Z1c or Z2

cunnas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all
I'm in the nice position of looking for a new phone. I'm set on the Z series due to the good reviews but most importantly for me anyway, the excellent camera.

I've had a note 3 and HTC one in the past so used to big ish phones so I'm a bit unsure about whether the compact might well be too small. I'm going to go on to a shop tomorrow to see.

Given the choice would you get a z1c or wait for the z2?

I'm undecided whether to go on a contract to spread the costs or buy out right.

Any advice would be appreciated

This doesn't really answer your question but I was in a similar boat and ended up picking up a Z1 yesterday.
Bought locally, 3 months old with proof of purchase, unlocked in brilliant condition for £245. At half the price of a Z2 I'll be adding a Tesco mobile sim only deal (free 4G) for £12.50/month when my vodafone contract is up for renewal next month.

I did look at the Z1c but when I factored in what I actually use my phone for (browsing, sat nav and sky sports tv) the bigger screen made more sense. This is coming from an iPhone and betrating large phones!

If the latest flagship is important to you go for the Z2. What put me off is the fact Z1's are only 6 months old and have halved in price on the secondhand market. I wasn't used to that coming from Apple devices and would find that kind of drop hard to swallow if I was buying sim free. Likewise, I refuse to be tied to a 24 month contract!

Thanks mate, I should have mentioned the Z1 as I am assuming it is literally just a larger version of the Z1c.

I probably use my phone for the same reasons as you - browsing, streaming, pictures etc so the larger screen is a plus but having read reviews of both, a lot of people are saying the Z1 is a bit clunky whereas the Z1C is perfection.

I can get a Z1 from smartfonestore for around £280 and the thought of going (back) to Giff Gaff on a £15 monthly deal makes me feel a lot happier than my current £33 a month, 24 month contract (I currently have a M8 which I am 99% sure I am returning tomorrow as the camera is pants).

What are your thoughts on the Z1? Any niggles?

That's my understanding- bigger version of Z1c, although technically the Z1 had a full HD screen whereas the Z1c is 720p.

Loving the Z1 so far. It's got KitKat now too, which feels very solid to use and just as user intuitive as iOS. That was my main worry coming over from an iPhone but it feels great so far! I think the KitKat update has only been out a week or so, maybe the 'clunky' comparisons predate that?

Great build quality on the Z1 too, definitely a premium phone. The glass is lovely.

Most phone shops should have both in stock, so give them a try :)

I think I will have a look in the shop to check the sizes out.

Coming by a second hand Z1 or Z1C seems pretty tough and looking at the contract prices via O2 and the like, you can get a Z2 for not too far off what you would pay for one of these, a few quid more a month but nothing too outrageous.

Think I am definitely taking my m8 back tomorrow and will have a look at CPW and see what they say about the Z1/Z2 deals. Either way I'd buy online cos of Quidco. I'm a bit tempted by the Z2 deal on O2 at the moment. You pay about £40 a month which is my absolute maximum but get the Z Tablet for £99 plus £120 via Quidco

I reckon if a second hand Z1 comes up on here in the next week I'll get that but if not I'll go with the Z2

There are some not bad deals on the Z2 I spotted today, if you are a new customer for example.
O2 have the Z2 on pre-order, £119 cashback from O2 on the £38 Refresh contract, "£80" of various apps/videos/music and option of £99 for a 10" Z tablet too - £270 to £300 on eBay if you sell it.

Assuming you sell the tab for £250 (after fees) and the cash back tracks then you're looking at £642 net cost over the 24 months.
A second hand Z1 from smartfonestore and a £12.50 sim only/PAYG tariff will set you back around £550 over the same 24 month period so that does seem like and excellent deal with O2.
Plus less cash to lump down upfront. That's what I'd do.

Sorry to hijack this thread but I'm also in the position of getting a new phone and wondered which model to go for. I'm going to be getting it from Virgin as part of my bundle deal with TV, broadband and home phone so I won't be able to shop around for a better deal. Although to be honest, the Virgin prices aren't that bad and you do get insurance thrown in.

Anyway, I don't know whether to get an Xperia Z, Z1 or Z2? I've ordered the Z purely because it was the cheapest of the three at £19 a month (this is based on a basic tariff of 100 minutes, 250 texts and 250mb data) but I'm wondering if it's worth changing it to the Z1 as it has a better camera and battery and seems to be an overall improved design but then again, seeing as I'm getting a brand new phone should I just go for the newer Z2? The Z1 is £28 a month and the Z2 would be £39.

I won't be making lots of calls or sending loads of texts really but I want it as a music player and phone (instead of using my iPod Touch and separate cheap mobile like now) and as a camera as I do a lot of walking and it would be great to have a device that does everything all in one. I'll mainly use wi-fi for the net when I'm at home so I think the 250mb of data should be enough.

What do you guys think? Should I stick with the Xperia Z or go for one of the more expensive but better phones? Thanks.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom