1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Z1 ceiling mount - word of warning

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by mattij, Dec 19, 2002.

1. mattij

mattij

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ceiling mounted my Z1 yesterday with a DIY mount, and came to find out that Z1 is more vulnarable than one might think from its appearance. I attached the Z1 on a 1cm thick wood plate with a normal screwdriver with no extra force (I'm no superman). Powered up the Z1 and vola, picture so flawless before, now had a yellow fringe about 10 pixels wide on the right edge of the picture. GREAT. I loosened the screws as far as I could without riskening the projector to fall down, and the yellow efect got smaller, but it is still visible in the right bottom corner. AARGH. I checked the connections, inputs, lens shift and everything with no result.

Anyone experienced the same, any suggestions what to do, other than banging my head to a wall?

Thanx,
    mattij

2. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,027
    someone who has an AE100 had a similar effect. I think the screws were twisting the chassis of the projector and therefore affecting the picture.

It isn't so much how far in the bolts go, its more likely to do with how square they are in comparison to each other so that when they are screwed in they don't force the chassis to move too much.

3. nphnet

nphnet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I would suggest that the unit could be at fault because I too have ceiling mounted and have the screws done up tight, but not too tight, I am glad to say I have none of the problems you seem to be displaying. Perhaps a visit to your dealer would warrant a replacement?

Nick.

4. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    mattij,
    richard plumb has the correct answer. Tightening the screws on your home made bracket has twisted the chassis out of line.

Remember, the pixels are tiny (3/100th of a mm wide each) so even the smallest amount of chassis distortion will have a big effect on the projected image.

You have two solutions -
    the first is to try and twist the chassis the other way to correct the problem. I have to say here that this is dangerous - it could work or it might make things much worse. The risk is yours.

second is to get the projector sent to a Sanyo service agent to have the panels realigned. Then just be more careful when you next install the projector.

Regards

5. Mr Pink

Mr Pink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am just about to ceiling mount my Z1 unit but I have been warned about this sort of thing happening before. I have decided that I will simply fix a shelf to the ceiling and place the unit the normal way up (ie on its feet). Luckily I can get access to the joist very easily.

Going by the manual, the keystone and the lense shift adjustment work in equal measures regardless of which way up the unit is, I will just have to “chock” the back of the unit up to get it pointing down slightly. This way there will be no “foreign” objects inside the unit itself.

When I fix it all up I’ll let you all know if it works or not.