1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Z2 a bit dark?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by SurferDude, Aug 20, 2004.

1. SurferDude

SurferDude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To all you Z2 owners out there...

I'm seriously looking at buying the Sanyo PLV-Z2 as part of my home theatre package. I demo'd it today and thought the resolution was fantastic as was the contrast / number of colours. My only concern was the brightness, it seemed a little dull to me.

Admittedly, I was demoing it with LOTR:2Towers which is a pretty dark film, but even the scene where Gandalf re-appears after fighting the Balrog and seemingly "blinds" the surviving members of the fellowship, well I wasn't "blinded". In fact, I just found myself looking at a whitish looking projector screen.

Is the lack of Lumens for this machine a big drag for most of you, and is it a lot less than I should expect at this price point, or am I being a little overly picky on what is fundamentally a great bit of kit.

Your assistance would be greatly appreciated as I am deadly serious about picking up one of these in the not too distant future.

Thanks,

2. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +939
    The iris could have been fully closed which does tend to darken the image somewhat as it seriously reduces the lumens.

I have the iris about half way, as for me fully opened it looks a bit too bright and blacks look slightly washed out, and at this the picture is plenty bright enough.

3. MovieAddict

MovieAddict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I found that brightness varied depending on the DVD. For instance 'Legally Blonde' seemed quite a 'bright' movie. So I think the Z2 itself is capable of being quite bright it just depends quite alot on the input source.