1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

z1 v ae300 v hs10 (and scaling/res questions)

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by martintyler, Feb 18, 2003.

1. martintyler

martintyler
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone here compared these three projectors?

There's a comparison here (near the bottom) http://www.projectorcentral.com/panasonic_pt_l300u.htm

How does resolution affect the picture quality with these lcd projectors? The first two have 960x540 resolution and the sony has 1366x768. The review linked above (american site) is obviously biased towards either NTSC or HDTV so the 960x540 works well for them.. but what about PAL on a 960x540? Then again if it has to scale to fit then does having more lines help that much, if its not 1:1 then does it matter?

Does anyone know much about internal scaling in units like this? An anamorphic 2.35:1 PAL dvd has unused lines at the top and bottom.. does something like the z1 know this and therefore use 1:1 to display it?

2. xander

xander
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Can't comment about the Z1 or HS10, but the AE300 manual states that PAL interlaced via component gives AA quality (i.e. best quality). This leads me to believe that the AE300 scaler does a failry decent job (as does the deinterlacer).

3. severnsource

severnsource

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    As far as I can see the Z1 scales all its inputs, with the possible exception of 960 x 540 VGA; even with a PC in this mode you have to fiddle with the PC and Z1 settings in order to get 1:1 pixel mapping.

Having said that it does a very good job of scaling.

In theory the Z1 will lose vertical resolution; 540 lines rather than 576, but if you sit far enough from the screen to render the 'screen door' invisible you wouldn't be able to see the extra resolution anyway. I think the resolution will be limited by the source material rather than the projector, especially if you use broadcast signals as a source.

The Z1 will show any none 16 x 9 source in the same way as any other 16 x 9 display. E.g. your 2.35:1 dvd will give you black bars top and bottom of the picture. It does have a zoom mode on the composite inputs which would allow you to zoom in to about the full height of the picture, but you will then cut off the sides; the display is still 16 x 9.

If you think about it, even if there was an anamorphic 2.35:1 mode using the whole of the 16 x 9 display panel, the only way that you could display this correctly would be to use an anamorphic lens on the projector. Even doing this won't give you any more resolution anyway, because the vertical resolution has been lost in the DVD coding.

Bill

4. martintyler

martintyler
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you missed my point slightly for the 2.35:1 thing (I or might have misunderstood part of yours). I wasnt talking about getting rid of black bars... i was just talking about getting a 1:1 scaling on the vertical resolution. Since some of the 576 lines at the top and bottom will be blank it could just not use those. Therefore using all 540 lines. Would still need a lens i suppose to squash it back a bit.

5. Underscore

Underscore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The zoom function is only for 4:3 letterboxed w/s material - either regular letterbox w/s (e.g. R2 Leon) or open-matte (e.g. R2 Much ado about nothing) - and does not apply anamorphic correction. So, you could use it on 2.35:1 anamorphic DVDs, but the results would look very strange!

_

6. severnsource

severnsource

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Sorry, I must have misunderstood. I thought that you wanted to use all 540 vertical pixels to display your 2.35:1 source. If you did that you would not be using 1:1 mapping. 2.35:1 sources are presented as a 2.35:1 image on a 16:9 raster, so a 2.35:1 source only uses 1.78/2.35 of the 576 lines, about 436 lines. Hence if you use 1:1 mapping you will only be using 436 of the vertical pixels, and will still have black bars top and bottom of the picture.

What I had in mind was the digital zoom mode, which I now realise is only available on PC sources. Using this mode allows you to zoom in to the image, to make your 436 lines fill the screen top to bottom, but cuts off the sides. Yes it is just a zoom function; as I said if you do this you lose the sides of the image and end up with a 16:9 window on a 2.35:1 image, but it does let you use all 540 pixels of the display.

Bill