1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

z2 chicken wire with pal prog dvd?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by jamiev, May 23, 2004.

1. jamiev

jamiev

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    does anyone have any issues with chicken wire effect when using pal prog scan dvd player (mid range approx £250) and good quality 10m component cable?
    i am torn between z2 and hs20!!

is it worth me spending the extra dosh on hs20?
    i wont be using any digital connections (DVI/hdmi) etc

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    The chicken wire (or screendoor) effect is normaly a product of sitting too close to the screen, so depending on the pjrojector resolution, and how susceptable you are to seeing it, you should be sitting approx 2x screenwidth away. Ie, sit 14ft from a 7ft wide screen.

It does vary, depending on the resolution of the pj (higher the better) and how much it bothers you - you might be fine sitting 1.5 screen widths away for instance. The further back you sit, the less chance you have of seeing it.

If you've already got a player, get the pj and use the player to get an image projected onto a wall, then you can see how big a screen you're happy with, and how far back you have to sit.

I can't help you on the Z2/HS20 issue, though I'm sure there are plenty here who have seen both and can help you.

Gary.

3. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +167
    To try and reduce it, the normal process is to defocus the projector slightly, then the pixels merge into each other - this is a normal thing to do on projectors

With the Panasonic AE300 or AE500 though you don't have to do it as they have smoothscreen technology which eliminates the screen door

4. chris l.

chris l.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    jamiev,

I'm using a Z2 viewed at a distance of circa 4.5m at 100" and notice no screen door effect.

For info: using denon 2200, prog scan, 12m of component cable.

If I move to circa 3m from the screen then yes I can see "screen door".

It all depends on 3 major factors:
    1. how far you sit from the screen
    2. how big a screen you are streching the image onto
    3. you have normal 20:20 vision and not 20/10 etc

If you can see a demo of both projectors I would advise it.

Regards,

Chris L.

5. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    Screen door (or chicken wire) is an artefact of the LCD panel structure of the projector (the finer - i.e. the more pixels - and the smaller the image at your eye - determined by picture size and viewing distance - the less visible it will be).

The source signal (e.g. whether PAL or NTSC or Progressive or Interlaced) will have no effect on this.