1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Z1 and HCMW screen and 60hz HTPC (COMER)

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by ROne, Dec 14, 2002.

1. ROne

ROne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Posted my initial thoughts of the z1 (good colours, good contrast, slightly distracting screen door.) now I have got my da-lite HCMW 80" 16:9 screen.

As far as I know you can't get this screen in the UK which is a shame cause it's cheap, although by the time I had imported it from USA it got more expensive (180$ + 150$ delivery plus 40 quid VAT), cost me about £300 all in.

I got a Model B with CSR featuring DA-LITES new Home Cinema Matte White fabric which is a slightly grey colour. I have move from a painted screen to this, along with my Z1 from the toshiba MT-7, running a HTPC in both cases.

The picture is a hell of a lot brighter with a screen than with the wall, I must have been absorbing a larger quantity of light with the grey paint as the brightness really hits you. The screen is rated at 1.0 gain.

Downsides: As the screen is not a fix permanent one, it rolls up into a black case automatically with the CSR feature, you get waves of varying degrees in the screen which is why the screen is cheap and intended for Schools and lectures rather than HC. However if you read the AVSforums you will find there are people with lots of problems and it seems to be 92" upwards that have the biggest share of the waves, as I am looking now I can see one in the bottom left hand corner which I will do something about. Bear this in mind if you want a screen like this. It's not as good as a fixed wall (greyhawk) type screen in build quality.

Right Comer, running the HTPC at 60hz 1:1 there are is no tearing at all, not seen one in about 5hours. However there is thye expected micro judder from the inverse of the 3:2, I am going to play around with the reg settings for TT to see if I can improve this although I doubt it. I have yet to try other freq. as I have only just got my screen up but I will let you know.

One thin I have noticed using this combo is how revealing it is of DVD artifacts in general, spiderman in the crowd scene (a difficult compression target) looks like SKY qaulity, even my mum noticed it was fuzzy.

I think we care getting close to the limit of DVD with the projection gear...

2. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Thanks ROne

In the last few months I'm starting to accept that my expectations with regard to picture quality is alot higher than can be achieved with DVD/projector. But we must be realistic, 480 line resolution is meant for a 32" image not 100"

I look forward to hearing how u get on with other refresh rates

Enjoy your new projector it sounds great

Conor

3. gwbailey

gwbailey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rone,

Could you please tell me where you got your Da-lite from?

Have you fixed the problem with PC/PJ judder/stutter yet?

please keep us up dated!;)

Regards,

4. ROne

ROne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have eliminated the judder, you just have to have several goes at doing the timings on the projector and it just seems to work. Even though I got the timings spot on the first time I then dialled them in a second time and it reduced the judder, don't know why.

I got the screen from AVSforums/avscience.

I have made a modifiaction to reduce the vertical banding, but also have dust problems which I can't shift.

See http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=204199

5. Swamp Donkey

Swamp Donkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am using a Z1 with an Arcam 88P (PAL progressive player). I get fine vertical lines at regular intervals mainly in brights scenes, especially things like clouds, steam or smoke.

Is this simlilar to what you are experiencing?
    Any ideas how to reduce or eliminate?

Thanks

PS: How do you access the service menus?

6. gwbailey

gwbailey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I wonder if it's the Arcam or the Z1?

Anyone else had this problem using other Progressive Scan DVD players?

Anyone?

(service menu; press select & input on the Z1 for 5-10 secs. exit by pressing on/off power on remote)

Regards,

7. Swamp Donkey

Swamp Donkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have now tried component and component progressive (PAL). The faint lines (banding?) are present on both. I'm going to try the S VHS input. l'll also try getting hold of another DVD player.

Thanks for the info on the service menu;)

8. ROne

ROne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    The banding is inherent in many lcd projectors, even on my toshiba mt7 1280x720.

If you follow the link above (and it is as you describe) you will find my workaround.