1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Z1 optimum for PAL resolutions?!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by jimbobuk, Feb 23, 2003.

1. jimbobuk

jimbobuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I thought of previously going for the X1 but as i mentioned elsewhere i'm finding it hard to find a supplier that will send me an X1 given the knowledge that I could have problems with the rainbows people seem to see with the X1...

I've moved over to the Z1 as the only real alternative in that price/performance.. I've read a lot of good about it.. most of it though is geared towards americans talking about its HDTV performance by being exactly 1/2 HDTVs resolution, scaling works better...

I'm just a bit concerned that its resolution represents one that requires quite a bit of scaling to suit PAL resolutions... are there better projectors to consider or is the Z1 really a great 1st projector..!??!

I'm looking at ways to mount it... just wondered what kind of space around the unit is wise to let it cool itself properly... how much space behind it is crucial.. i was considering putting it on a shelf on the back wall... though going for ceiling mounting may be the only option to reduce screendoor by positioning the projector infront of my viewing distance allowing me to get further away than 1.8x its screen width...

2. severnsource

severnsource

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I wouldn't worry about scaling; the Z1s scaler is pretty good. The amount of scaling needed is not very much, 540 pixel rows to 576 lines and as supplied it overscans quite a bit so it may be set up to approximate to 1:1 line to pixel mapping for 625/50 TV systems ---- but then again perhaps not!

The Z1s shortcomings are not in resolution. In my view they are:

1 - colourimetry is not quite right, even with a FLD filter, whites have a slight green cast
    2 - sometimes get minor line pairing on midtones with movement - probably a de-interlacing artefact
    3 - blacks are not totally black
    4 - pixel grid structure is visible

However, from what I have read on the forums all LCD projectors have these problems to some extent.

You're right about the positioning; wanted to put mine on a shelf on the back wall, with the screen at the other end of the room about 17 feet away, unfortunately that gave a 3M wide image. Very impressive, but expensive to provide a screen for, and the 'screendoor' is slightly too visible. With this projector I think that you do need to have it slightly in front of the viewing position to minimise the visibility of the screendoor. You should be able to shelf mount it but you need to leave a few inches clearance behind the projector for the exhaust.

For the price I would recommend it highly, it would be nice to have an HS10 or something with more pixels, mainly because the panel structure would be less visible, but the HS10 is nearly twice the price of the Z1.

Pros of the Z1:

1 - lens positioning - this is really useful, particularly if you haven't permanently mounted the projector yet. You can put the projector almost anywhere in front of the screen and get an undistorted image- you don't have to position the projector to the nearest millimetre, or use keystone correction.
    2 - geometry is to all intents and purposes, perfect.
    3 - convergence - at least on my sample, is to all intents and purposes, perfect.
    4 - uniform colour across field
    4 - small and light
    5 - versatile in terms of inputs and adjustments
    5 - cheap for a projector
    6 - reasonably quiet

You should really try and see one in action to see if its compromises are acceptable to you.

Bill

3. jimbobuk

jimbobuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    thanks for the pointers bill.. i'd love to see one in action.. but i gotta wait and see... planning to use it on a computer so the DVI of the rival 300u is tempting me but if we get stung in the UK or if i'm too impatient i've no doubt i'll be trying a Z1.. would have to find a way of mounting it further forwards than i was planning...

Cheers

Jim