Z2 Loosing Signal ? / RGB From VCR

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by AndyGB, Mar 10, 2004.

1. AndyGB

AndyGB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

We've been using the Z2 successfully for the last week for DVD's and Sky (once I'd bought a JS RGB to S-Vid converter, doh !) with no problems. However I have just put on Monsters Inc for the kids and the picture will suddenly disappear to be replaced with the blue screen or it will go black and white and roll before going to the blue screen, before being displayed OK for a minute or so before going again. I've tried it both using the S-Video switched through my Denon 3801 amp and the component output direct from the DVD player and it happens on both.

This is the only DVD this happens to (so far), they are happily watching Tiger movie as I type this. Anyone have any ideas as to why this might be happening ?

I also bought a second RGB/S-Vid convertor to put the VCR through the amp to the projector, however all I get when using that is a black screen (not the blue no signal one). Have I made an expensive mistake by thinking that a VCR would output RGB or do they only output composite ? If it doesn't I've no way to connect the VCR to the projector as I only had S-Video and component cables run in (doh ! again).

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on these little niggles.

2. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    doh again I'm afraid. A VCR may do RGB pass-thru but it does not output its own signal in RGB, only composite.

3. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Standard VCRs only output composite.
    SVHS VCRs output S-Video as well.
    You won't be able to use the RGB to S-Video converter with either type of VCR.
    Check your Z2 is set to Auto Input. If it is set to PAL then NTSC will play up and visa versa.

4. AndyGB

AndyGB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the help with the VCR question guys.

With regards to the Monsters Inc question it's a region 2 disc (playing through a pioneer 737) and I've checked that the projector is on AUTO and played a couple more DVD's fine. If I pause the film when it is rolling or blue then it usually just carries on rolling or stays blue, occasionally flicking back into a still image for a second or so, most peculiar.

I can't see why if there is a problem with the disc it would cause the projector to have problems, surely the projector is getting a constant signal from the DVD player or is that being nieve ?

5. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    You're not being naive, but I think the effect you're seeing perhaps indicates that indeed the player is not outputting a constant signal, for some reason.

The blue screen appears when the Z2 no longer detects an input signal .. I couldn't tell you what constitutes a 'signal', an out-of-sync image can still get displayed so it's not just that it loses sync .. the fact that this blue screen comes and goes IMHO definitely indicates the signal is 'coming and going'.

6. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,082
    AndyGB i have a Z2 and my dvd player is a pioneer 757 and i also have this problem but only with Monsters Inc no other dvd i have watched has given this problem, neither does my xbox. I have only had Monsters inc about three weeks or so so do not know whether this would have been a problem with my old crt tv, i cannot try this as i have since sold it. I think that this is a problem with the dvd player and the dvd as opposed to the pj, i also have changed my leads recently so thought that it was those but i really think it is the dvd player.

7. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,082
    Also i have racked up over 300hours on my Z2 over the past few months, mainly xbox as i have been off work the past two months due to redundancy but do start a new job next week. The only dvd that has been a problem is monsters inc which i really believe is the combination of dvd player and dvd.

8. AndyGB

AndyGB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys, at least I know it's not just me.

The DVD played fine when outputted to the TV so I'll just have to tell the kids to use the TV and not Z2 when they want to watch it.