1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Z2 and DVI enlightenment!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by dr no, May 9, 2004.

1. dr no

dr no

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,108
    :clap: :clap: :clap:

I have just hooked up my new Samsung HD935 to my Z2 with the supplied DVI cables and WOW!!!!!!!!

I am just blown away by the Picture. I was not prepared by how good the improvement would be. Everyone said it would be better but usually these improvements are barely noticeable.

Lord Of The Rings finally looks cinematic, details from the so many dark scenes are visible as they ought to be, whites are whiter etc.... LOTR was the main reason for buying the projector but picture with component, without Prog Scan, was not the as I would have liked.

This reminds me of my Sky+. I could NOT ever go back!!!!!!!!!!!

What did you others think of your first DVI pictures? Do you agree?

I have ONE porblem though I need a 8-10 metre DVI-DVI Cable and am unable to find one in any of the shops.

Does anyone suggest a good cable company??

Thanks!!!!

2. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Waled,

What are you comparing the DVI picture to? Which connection were you using previously?

Bert
    www.bertcoules.co.uk

3. dr no

dr no

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,108
    Bert
    I was using Component from a Sony 725s. I used to used RGB scart to my TV since 10m Scart cables are more expensive. I find RGB scart gives better picture than Component without prog scan.

4. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try Lindy - mentioned in the cable & cabling forum. Other suppliers too, all to be found there or in this forum using the search function (top right hand side of the page).

:smoke:

5. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,487
    DVI makes a difference but I think the biggest difference is due to the scaling up to 720p or when you use a PC at 1:1 pixel mapping i.e. 1280 x 720. That's when the difference really is like night and day compared to progressive component 480p/625p. Have you watched any hidef stuff on the Z2 yet? Prepare to be amazed....

Cheers,
    Andy.

6. dr no

dr no

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,108
    Kramer,

Thanks. I went ahead and ordered 7.5m from Lindy. I really needed 10m but can survive with the shorter but safer option since everyone advises against anything longer.

Andy,

Yeh, I am upscaling to 720p from the samsung with DVI. I think the picture looks great. But having posted the intial announcement of how pleasantly surprised Iwas there doesn't seem to be many who agree with me ??!!?? Maybe I was stating the obvious. I feel like such a novice now!!

7. o0OBoBO0o

o0OBoBO0o

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Where did you get the Samsung player from ? are you UK based ?

Thanks

BoBBoB

8. dr no

dr no

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,108
    Yes I am UK based. Ha! Ha! Ha!

Finding this player was difficult but funnily enough I bought mine from Unbeatable.co.uk @ £158. Not a bad price. Sevenoaks advertised it for £149 but every store I tried claim not to have any plan to stock any. How weird!?!

9. Tonynolan

Tonynolan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had big problems getting hold of DVI vables. Lindy quality is supposed to be so so and I wanted an 8-9M length... UK retailers only have choice between 5m & 10M. Anything over 5 M you have to be careful.

I bought from a very helpful company in the US which I found via e-bay called cable solutions. Their product details also include some good technical data on cable construction. 100% positive feedback on ebay I thought they were great, and bought 9M component and DVI cables from them.
    http://www.cs1.net/

As for availability of the Samsung DVI player, they had them in stock in Harrods of all places when I was there last week.

10. Dr_Mike

Dr_Mike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Waled, are you watching PAL or NTSC material ? I've been thinking about getting a Z2, but have been put off by tales that the DVI won't accept a 50Hz signal (My DVDs are all PAL).

11. dr no

dr no

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,108
    Not True. All my discs are Pal at 50Hz. And I'm no whizzkid with these things.

All I did was hack the Samsung to multiregion, connect to the projector, and lo and behold.

I know they say you should experience some 'Judder' with upscaled 720p 50Hz but I haven't really noticed it. Although I need to wait for my new 7.5m DVI cable to test everything extensively.

I would strongly recommend the Z2. I got a fantastic deal with the screen. Also consider the HS20 at that great price everyones talking about. But for me the throw distance would put me off. And also cannot give up lens shift on Z2.

12. Dr_Mike

Dr_Mike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Thanks waled, thats good to know:)

So can the Z2 accept 50Hz over DVI after all, or is the Samsung doing a frame rate conversion to 60Hz ?

I was interested in the HS20 as well, but really need a short throw (2m and looking for a 1.45m (H) image)and will be projecting from off centre, so think lens shift is desirable. It will be interesting to see how well the new Hitachi TX100 is recieved as this has lens shift and an even shorter throw than the Z2.

13. dr no

dr no

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,108
    I don't know the answer to that mate . All I know is that it works. You could try and email Sanyo and see what they say I suppose.

14. dr no

dr no

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,108
    Just checked HCC review of the Samsung and it does convert to 60Hz as standard for ALL upscaling of Pal material. I think the higher definitions are standardised to 60Hz.

15. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    I tried using the DVI input to my Z2, feeding it from an iScan Pro (which is in turn fed from the component output of my Denon amp). I used a standard VGA-DVI cable for the final connection.

My impression is that the DVI picture isn't as crisp as the image produced by connecting the iScan pro to the Z2's VGA input. This is with the Z2's picture controls set the same for both inputs (essentially, that's with everything at zero).

The difference isn't great but does seem to be there. I was a little surprised, as I expected DVI to be at least as good as VGA and possibly better. Could I be doing something wrong?

Bert
    www.bertcoules.co.uk

16. scooter

scooter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Hi waled,
    got my 10m DVI cable from www.cobaltcable.com. Very satisfied with the result - mighlty thick cable though, so if you're restricted for space it could cause you a problem.

(should point out that i initially tried a non-branded 10m & had big problems with sparklies - unwatchable really)

17. dr no

dr no

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,108
    Hi scooter,

How much was your cable?

I have just received my 7.5m cable from Lindy. When trying I noticed these horrendous 'sparklies'. So that's what they are.
    I gutted as I'm having some friends round.

I thought 7.5m would be a safe bet!!!

I shall have to return it now. Hopefully Lindy won't argue against.

18. dr no

dr no

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,108
    Scooter,

Also how long from order to delivery??

19. sanj

sanj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi Scooter,

Sorry for the off-topic question but I noticed that you've just fitted
    4 Kef in-wall/in-ceiling speakers and was wondering how you are finding them?

We're currently in the process of moving house and I want to set up my Z2 properly with a drop down screen and am going to take the opportunity to upgrade my speakers.

Your solution sounds wife friendly, but labour intensive, was it?

Ta

Sanj

20. jsebright

jsebright
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Bert,

the whole point of DVI is to keep the original digital signal for as long as possible. You are just using the connector as an alternative to VGA, instead of using a DVI source.
    To see the greatest improvement you need a player with DVI output connected directly to the DVI input of the projector. The player will read the disc, upscale the image to 720p (1280x720 pixels) and send the image digitally to the projector which will shine it onto your screen. I think you'll be impressed with the results.

Jon.

21. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Jon,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I realise now that by using only the analogue side of the DVI input I'm compromising the quality.

Do you think that a DVI-out DVD player into the DVI input of my Z2 would give a result superior to my existing setup, which is a progressive scan player feeding the component-input of the projector?

Bert
    www.bertcoules.co.uk

22. dr no

dr no

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,108
    Bert,
    What you are asking is why I started this thread. I was actually very impressed with the step up in PQ from the set up in question. So yes I would say go for an all digital set up

23. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Waled,

Thanks, that's a valuable comment. I'll investigate the various DVI-equipped DVD players; from a quick search of the forums, it seems that the reasonably-priced front-runners are the Samsung 935 and the Yamakawa 365.

I notice you said that you hadn't really noticed the alleged PAL judder on the Samsung. Does that mean that you have noticed it but find it acceptable?

Bert
    www.bertcoules.co.uk

24. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,487
    I think you'll find the Yamakawa is a much better option than the Samsung. Do some searching on here and I think you'll find that's the case.

Cheers
    Andy

25. scooter

scooter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Hi Waled,
    Sorry in the delay - I've been offline for a few days. Anyway to answer your question, the DVI cable from Cobalt cabvles cost me just under £95 delivered. I should say that they were running a promo when I ordered so I got another x % off (can't remember the figure but if you do a search I did post at the time ~ end jan). Also the nice people from the royal mail found that no-one was in when they dropped the parcel off (5 days after order) so they left it next door so I didn't get stung for input tax/handling charge & VAT saving another £40. :clap:

Thouroughly recommend it. I know its not cheap but considering I'd just laid out on a HCPC set-up (& of course the PJ) I needed a cable that worked & this cobalt cable is the biz. The audiophiles always recommend 10% budget on cables so I guess I'm around that figure now.

Sanj,
    The in-ceiling solution works a treat on the WAF front (they are also designed to be painted ), what I would say though is I don't think the surround effect is as good as mouting in-wall where you'd position 'normal' box speakers. I couln't achieve this with the wall construction I had so they went in ceiling. I'm running PLIIx so I think the issue is less noticeable with x4 spkrs, with x2 you might find image steering a problem depending on room layout.

Mounting the speakers themselves is pretty straight forward, it was running the cables that caused a headache - took about a day which consisted of ripping several holes along the ceiling coving (still not filled yet I might add :rolleyes: ) & behind skirting.

Neil.