1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Z2 better with hd935 or 963sa?please help me!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by gogu, Dec 9, 2003.

1. gogu

gogu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi,
    in two days i'll been receiving my z2, so i need to buy a new dvd player.I dont' know if is better to link the Z2 to a 963 sa in component, or to a samsung in dvi..what do you suggest?
    I'd like to have a very good PQ...make your reviews!
    please, help me..thanks so much!:blush:

2. Noger

Noger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Samsung DVI in 1080p is very good PQ. In fact maybe too good for some discs, as it shows up any encoding imperfections. And there is the occasional judder on big pans, but nothing annoying, only noticable when A/B with Component.

Personally I can live with the occasional poor quality disk to get great PQ the rest of the time.

3. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,047
    Would definitely go with the Samsung, can't beat 720p into the Z2. I've got the 963SA and the results via component are not that impressive to be honest.

Cheers
    Andy

4. gogu

gogu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    anyone has a z2 with 963 or with samsung?please,tell me which is the better compromise!

5. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I think you'd have to go to a much higher spec component player to match the quality of the DVI output from the Samsung.

DVI at 720p is 1:1 pixel mapping to the LCD panel on the Z2 so it has to be a good way forward.

The Samsung can be got for £147 delivered from http://www.pantheronline.co.uk/

Cheers
    Marc

6. GrannySmith

GrannySmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Noger / uczmeg - will the Samsung do 720p at 50hz? I've just picked up a Sanyo Z2 from Ivojo, and this player seems a lot less hassle than a HCPC - I will mainly be watching PAL dvd's.

Will.

7. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldn't worry about 48/50/60Hz from DVD player over DVI, as long as the Z2 can handle the frequency.

Digital PJs normally have a fixed panel refresh rate (60Hz) so will resample the signal anyway.

Haven't seen the Samsung I'm afraid so can comment.

:smoke:

8. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    The Samsung won't do 720p at 60Hz. But as Kramer says it probably makes no difference.

Personally I haven't noticed a problem with it on 50hz Pal stuff.

With a quick test tt does work fine with the Z2 although a 10m Lindy DVI cable was a bit too long...

Cheers
    Marc

9. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    My vote goes to the Samsung and Z2 combo. As stated the image is top stuff. :D

10. cosmo65

cosmo65

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know if the Samsung DVDHD935 from "pantheronline" is already multiregion and does it come with a DVI cable ?

Thanks for your time.
    Cosmo.

11. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Out of the box the 935 is not multiregion. But there is a code you can type (search this forum) that makes it multiregion.

A 1m (maybe 1.5m) DVI cable is included.

Cheers
    Marc

12. cosmo65

cosmo65

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much for your prompt reply uczmeg, it is very much appreciated.

Regards,
    Cosmo.

13. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    No problem Cosmo.

Just found the hack too:

1. Turn on the player.
    2. Press PLAY and STOP on the player. Keep the two buttons pressed until the language selection is displayed, then release them.
    3. Select language.
    4. Press REPEAT.
    5. Enter 57538. The region code will be displayed.
    6. Press 9.
    7. Press OPEN.
    8. Press STANDBY.

If that doesn't work, repeat the process but in step 5 press 38767

Cheers
    Marc

14. cosmo65

cosmo65

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your a real star mate thanks. I have just placed my order with panther so hopefully should have it in a couple of days.

Regards,
    Cosmo.

15. Otto J

Otto J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I have seen a lot of statements like this lately, but I am not convinced that this is 100% correct. I have tried the Z2 on several occasions with both the Philips and the Z2. My experiences are:

Philips, without upscaling: Great picture, stutter-free PAL. Have the Philips convert to 480P/60 Hz, and the picture stutters badly.

Samsung, via DVI without upscaling (havent tried the component outputs, afaik the Faroudja is only active on the DVI output...): Heavy ghosting, but stutter-free pal.

Samsung, via DVI 720P: Heavy ghosting, Pal stutters badly.

Samsung, via DVI 1080i: No ghosting to speak of, PAL stutters badly.

Conclusion 1: The Samsung can't deliver a picture that isn't heavily flawed in one way or the other, so I would definately prefer the Philips overall. The best picture quality is NTSC via the samsung at 1080i DVI though. For NTSC, this is the best choice.

Conclusion 2: It makes quite a lot of difference whether the DVD converts to 60 Hz or not. And it's not the same thing as putting 720P/50 Hz into the Z2. This results in tearing, not stutter. I don't have the technical know-how to say anything about the panel being fixed at 60 Hz or not, but it definately gives a difference whether the signal is converted to 60 Hz or not.

If the Z2 really isn't capable of doing 50Hz correctly, I'd personally go with tearing rather than stutter. And a question: If it's about the panel being at a fixed rate, why don't I get neither tearing nor stuttering when feeding a 576P/50 Hz signal?

Mvh. Otto