn the pj or htpc off now that they're working and leave them running, just in case....

Only kidding. :)

Gary.

6. Goof

Goof
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Noooo, the lamp hours, they are precious! :rotfl:

Still got my original 'Lightfoot TM' mount going strong too btw, with a new, bigger plate for the Z2 (big thanks to Dek for that!) so I'll have pics of the new setup in the new flat soon hopefully (made a bit of an arse ceiling mounting the screen though, holes galore! :suicide: ).

Thanks again :smashin:

7. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    I'm still using one of those but with the pole for the Optoma and it does the trick. I just had to make up a new piece of mdf to bolt to the pj. It's a bargain bracket that seems to work well. :)

Hows the card business these days?

Gary.

8. Goof

Goof
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Gary,

Business is not too bad thanks, what are you up to these days?
    Work got a bit hairy last year, too much too late on, 2 months solid of 12-18 hours a day nearly killed me. It did, however, make us just profitable enough for me to earn a meagre office lacky's salary, hence the new digs, slight upgrade from AE300 to Z2 and a couple of kittens to boot :D

I suppose tonight was my first proper viewing with the Z2 - picked Open Range as I'd heard it had a superb transfer but tbh I found it to look a little 'washed out'. I thought it was probably my settings (not done much tweaking yet) but I put in T2 after and it certainly didn't seem to be lacking in punch or contrast! Also found I have a bad case of VB (I said VB, NOT VD! ;) ) so I may see about getting a lead and upgrading the firmware.

9. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    Things are much the same thanks, except my own kittens are now cats!

I don't think penicillin helps with VB but it might be worth a try. :)

Otherwise, ROnes settings might be useful as he's got his tweaked out very well at the moment.

Gary.

10. Goof

Goof
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the tip, had added an old buns' thread to favourites but we all know what happened there!

Edit: seems to be a Z3 Rone has.

11. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    Shame about Buns....

Oops, my bad about the Z3. :(

Gary.