Z1 and Xbox

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by paveypop, Jun 22, 2003.

1. paveypop

paveypop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

I have got my xbox connected to my Sanyo Z1 via a composite lead (RCA x1), this is the only lead i have at the moment.

I have noticed that while playing games the screen pulses in the middle, this does not happen when i play a dvd down the same wire.

does anybody have any ideas why this is happening.

Regards

Dave.

2. Duncan Craig

Duncan Craig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I have the same problem, Z1 with XBox.

Composite or S-Video, still there, really noticable on Ghost Recon on Night Vision.
    Very strong chroma with the night vision on (Green).

The problem sometimes settles down after a while, try switching the X-Box on after the Z1 has started up.

Very happy with the Z1 though.

I'm using it to project a friends wedding that I shot for them, fully authored DVD, onto a bloody great bed sheet, with a lot of their family round.

It's in a huge round and I'm not even using the full brightness lamp mode and it's still very bright.

3. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +320
    I have my xbox connected up to a Z1.

The bare minimum I would recommend using is an Offical advanced scart cable and a "RGB Scart --> Component" converter. Maybe you could get away with the US Hi-Def cable (which is component)..I haven't any experience of that.

The picture rocks! I haven't the vocabulary to tell you how awsome Burnout 2 is on a 8ft screen with a good picture :)

For about a week, while I was waiting for the converter box to arrive, I was feeding the projector with composite...quality was extremly low. Colour bleeding, picture occasionally pulsing etc...It's just due to the fact that you're squirting the whole picture signal down the one naff cable...rather than keeping the core RGB colours separate.

Regards,

Jus

P.S

I have an official advanced scart cable for the xbox going into a scart switch box (Quattro+) - The quattro has tv, dvd, GC, Xbox going in and then out of the quattro comes two scarts. One to feed the TV. The other goes into a "RGB Scart --> component" converter. You can then feed the component cables from the converter box into the projector for a great picture.

I feed the component cables into a Briteview then feed the projector with a vga cable.

4. paveypop

paveypop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Why do you use a RGB Scart --> component" converter.

why not just a scart to component lead this is a lot cheaper.

I am still learning all about these standards.

Regards.

Dave

5. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,097
    Hi

Everyone should remember that you can feed RGB SCART directly into the VGA socket on the Z1. All you need is the correct cable.

Steve

6. jtorry

jtorry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    stevelup: What cable is that? Where from

7. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,097
    Hi

Basically you just connect R->R G->G B->B Composite -> Hsync on the VGA input. It works like a dream.

Keene et.al. do made up cables but you can DIY. Cheapest and neatest way to do it is to get a ready made VGA cable the correct length, then cut the plug off one end. You can then attach a SCART plug (or socket) directly to the end of the cable.

The picture quality is absolutely stunning when wired this way.

Steve

8. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +320
    Dave, RGB Scart is a much better picture. Do a search and I'm sure you'll find a few threads explaining it in detail.

Steve,

I guess you're talking about the SANYO RGB Scart --> VGA cable. Problem with that is the XBox doesn't have a scart socket in the back. It has a "Microsoft" socket. So you wouldn't be able to use the SCART --> VGA cable.

9. Mirablo

Mirablo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "£$%"£ing Microsoft

10. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +320
    Never thought about that before. PS1, PS2, DC, Xbox and GC. None have a standard Scart socket. They all have to create their own little socket to capture the cable market. Thank goodness TV and DVD player manufacturers don't do that as well!!!

11. paveypop

paveypop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

can you just run through the connections for vga to scart, do you need to connect all the grounds for red/green/blue etc,

i am going to buy a vga cable and make my own , the sanyo one is £30.00 for 2 metres !!!

Will the scart rgb to vga be ok for dvd,sky,xbox , i am connecting them all into a scart switcherthen running the one cable to my Z1.

currentky i am running everything through composite so i should see and increase in quality ???

Regards.

Dave

12. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,097
    Paveypop,

Connect Red->Red, Green->Green, Blue->Blue and Composite -> HSYNC.

The difference in quality is night and day.

Jus,

I know the XBOX doesn't have a SCART socket - no console has a SCART socket!.

You still need an XBOX (or PS2 or Gamecube or Whatever) SCART cable but you can either cut the SCART plug off or use a female SCART connector.

Basically to make a quick and easy lead do the following.

Buy an x-metres long VGA cable.
    Cut the plug off one end
    Solder a female SCART to the other end as per my instructions above.
    Plug the XBOX SCART into your new lead.

If you have an RGB distribution amplifier or switchbox (Quinttro) with more than one output, you can plug the projector and TV in at the same time. This is what I have done.

Steve