1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Z2 dust: Who needs dead pixels?!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Off The Fence, Dec 29, 2003.

1. Off The Fence

Off The Fence

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Morning folks.

OK. I'm curious.

How many of you Z2 owners have noticable dust blobs?

I only ask because I've got a new one I can't seem to shift with a can'o air (green, about 5 inches in diameter) . It only shows up in dark scenes, but it's bad enough that even my wife asked 'what's that green circle?' :mad:

Do you guys just live with them?

As I said, I tried to shift it myself last night. Took the lid off with the thing turned on, so I could see inside with it 'lit up'. There's *a lot* of dust in there on the optics you just don't see on screen :eek: (thank god, as it's pretty much impossible to shift. Even with an air can & hose :rolleyes: ).

Trouble is, I reckon you can't get to some of the optics (without hardcore dismantling), which, I reckon, is where my green blob lives.

I'm seriously considering getting onto Sanyo directly, as it can only get worse over time.

Do you reckon I'd get anywhere?

Do you folks think I'm being too picky?

I wanna cry :(

Cheers

2. Chipster

Chipster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi

I cant say I've suffered with this yet as my Z2 is so new. It was a worry of mine prior to purchase but only time will tell.

However there is a link here called Z2 dust removal tutorial w/pics.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?threadid=339154

Sounds like youv'e tried your best but there are a lot of comments there that might help.

If it were me I'd contact my dealer immediately, it just shouldent happen in the first place...should it?? I realise of course that heat, fans and dust dont mix, but if the problem exsists with many people, then surely Sanyo should get their thinking caps on and create a modification that helps.

Good luck,

Chipster.

3. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sanyo had plenty of experience from the Z1, possibly/probably the worst offender with regard to dust ingression.

Due mainly to their "lens shift" feature which one would think they would have improved on the Z2.

Nearly 900 hours on my HS10 & not a spec of dust in sight :eek:. Well designed/filtered & no lens shift :p

I'd contact your dealer & make some noise.

:smoke:

4. Chipster

Chipster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thinking about it, the Epson TW200 I demo'd (which apparently has the same inner components) had a nifty thin rubber ring seal around the lens in front of the shift assy.

A DIY solution perhaps?

Chipster.

5. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IIRC didn't Sanyo (or someone??) release a "grommet" type fitting for the Z1? I'm probrbly wrong but I did see/read this somewhere.

AFAIK, owners who didn't use/mess with the lens shift had far less problems with dust on their Z1s.

It couldn't be that difficult to prevent dust ingression around the lens assembly.

6. Off The Fence

Off The Fence

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    I kind of expected dust; I've got a Sony rear projection LCD telly which I have to blast pretty regularly.

Thing is though...that works :rolleyes:

With the Sanyo, I just can't seem to shift it.

I was hoping someone might be able to give me some tips on where the bugger might be, so I perform a little 'precisson bombing' :cool:

Alternatively....

Maybe I should sldegehammer my way into the kitchen. Then I could part exchange for a HS20 & get the same size picture. What do you reckon Kramer? :D

Cheers

7. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't be daft man, use a kango - far easier :D

Yo've tried your best to shift it so I'd again suggest returning it to your dealer for service. No point in risking damage with open- heart surgery on a new unit now is there? (says he who'd his HS10 in bits in days, just for "craic").

8. Quatermass

Quatermass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also thought Sanyo had supposed to have improved dust protection on the Z2. Is your dust filter ok (not clogged up) otf ?

I read in one thread that people find that putting a dust cover over the Z’s when not in use helps reduce dust problems (haven’t tried it myself yet though!).

9. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well i have 3 big dust blobs......grrrrrrrrrrrrr! I didn't have any with my panny 200, which i had for 2 months, and my Z2 now has 3. They all came at the same time and it is really annoying in dark scenes. I will give it an blast some time this week. My bedroom isn't even dusty!i hoover it at least twice a week and dust most surfaces.really bloody annoying
    fred

10. Off The Fence

Off The Fence

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Fred...I feel your pain (not that that helps).

I've found I can shift *some* of them with the air can, but not others :mad: (no matter how creativly I squirt...if you no what I mean :p)

I've got three as well (as of this afternoon); One's faint blue, which I don't mind too much. One's quite small & green (not ideal). And there's one fat daddy, giant haystacks, sumo green mother of a blob, which, as you can probably tell, irritates me a fair bit :(

My dust filters clean BTW.

I'm kind of loathed to contact Sanyo just now as it's practically new. I reckon I'm better off waiting a few more weeks to see if any others turn up (I'm pretty sure they will).

Let us know if your's shifts after a blast. If not I reckon we should start a group and mass email Sanyo as I reckon it's bound to be an ongoing problem for more & more Z2 owners.

Sooner or later even the most tolerant of them will get annoyed at 'green snow' when the screen goes dark :(

Image what the damn things going to be like in 11 months when the warrenty expires?!

Cheers

11. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah we should mass e-mail Sanyo, it is ridiculous. My filter is also very clean. The filter was one of the new and improved things of the Z2 and was meant to keep the internal optics dust free, well to a degree.
    If i get one more, i have a fourth btw but it is very faint, i am calling up Sanyo and demanding a new one be sent or for it too be cleaned and sent back within the week.
    i dunno, see how the air can does i suppose
    fred

12. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Fingers crossed...... i have no dust just yet. Anyone cared to compare occurances of dust for table and ceiling configs?

If we are talking about the same compressed nitrogen canisters, blobs which wont move would be worrying. I use these things for cleaning silicon surfaces and it takes something to physically be bonded to the surface for it not to be removed..... that suggests any such 'dust' blobs are really very worrying indeed.

oh and in case anyone doesnt already know, i have talked to sanyo in length about all sorts of things Z2 related..... it was interesting, first that they are not willing to hand out any sort of service info, and second that they say certain things are issues which are 'inevitable' and are really not something they should be accountable for. Oh..... and their unwillingness to directly swap out..... apparently it is a nasty procedure..... service needs to get the machine, they need to check it, they need to do a report so that their finance can allow a replacement, hen they actually have to find a replacement..... not necessarily easy they said...... in other words they told me to go to my dealer who could fix it without all the BS! :D

So by all means whinge at sanyo, but if you want it done right, talk to your dealer.

ad

13. Stinja

Stinja
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,859
    Coffee table - no dust blobs yet <knocks on wood multiple times> though being a newbie to PJs it might be i dont know how to identify them properly :blush:

Could be the dust is just somewhere not being sprayed. Sounds more logical to me, because as you say, those things push out a mini-hurricane.

14. Quatermass

Quatermass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No dust problems here at all. My filter is also still as clean as a whistle. Pj is rack mounted at moment but soon to go on ceiling.

Otf, Fred are your filters well seated (i.e. clicked in properly). Strikes me that if the filter wasn’t seated very well dusty air could be pulled in around it.

Fact that some people are having big problems very quickly and others none at all suggests to me that some units might be better sealed than others for one reason or another.

15. Off The Fence

Off The Fence

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hey Ad

I reckon the problem with cleaning's down to accessability; with the lid off, you've got 3 slots in the top PCB to blast through, plus some limited access from the side.

Trouble is this just doesn't seem to be enough to get at all the bit's you need to...which is just plain daft.

You'd think with their experience they'd have realised at the design stage that dust was fairly inevitable, and made cleaning as straight forward as possible.

Inexcusable really :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm still not sure what to do about this. I've got the phone number of my nearest Sanyo authorized service centre (can't see a lot a point in hassling Ivojo??). Just in 2 minds if now's the best time to call them.

From what you say Sanyo themselves won't be much help.

Bugga, Bugga, Bugga :mad: :suicide:

I just hope you don't start getting them, cos if you thought grey scale tracking & dodgy red ballance was annoying...:D

Although I suspect it's more 'when' than 'if' :(

Cheers

16. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    ceiling mouted, 10cm mount....I dont close the front lid either....still dust free...also a fairly dusty room

17. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    well if you can actually get hold of the service centre easily..... they will help you im sure..... but if you want a replacement, it would be quicker to go to ivojo (or whoever). For me, with distinct lack of service centres in NI, this was of course my only option.

Before people go fiddling with filters..... i suspect the best way to get a dust blob is to actually remove the filter, this stirs up the one area you KNOW dust to be present and in the path to the panels....

ad

18. Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    No dust blobs at all yet and mine is mounted on top of a stack of rather dusty av gear:blush:

I have been considering getting some sort of dust cover for when the pj isnt in use.With my luck Ill get a dust blob,try to remove it and break something in there:suicide:

19. Quatermass

Quatermass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    True, but you do have to remove the filter to check it/clean it! Fortunately (judging by the state of mine after about 70 hours) the “service interval” could be at least circa 6 months or 400 hours :)

I would go the dealer first as well - I am sure Ivojo will be helpful.

20. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    They are, top rate service from Ken (even if it was irritating to have to do it).

By the sounds of it, the service interval is questionable.... i suspect that if you have no dust blobs...... for god sakes dont touch anything!

ad

21. Quatermass

Quatermass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think not checking the filter is more risky than checking it because of the increased danger from dust building up on the filter and causing either overheating of the unit (= shorter bulb life or even pj going adjustable feet up) or else one day you knock the pj and dislodge built up dust which then goes into the projector.

Thinking about it - it might be better to check and clean the filter more often to reduce the risk of either of these things happening or even the possible dislodgement of built up dust when you do check the filter!! Maybe someone could do a risk analysis on all this :D

22. cosmo65

cosmo65

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok so does everyone feel that the dust is getting in through the filter end of things or is it more likely to be getting in from the front?

I have two blobs of a bluish colour maybe more purple than blue but still bloody annoying but only visible on dark scenes.

After inspecting my filter it looks as clean as a new pin to me and the vents are also dust free. The first blob I noticed is at the bottom and almost out of the viewing area of the screen and appeared after just a couple of hours of use. The other one appeared a few days ago and after 80 hours of use.

The area at the back of the lens looks like it has some gaps for dust to get in. Would it hurt to cover the lens shift dials once the projector is set up with some tape or something? Or maybe even getting a clear piece of glass or some other material cut to size to cover the dials and lens area when the projector is in use (like the HS10 has ) it could be easily be removed to shut the front. Or maybe something thinner could be used so it could be taped permanently into place. Or has anyone got any better ideas?

Regards,
    Cosmo.