1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Z2 + iScan Ultra OR Optoma H56 OR Something Else?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Dimmy, Jan 11, 2004.

1. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In spite of What Hi-Fi's much valued opinion, I was leaning toward buying a Z2 as my first projector, when it suddenly occured to me that I'm going to need some sort of external image processor.

I'm going to be using this projector for all video sources, Gaming/DVD/Sky, hell, even SVHS! So it made sense that I'd need one. After looking around (and firmly deciding against the BriteView), it looked as though the iScan ultra was going to be my processor of choice. However, I realised at this point that coupling this with the Z2 was pretty much going to bring its cost in line with the ThemeScene H56.

I saw the ThemeScene H56 just a few short weeks ago, and was thoroughly impressed with the performance. I also think I'm right in saying that it includes the same Silicon Images deinterlacer found in Denon's DVD-A1, which - whilst without the upscaling capabilites of the iScan - looked as though it could do broadly the same job.

Now my question is this. Would the picture obtained between the Z2 and the iScan be comparable to the (extremely high) quality images that I know the H56 is capable of churning out? Or, even more unlikely, would they exceed the capabilites of the H56?

If it helps, the screen size I'll be using is 74" diagonal. And the equipment I'll be using are as follow:

Sky Box
    Ps2
    JVC HRS5955EK SVHS VCR
    Denon DVD2800mkII (NOT PAL Progressive modified)
    Pioneer DV565a (multiregioned)

TIA, and all opinions welcome, as I'm somewhat of a beginner when it comes to projectors.

Dimmy :)

2. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    to be honest i dont think so, your still see the vertical banding of the Z2.
    the picture of the optoma is indeed excellent. and the combination of the silicon scaler-deinterlacer is amazing.

If u go for the H56 a word of caution is that to make sure it has the latest firmware update. if you send it an interlaced signal all is fine and to be honest is better than sending it a prog scan signal from a dvd player.

But if not updated it goes a bit pear shaped when receiving a prog scan signal.(its hardley noticeable but i did)

Mines currently at optoma being updated and getting a free clean.
    then it will be back in the av for sale section.

personaly id go with the H56 as i think it a hell of a bargain and the pic is identical to a HT1000 but is a £1000 cheaper

3. pacemaker

pacemaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    i was running a z2 with an iscan ultra and must admit the picture was superb however there was a certain amount of lipsync problem more noticable on some discs than others
    this prompted me to return the item but i have it on a good source that an independant lipsync module is on the way soon with multiple inputs and delays to cater for the likes of sky
    when this arrives i will reconsider the situation and may well return to the iscan
    then theres the iscan hd which has lipsync built in but will prob cost alot more
    personally i cant live with dlp rainbow effect
    what was the what hifi review?

4. Mike Antrum

Mike Antrum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gandley,

I have H56, and have been having some problems with Prog Scan from a DVD player.

I was getting picture tearing from my Pioneer 737 with prog scan, so 7oaks loaned me a Denon 2900 this weekend. All is well with NTSC prog scan, but with PAL, the picture no longer fills the screen, with a 4 inch black border on the right hand side, and a white line down the edge with some discs. horizontal picture alignment doesn't move the image.

This firmware upgrade you are having done, what exactly does it fix ?

Thanks in advance for you help,

Mike

5. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    Right, when sending it a prog scan signal (and if your doing this your missing out on the better pic quality) the image is slightly croped about 10 pixels in on either left or right and about 3 up or down depending if you use NTSC or PAL software.
    if u look in the area thats croped do u see that it is murky red colour. If so it needs to go back to optoma as its faulty.....

I think its because it treating it as a computer signal and a video signal as it should do. so is sizing wrong, hence the need for a firmware upgrade

6. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll pretty much always be sending interlaced PAL signals to the H56, occasionally using progressive inputs with certain games and my VERY small Region 1 DVD collection.

Did you have these same problems with the H56 & Progressive when using the deinterlacer in the projector gandley?

And thanks for the opinions people

7. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    no the onboard stuff off the H56 work realy well.
    if you send the h56 interlaced it works flawlessly and is most impressive.
    It should be said that not all will suffer from the fault. again it seems its just a firmware update.
    and too be honest most could live with it. its not that big a deal and only happens if as said you send it a progressive signal which kinda defeats the object of having a good de-interlacing solution onboard the PJ. and as the pj is pal progressive it will still turn interlaced pal stuff into progressive even if your dvd player is non pal prog.

Y would you send the PJ a prog signal for region 1 stuff, the pj will still do the deinterlacing for that as well

(the pj will always do all deinterlacing except when u send it a prog scan signal)