Z1 Improve Picture Quality

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by SCOTT_SCOTLAND, Jul 12, 2004.

1. SCOTT_SCOTLAND

SCOTT_SCOTLAND

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got a Z1 and a Harman Kardon DVD30, running with half decent cables (the best i can afford).

Without spending heaps of dosh (which i dont have) whats the first option for improving picture quality. The dvd30 improves quality with the progressive scan but was just wondering what to save up for.

Any ideas are most welcome.. apart from upgrading the pj as my wife would hit the roof :suicide:

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Proper calibration with Avia or DVE, assuming you haven't done so already.

:smoke:

3. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Agree with Kramer's advice - you could also do some reading about using a Hoya FD filter, or a ND (neutral Density) filter to improve blacks/contrast - do some searching here or over on avsforums.......... Nice work on the attic conversion, btw.

Sean G.

4. retrof

retrof

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I have a Z1 and DVD25 - the first big step was to calibrate with Avia (NTSC) and DVE (for PAL), after adding a Hoya FL-D filter. Made a big difference - the calibration moreso than the filter, but the combination helps a little with shadow detail.
    The absolute biggest improvement for me came with moving to a Yamakawa 365 upscaling player, connected via DVI-I to the Z1's VGA port, and running at 720p. I've kept the dvd25 for CD duties, and now use the Yamakawa solely for DVD viewing. It really shows up a bad transfer though, but on a good quality transfer, the picture is excellent (not "soft"/"lacking detail" like the progressive output from the dvd25)

hope that helps.
    -rf

5. AVJ

AVJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi retrof !

I also owned a Sanyo Z1 Projector, and is currently feeding the Z1 with Philips 963SA (at 480p/575p).

Do you think your mentioned "Yamakawa DVD Player" can make a big difference in picture quality when compared with the Philips ?

What about the "digital audio output" sound quality of the Yamakawa (when feeding into the Surround Amp/Receiver) ?

Could you provide the full details / spec on the Yamakawa DVD Player ?

Looking for your reply & many thanks !

6. retrof

retrof

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi AVJ,

Cannot compare to the 963SA - only the DVD25. I detect no difference in the sound output via digital (QED Qunex coax to Denon 1803). I expect there would be a considerable difference between the analogue outputs though (DVD25 would be better - no surprise there).
    Full spec of the model 365 is available on www.yamakawa.de .

-rf

7. SCOTT_SCOTLAND

SCOTT_SCOTLAND

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can you please explain what the filters all about, how it works? costs? ect ect :lease:

8. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    There's a link in the FAQ...............

Sean G.

9. Gomez

Gomez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To get the best out of the Z1, you need to access the service menu. Changing certain parameters results in a much sharper picture and eliminates some phenomena like scan lines.

The Yamakawa certainly does a nice job for the price, but it has some severe problems with the film mode .

Regards,
    Gomez

10. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    The biggest improvement is to turn the 'Gamma' setting all the way up, even after calibrating with AVIA mine really needed that. I've also upped the gamma a bit on my DVD player too, it brings out details in the shadows that are otherwise compressed to black. I also use the warmer colour temp setting, can't remember what it's called but the one just before 'mid', as it reduces the green colour cast a bit. That's all I've done, not felt the need to go into the service menus as mine seems good enough as it is.