Z2 - 2 days and dust blobs ?

B

bergsey

2nd day of my Z2 out of the box and i've noticed a couple of faint circles when projecting an image - one in the middle of the picture and one in the bottom left corner.

On a white screen, these appear as pink circles around 2 -3 inches in diameter. Tried cleaning the lens and they are still there ? ... On a blue screen i can't really see them at all

Have i got a dust blob or something else ?

The Z2 is brand new and this is only the second day of operation !!

Help appreciated

Thanks

Sounds like dust, yeah. Search for "Z2" and "dust" and you'll find loads of threads - you can either ask the retailer to clean it or buy a can of 'non-spray' compressed air.

Took the plunge and took the covers off the Z2 on the weekend. The dust blobs are gone for now, thanks everyone for the info.

I just hope that I don't regret going the Z2 if it requires constant cleaning... hopefully Sanyo will provide a remedy ? has anyone heard anything from them ?

The prospect of dust blobs scares the hell out of me. Im not up for opening these things up really and dont expect to have to do this at these sort of prices.

No denying the z2 is an excellent machine but I can help thinking the lense shift feature has left them more open to dust exposure than fixed units ????

I know this effects most projectors to one degree or another but a real nightmare on such new units. Its not the first time I have heard this I am glad I went the Panny route now.

Originally posted by harrisuk
I know this effects most projectors to one degree or another

Not Sonys :p

There really is no excuse IMO. I know the "optics" aren't sealed but it's not that difficult to design a "dust" free PJ.

:smoke:

Yes. I have a friend with a hs10. Had it over a year never any problems with dust. I have seen a few cases of Panny owners having this problem but only in older units and pretty infrequently bearing in mind the number of people on the forums that seem to have Panny projectors.

Kramer would you agree that the lens shift function could make the unit more prone to dust contamination? In most projectors I would assume the dust gets in through the air intake / ventilation slots but there seems to be gaps on the Sanyo models around the lens aperture. Ok I’m no expert but surely this is a major contributing factor? You seem to be able to take these things apart (From the open heart surgery pics of your HS10) you must have a good idea about how these things get effected by dust ?

would you agree that the lens shift function could make the unit more prone to dust contamination?

In the case of both Z1 & Z2, yes, the lens shift is contributing to or largely responsible for the dust ingress. I was told last year by a retailer that owners who never (or rarely) used the facility had far less problems with dust blobs on Sanyo units.

Obviously Sanyo are using negative pressure to draw air across the panels which results in unfiltered air being drawn into the unit.

My HS10 uses positive pressure meaning the only air reaching the LCD panels has to pass through the filter.

Simple logic meaning I'm baffled by Sanyo's (& other manufacturers) design :confused:

I run my HS10 without the front cover fitted (causes reflections with the CC40r filter) & there was/is quite a bit of fine dust around the lens assembly. Most of the air drawn into the HS10 is unfiltered but still the crucial polarisers/panels & prism assembly remain dust free.

I'll post some pics later to illustrate....

Sanyo? Are you listening?

:D

I have seen quite a few people complaining about dust problems on Sanyo projectors and having seen a Z2 I was concerned about the potential for dust to get in through the front of the unit. Ultimately this is what putting me off buying this projector.

Lense shift is a great feature but its not worth it in my opinion if dust problems is the compromise. OK these things are now very reasonably priced but I dont think it is righte to sell something for over £1000 and expect people to take it apart after two days to get rid of dust. I feel sorry for the people who are being affected by this problem it would infuriate me :mad:

I dont think it is righte to sell something for over £1000 and expect people to take it apart after two days to get rid of dust

Especially given the fact Sanyo must have been well aware of the Z1's problems in the "dust" department. They had plenty of time to redesign the Z2 & avoid all these problems for owners :(

The cleaning process was really easy, although I wasn't too excited about having to take the thing apart. This will be a real pain once I have it ceiling mounted.

I used the following guide :

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show...threadid=339154

My dust blobs showed up after 2 days and only a couple of hours running - haven't used the lense shift at all yet, just unpacked it and let it rip. My only positive is that at least I know that the problems weren't caused by something more serious.

Sanyo, if you're out there, please come up with a solution !!

Panyy ae500
Day 1 = blue dust blob slap bang middle screen
Day 15ish = exchanged for green blob (blue now on right hand side)
month 1 = oh look, another blue blob at 6o'clock position

in total 3 blobs in about 1.5 months.

(can't wait for the red blobs to appear - then they can all have a party>>>>

Mmmm does not sound good. But thankfully that the first time I have heard it though I am sure not the last. How do you clean them off ?

harrisuk: I've just plucked up the courage and sorted it out.
read this thread: Werid green "light" appearing being projected by AE500
(it's quite exhaustive, but all the posts are useful).

Anyway, no blobs now, was just wondering if I should stick something else (another filter?) over the inlet port otherwise I'll be doing this fairly regularly. ...Or will this reduce the air flow too much and cause overheating? my flat isn't that dusty and the projector is in free space so it must be the ae500 filter that's rubbish?

thanks bud. How are you finding your Z2? I just hooked mine up to a HTPC and am loving it. Tried a demo of the new HD stuff coming out at the end of the year, which is true 720P, and it was amazingly clear. DVDs look good now, but your Z2 is only going to look even better once the HD DVD format hits us.

No worries. I'm really happy so far (except for the dust blob scare)

I probably got a bit excited and ordered too early (and pricejapan are too fast to deliver !) as i'm about 3 or 4 weeks away from moving to my new house. In my current place I can only project the image by re-organising the whole loungeroom ! that means that the speakers etc end up behind me and the overall experience isn't ideal. The image even on a dodgey pinkish wall looks fantastic though !

Once I get in the new place i've got a dedicated room so really looking forward to that. I'll then start tweaking (bought the PAL digital video essentials) and get myself a fixed screen.

I received the D4->component cable from PJ last friday (it was on back order) have hooked it up, but at the moment can't see a huge difference between that and the S-video

HTNovice, forgot to ask how are you connecting your PC to the Z2 ?

I'm looking at hooking mine up to play a bit of flight sim....

Tried a VGA to DVI cable which worked ok but resolution wasn't fantastic..... I gather you've gone DVI - DVI.. what resolution etc and is there anything specific i need to know ?

Hi Bergs,

I'm using DVI to DVI, and have set my GeForceFX5700 to output at 1280 x 720. This is the native resolution of the Z2, and apparently provides the best picture quality.

PC Games look simply amazing, especially with anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering enabled.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom