1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Z2 install power buy?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by zAndy1, Oct 31, 2003.

1. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,057
    Wonder how many people are going to be looking for somebody to install their Z2s shortly? I will for one. Need it ceiling mounted and a screen installed and cables running to the projector so they aren't visible. No way I can do that, if anyone finds anyone that can for a reasonable price (£300 - £400?) let me know, or am I being very optimisitc with that price range?

Cheers,
    Andy.

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I envisage that getting a ballpark kind of a figure for this is impossible..... every install requires a different degree of installing..... hiding cables could be expensive for example, especially it the walls need tracked, conduited and replastered.... you just need to have a look around in something like what hifi and there should be at least one or two custom installers local enough who could give you some sort of quote.

ad

3. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    Im hardly a DIY kind of guy but Im doing my own, why cant you do this for yourself?

A plasterer would charge about £15-£20 for plastering over channelled in cables

If using a ceiling mount a plasterer will rectify any damage you cause!

4. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,057
    I'm useless at DIY and wouldn't dare do anything to the walls for channelling cables, my wife would kill me if I did!

5. HappyLad

HappyLad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What about your local electrician?

Might not be clued up about aligning your mount and screen correctly, but should be able to deal with all the cable issues.
    :)

6. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    Seriously, there is nothing to it. Plasterers are wonderful people that cover up cockups.

To show you what a bodgit I am, I used an angle grinder to create channels. It worked well as it made stright channels through to the birckwork, except under the window where I helplessly watched the whole section of plaster under the window collapse and fall off. All you need then is 50p 2 metre strips of cable covers and get your plasterer to rectify mistakes. if youve got a budget of £500 why not channel everything in get it plastered and use the budget to redocrate

7. Quatermass

Quatermass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You have to be a bit careful cutting cable channels into your walls in case you hit another sort of cable i.e. the electric ones - in which case you would get a bigger shock than seeing the non-preorder price of the Z2 appear :eek: Seriously make sure you know where your electric cables run before burrowing into walls/ceilings etc. :lesson: Of course, it always helps if you can turn the electricity off while you do the job ;)

8. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,057
    There's no way I'm doing it myself, the only way I'll get it past the wife is if I get it done by someone who knows what they're doing, I've done too many bodge jobs in the past! This is a brand new house and my wife if ****** off enough that I want a projector in the living room, least I can do is make sure it's well installed!

Cheers
    Andy

9. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Installing an LCD and screen yourself is not difficult but can be tricky depending on what it is you are actually tring to do. Burying cables and installing a motorised screen (especially in your living room where any and every bit of damage to the decor will be accompanied by a frying pan across the back of your noggin from the wife) is not for the faint of heart or unskilled.

It can be done as DIY but if you are in any doubt about it and have the readies then get the pro's to do it! It will cost you, I'd estimate over £500 more likely but at least it will be done with the minimum of hassle and disruption (as well as being done correctly).

At the other extreme, a rough and ready job with a fixed screen and cables everywhere would take half a day, a handfull of screws and you'll be laughing (oh, but don't forget to do your homework first - throw distance, projector height, etc, etc.) having spent pennies rather than a small fortune.

Paul

10. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    zAndy1,

You say you are no good at diy, so fair enough, you are, as you say, better to get it done for you. However, what are you like at planning things? If you could work out where you want the ceiling mount, where you want the screen, what cables you need..... blah blah blah...... well then you could get in a builder to do the work. This would almost definitely be a cheaper alternative than letting a custom installer do all of everything..... if you follow

that said, if you dont mind paying, go for the pro installer

ad

11. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    For anyone in the south wales area this is what i do! (We as a company) So for info on installation etc PM me £350 gets you a days labour of 2 experienced Installers (AVIS) cables and brackets not included but setup is, integration in to your Sound system etc, we do insist on a site survey and will quote from that for the install. We can hide cables and will make the install as discrete as we can. (trunking may be required)
    PS see my Sig

12. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    sounds like a bargain price to me!

ad

13. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Very kind of you buns. If anyone is interested in the south wales, south west, West Wales area please PM me.

14. jaybeegee

jaybeegee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hornydragon
    do you have connections in the northwest ( manchester ) or do you yourself cover the area

jay

15. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Jay sorry mate too far for us. seanyboy might be able to help tho!

16. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Hang on a min, ive seen SB installs! they consist of 2" black tape and way too many pot-noodles.... :)