YxY, PTAE100, Anamorphic, etc..help!

D

Dodgey

Hi all, I have an HTPC running Powerstrip, PowerDVD delux, Dixv codec. Connected to a Panny PTAE running Wide 480. I play DVDs, Reg 1 and 2 and DivX movies.

What I have always been confused about is ratios.

Mostly, things look just right on the screen. Some DVDs seem to take up the whole 16:9 screen (I'm assuming they are anamorphic? or are they just 16:9?), most seem to be more cinematic (black bar at top and bottom) - can't remember the ratio. Either way, they look fine, no distortion.

Just occasionally a film won't appear right. You can tell the software has stretched it vertically (people are taller), but not by much. This is usually Divx movies, but not confined to this.

A while ago the problem got so bad it drove me wild. So I rebuilt my PC (XP Pro), reinstalled my dvd software and all was fine (mainly).

I have started to notice discrepencies again and am now looking to understand what is going on. I have noticed some folk use YxY ratio software.

Now this is where i get confused. The author says that the basic concept is that you set the ratio for Anamorphic DVDs, and if you play a non anamorphic DVD then you simply stretch the picture 33% vertically so the PJ always thinks it is getting Anamorphic (he says you set your PJ for anamorphic). This is what I don't get. My Panny says it is running Wide 480. That's it. No mention of anamorphic. Does the PTAE "support" anamorphic? Or is Wide 480 anamorphic?

How do I know if I'm "taking advantage" of anamorphic?

Damn confusing?!?

Help :)

Pack Dude

What are you using to play your divx movies? It sounds like they being played in the wrong ratio. Look for a setting in your player that "keeps the aspect ratio" (or so setting like that).

Or try another player like media player or the new winamp.

D

Dodgey

I'm using PowerDVD deluxe for XP (the latest one with DPL 2 etc) - it used the Divx Codec. I've tried other players such as Windvd and get the same problems.

The latest version of PowerDVD does nto seem to have a lock aspect ratio.

What I think I'm really looking for is an explanation of Anamorphic and how it relates to my Panasonic...

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung HW-S60A + LG SP8YA soundbar & KEF LS50 Wireless II Reviews: Movie & TV Show News & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom