Z2 - Good screen size ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by bergsey, Mar 16, 2004.

1. bergsey

bergsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've read some guides and looked at some calculators but i'm interested in people's real world opinions on screen size and the Z2.

My theatre room is 4m wide and 5m long. Distance between my normal seats and screen will be about 4.5m.

I'm trying to decide whether to go for the 100" or 92" (16:9). 100" is the biggest that I can fit in (width wise as the screen is going in a slight recess in the wall).

Thoughts ?

Thanks

2. Jimbobgod

Jimbobgod
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also have the Z2. I'm using a 80" diagonal 16:9 screen, and sitting approximately 10' away. The screen size choice was partly due to room limitations, and partly because I prefer the sharper brighter image created by having a smaller image. Hope this helps :)

3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Also remember one of the Z2's major benefits in this respect is the lens shift, it allows you to offset the projector by up to 1/2 screen height or width and still retain almost perfect focus .. it can do more but you then start losing light output and being to get edge focus problems.

4. MovieAddict

MovieAddict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I have a 92" diagonal grey screen with my Z2, I often wish for a bigger screen especially when watching some movies where the widescreen ratio does not use the top and bottom parts of the screen.
    I think at your seating distance, you should go for the 100" as long as you have a light controlled room.

5. eatstatic

eatstatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    bergsey,

I have just changed from a 'grey' 6ft wide screen 16:9 to a 'white' 7ft screen 16:9 also using a Z2. My room is approx 4.5m long with seating position at about 4.2m approx.

To be totally honest, although I am getting used to the screen being bigger I can't help wondering if I should have left it at 6ft.

At the smaller size I was very happy with the picture quality and had no issues with the Z2 performing at that size and distance.

At 7ft the image is very impressive size wise but I really could do with having a longer room to suit it. It would not have to be much longer but at the seating distance I have I get occassional panel structure showing across certain sceens (usually lighter areas and fleshtones) depending on the disc quality.

I have found this to be slightly distracting at times as it was never an issue prior to the change.

Depending on how involving the film is it takes your mind off it but it's one of those things 'once you seen it you know its there'.

I dont know if having a grey screen helped at all in the first instance but I havn't had much time to compare.

Also girlfriend dosn't know what I am talking about (as usual) as she does not see it.

Hope this helps.

eatstatic.

6. millec199

millec199

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19

I would be interested to hear what your thoughts are about going from a grey screen to a white one. At the moment I am projecting my Z1 onto a grey (icestorm) wall and, am very happy with the results, however, I will be moving soon, and I don't think I will have a wall that I can paint, so it will have to be a screen. But due to funds being short it will most likly have to be a cheaper screen (which means standard white) and I am worried that I will be spending £150-200 on a screen and actually getting a worse picture (due to having a white screen instead of a grey wall).

Did you switch from a grey screen for any piture reasons, or was it just to get a larger size picture? and have you noticed any reduction in quality?

Thanks

7. fastferret

fastferret

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bergsey,
    Think I've had my Z2 about the same time as you.
    I'm using a 1.78m wide white screen and sitting 3m from screen. Very nice picture and no screen door.
    No basis to comment on anything bigger but I get the feeling this is as big as I would want to go.

8. Yandros

Yandros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +528
    I'm pondering over exactly the same thing myself.

Viewing distance 3.6m with a Z2.

I've got the slight advantage of a 2.2m wide improvised screen made of poles and blackout cloth.

We've been trying images sizes ranging from about 1.9-2.13m. Last weekend, my girlfriend and I, together with some projector owning friends sat and tried to decide....

"small image! large image! small image! large image!"

"what do you think?"

"Dunno! Can't see much difference to be honest."

"Well you can see some pixellation on the large one"

*reduces image size*

"ah, still some there too...hmmm"

"you might as well go for the big one then!"

The conclusion we came to was that there was pixellation to a greater or lesser degree(not necessarily screen door as such) within the size range I'm considering. If you want to make the image perfect, you'll sacrifice the big screen experience. Based on our experiments, if you're viewing distance is 4.5m I'd go for about 240-250cm wide screen, or a close as you can get to that. That's about a 30-31 degree viewing angle. THX spec says no less than 26 and ideally 36 degrees.

9. William123

William123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Initially I made my own screen approx 83" wide using blackout material.

My seating distance from the screen is approx. 16 feet.

Because of circumstances I had to give up my dedicated room reserved for HT, and purchased a 92" wide manual pull down screen from DRH, excellent product for the money and a breeze to fit in the living room.

That distance and screen size suits me perfectly......now for an upgrade in the spectacle department.

;)

10. MovieAddict

MovieAddict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Bergsey,
    In my earlier post I meant go for upto 100" diagonal (not width).
    See Evan Powell's excellent review and recommendations for the Z2 at www.projectorcentral.com

11. eatstatic

eatstatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    millec199,

Did not change from a grey screen to white for any other reason than the smaller grey screen had slight warping on it which effected panning shots slightly and the larger white screen was aquired at a very, very reasonable price:D

As for reduction in picture quality it is hard to say as there a few factors involved it.

1. The screen is a foot wider which although dosn't seem to be much in actual fact when viewing it seems much bigger.

3. As the screen is bigger I have had to move my projector futher back into the room to adjust the screen size which I believe has made the screen easier to see the pixel structure.

2. I have just got new glasses at the same time as changing over the screens. This could be the reason I am now seeing LCD issues.

Obviously going from grey to white I have still some tinkering to with the projector. Unfortunatly I can now see the vertaical banding (in some sceens) which I did not see before. But as stated above this could be attributed to one or all of the above.

Will do some testing (when possible) with both screens hung to see if one or the other is better. Maybe the grey screen hid the pixel sturcture and vertical banding...........then again maybe not.
    I have a feeling I will end up with the same opinion as Yandros.

Will let you know.

12. millec199

millec199

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Thanks for the reply. I think I will have to see what my postion is when I move in to my new place, and see if I can paint a wall as I have now. I just don't want to spend £200 on a screen and end up with a worse picture.

13. Sun

Sun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    just invading this thread :)

I've just got hold of a DaLite model C 106" 16x9 screen to use with my upcoming Z2.

Projector Central says that to fill my screen the throw distance will be 13ft 7" (4.18 m). Is that how far my projector needs to be away from the screen? I would be sitting just short of that same distance too so is that too close?

Cheers

14. Sun

Sun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    bump for the daytime crew :) anyone able to answer my, no doubt, basic questions above.

Thanks

15. Oakmere

Oakmere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Just got mine the other day, this is on a small screen size, (zoom quite far out) you can see the Family guy DVD box as a size refrence on the shelf!

[​IMG]

I tried the projector on the maximum zoom too, and although I lost the sides to the roof and the sidewalls the center was still sharp as ever.
    The distance is about 4m