z-5500 digital or analogue w/ kenwood speakers?

Desertfox92

Standard Member
Reaction score
hey all, I have my Logitech z-5500 connected trough digital Coax which is good sound and all, but now I was wondering if I would connect it via analogue (and use a splitter for the front l/r) would it be better since I have these 2 kenwood speakers. (see the pic for the specs of the speakers)

Speakers are from 1989 if I recall correctly.
Reason I'm asking is because I'm no audiophile, I don't hear if its better/worser, the only thing I hear is that the sound seems to be wider since the kenwoods are placed more to the left and right then the z-5500.

I'm using onboard so do I need to soundcard to get better analogue sound? a friend of mine recommended the Asus Xonar D1.

Here's a pic of the whole setup. (replace the x530 with the z-5500 afcourse;))

Last edited:
If you want 5.1 sound then you need to use a digital cable to connect your system to whatever source you are using (DVD?). Analogue cables (normally with one red plug and one white plug) will not carry the surround signals.

Not quite sure what you mean about splitting L+R?

Your pictures in the post haven't worked so I can't comment on the Kenwood speakers but you do need to be very careful. Speakers for all in one systems like this normally have a very different impeadance to hi fi speakers. If they are very different then you may damage the speakers, amplifier or both!

The impeadance is normally printed on the back of speakers, amplifiers etc. and is quoted in Ohms.

If you want 5.1 sound then you need to use a digital cable to connect your system to whatever source you are using (DVD?). Analogue cables (normally with one red plug and one white plug) will not carry the surround signals.

Not quite sure what you mean about splitting L+R?

Your pictures in the post haven't worked so I can't comment on the Kenwood speakers but you do need to be very careful. Speakers for all in one systems like this normally have a very different impeadance to hi fi speakers. If they are very different then you may damage the speakers, amplifier or both!

The impeadance is normally printed on the back of speakers, amplifiers etc. and is quoted in Ohms.

The source is my PC so getting 5.1 sound is not a problem.

What I want to do is this: connect the z-5500 trough analouge, then use a 3.5m spliter on the PC's front output (green one) with this then. but only when it sounds better with the kenwoods, since you can't see the pic of the specs i'll wright them down.
system: 2way 3 speaker system

mounted drivers:
midrange:110mm (4-1/2 in) core
tweeter 50mm (2in) cone type
nominal impedance 8 ohms
maximum input power 140 watt
rated input power 70 watt
sensitivity: 89db/w at 1m
frequency response: 150hz to 20.000hz
crossover frequency: 5.000hz
weight:6.5 kg/14lbs
Like i said I would like to know if it would sound better over analogue with the kenwoods and if I would need to buy a sound card to get better analogue performance then onboard.

as for the pics perhaps the direct links work http://i46.tinypic.com/28vdj6o.jpg http://i46.tinypic.com/t5q8ue.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom