Z1 Lamp Dead In Under 500 Hrs!(new record?)

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Promised Land, Dec 1, 2004.

1. Promised Land

Promised Land
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Switched the PJ on last night,lamp warmup countdown finished,picture appeared for two seconds and then.......pop,the lamp went out!So anyway,the fan still goes and there's no "replace lamp" led on,but the lamp won't come on at all.I contacted Ivojo and they say there's a small chance it's the ballast that supplies power to the lamp,but,surprise surprise,it's almost definitely the lamp(it was getting dimmer,so the signs were there).Now,I could send it in to be checked,but if it is the lamp I'll be charged labour and carriage(and still have a dead PJ).So what would you guys do?
    I also have to say that,other than the occasional 10-12 hour marathon(falling asleep after a few beers!),it's never on for more than 3-4 hours at a time and has always been allowed to cool with the fan before powering down.Now I know the old "surely it should last longer" debate has been done,but the last time I checked(about a fortnight ago)the lamp counter was on about 450 hours.Now I know why people choose the smaller screen size of plasma or rear pro :mad: I only bought the bloody thing in February of this year!

2. Promised Land

Promised Land
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I'm surprised nobody has replied to this.It's obviously a very common and acceptable occurrence and you've all seen lamps go faster!

3. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    It wouldn't be the first lamp to go belly up at those hours, but that doesn't make it anymore palatable for you.... :eek: .

Other than offer you sympathy (and I'd be p1$$t off in your situation), the only suggestion I can make is that you approach Sanyo, point out that the projector is still under guarantee, and indicate that you're extremely unhappy that the lamp hasn't lived up to expectations. Lams are usually covered by 90 day warranty only, so they may not entertain a complaint form you, but some persistent well worded emails might get you some result - you don't really have anything to lose.

Sean G.

4. imf

imf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don´t know about Sanyo but Epson giving warranty 90 days/500 hours on lamp. Maybe you will get some compensation. Keep on trying, good luck.

5. Promised Land

Promised Land
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys,didn't want to turn this board into a "shoulder to cry on",but it is extremely annoying!I'll take your advice on contacting Sanyo,as you say,there's nothing to lose in doing so.