1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Z1 Flash

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by scottAV1968, Jan 31, 2004.

1. scottAV1968

scottAV1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got a Z1, when i switch it on there is a flash from the lens, is this normal, also there is a green blob!! on screen, whats caused that?????

Formally Scott686868 but cant post messages for the life of me, tried and tried again...............

Anyway,hello again

2. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,950
    Don't worry that flash is normal, all part of the switching on process.

You say a green blob?is it around 4/6" diameter sounds like a dust blob.If you turn focus ring one way or the other you may see the dust spec in focus on the screen.

If it is dust, to get rid, you will have to open her up and blast away with the old compressed air.

When I get more than 2 or 3 dust blobs I do the compressed air routine, only takes 15 mins.

3. scottAV1968

scottAV1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It' only a couple of months old, will tis affect the warrenty and what exactly do you mean by open it up ?

4. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,950
    I have had to open my Z1 twice in the last 8 months to get rid of dust blobs.Dust is a fact of life with projectors and you generally have to accept that you will have to clean your pj every so often.

Opening up the projector stricktly speaking does void the warranty and you could send it back to the retailer for a clean.However I would not want to be without my pj for a few weeks every few months for what I can do myself in 15 mins.

There are 5 screws on the underneath of the projector these screws need removing.Then you need to prise open the case to remove the top.When prising open for the first time be carefull as the lid is attatched to the inside of the pj by a ribbon cable around 4" long.

When you have disloged the lid you will see that the ribbon cable is attached at 1 end to the controls on the underside of the lid,and at the other end, splits into three cables going to three squarish holes(this is where the 3 lcd panels are located).

What you do next is to get a can of compressed air and give 2 or 3 short (2 to 3 second) bursts of air down into the 3 square holes.This should clear any dust on the panels.Then replace the lid and screws and voila! no dust blobs.

Regarding the can of compressed air,do not get any old can,make sure that it is the type that can be used inverted as you do not want any freezing/ liquified propellants coming out of the can onto your lcd panels as this will ruin your pj.I got mine from RS components,See link below.I hope this helps,do not be affraid to do this yourself as it will only take a few mins and once you have done it you will be quite happy to do it again when dust blobs re-appear as they will to be sure.

http://rswww.com/cgi-bin/bv/browse/...eID=ukie&3253250133=3253250133&stockNo=497280