1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yx Why?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by tryingtimes, Jan 4, 2002.

1. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +548
    HI all
    I've been using my HCPC for a couple of weeks now (been away!) along with my BG808 projector.

I've been using PowerDVD XP 4.0 for the most part and been pretty happy with the results.

I've been getting all the films to display with the correct aspect ratios without resorting to YXY.

Am I right in thinking that I don't necessarily need yxy or have I been missing out on some great feature!

Regards
    Alex

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,083
    YXY is useful if the image you're displaying doesn't sit where you want it to.

I have a 16:9 screen, and it isn't central to the projector. 2.35:1 films sit just below center, which is fine, but 16:9 films sit a little too low, and the bottom goes off of the bottom of the screen, and there's a gap at the top. I use YXY to move the image up till it fills the screen.

I can use it to move 2.35:1 films to the top or bottom of the screen too, depending on how I feel. :)

It's also handy to move and mask other ratios - 4:3 movies can be letterboxed, or shrunk to fit, depending on your preferance.

You can use it to display the full 576 or 480 lines of resolution of a film, and have the sides overspill (lose some of the image) if you're that way inclined. My MPact2 used to downconvert dvds to 340 lines, then upscale them to the correct resolution and ratio using interpolation. This lost some resolution. Getting the player to send a full resolution anamorphic image allowed me to use YXY to display the full resolution and aspect ratio exactly how I wanted it.

I'm hoping to get Zoomplayer to work properly with my set-up, as that does the same thing, but is much easier to use.

HTH

Gary.

3. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +548
    Damn!
    Last night I answered my own question.
    I had a friend around to watch Taxi (R2)
    It's non-anamorphic 2.35:1 but the subtitles are on two lines and with the image centred and full width the second line falls off the bottom of my 16:9 screen.

Obviously with YXY I would have just been able to lift the image up (just loosing the top black bar) to reveal the subtitles.

In the end we watched something else until I get chance to fiddle with YXY (my quick play didn't get me very far)

If only I could get TheaterTek to play smoothly - then I REALLY wouldn't need YXY!