1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

yuv,vga or scaler for samsung lcd tv

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by thering, Jul 4, 2005.

1. thering

thering

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

bear with me i have a lot of knowledge on home cinema and pcs but none on scalers so for once im a newbie.

I have a samsung dvd player which has prog scan output via component leads, in samsungs infinite wisdom my new samsung lcd tv has only a dvi-d input.

so no link there, ive seen leads for component to vga (pc currently link via this) but take it these arent worth anything.

so question is is the quality from a dvd player using prog scan that much improved over a good quality scart lead and if there is an improvement in quality is it worth the cost of purchasing a scaler to handle this input and output via dvi-d (keene electronics have a couple). if the scaler is worth the money would it improve the signal from my freeview box (stable signal) as opposed to using the direct scart option,(as their blurb states it does)

any help would be appreciated as im starting to get a migraine :clap:

dvd is http33
    lcd tv is le32a41b
    media center built around dvine 4

2. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +837
    Hi thering,

So you have a de-interlacer in your DVD player, a de-interlacer in your LCD TV, and you are now thinking about getting a de-interlacer in a scaler as well. It may be the best way to get the best picture, but it does seem like a waste of resources. I could never really understand why DVD players had de-interlacers, as that is the function that need to be done at the display, as there are usually several other interlaced sourced that need to be converted. Ah well, can't change the world, and your situation isn't atypical.

The answer to the first part depends on whether the DVD de-interlaces better than the LCD, and that's difficult to determine without a commitment or knowledge, so it's a maybe. If the DVD isn't too bad then RGB over scart may be the convenient and cost effective way forwards. However, I have to say I saw a good picture on a Hitachi plasma last week, that was being fed by a modest progressive scan DVD, which I think was an LG or Samsung.

Using a separate scaler will most likely give you the best picture, but you will have to climb a certain way up the quality and price ladder to equal and beat what you have already. And that may become disproportionately expensive and difficult to justify.

Maybe the best solution is with a PC. How do you use your media centre? That could be a cost effective DVD player, de-interlacer and scaler in one.

One final obvious question, though, and please forgive the curious impertinance, but if you have a lot of knowledge on home cinema, then how come you have a DVD and an LCD that you cannot connect properly?

All the best, Nick

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,933
    thering

I have to say I agree with welwynnick - I thought the big draw for a lot of folk to the Samsung players was the relatively low cost for a player equipped with Digital (DVI or HDMI) Output.

If the DVI Input on the TV is HDCP compliant and capable of accepting 'Video' resolutions then your most cost effective solution for DVD playback is a new Samsung player with DVI or HDMI out.

The cost of the majority of Video Processors discussed on these threads looks proportionately too high when you look at the cost of your TV - though if your keen to explore that DVI Digital connection without spending a fortune an AvreMEDIA TV Box9 at sub £150.00 may be worth a look; we get good feedback from folk we've supplied who are using them as a way to bring everything together into one Digital connection.

See http://www.averm.co.uk/avermedia/aver/products_tvtunerbox_avertvbox9.asp

Best regards

Joe

4. thering

thering

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good point, i have a certain problem, impulse buying lol, and well i had to sell my dlp projector and hi end audio system due to moving into a flat, therfore cannot go as loud as i used to, so to cheer ones self up went and spent a few bob without thinking about it, something now i regret lol, but hey can always sell the dvd on ebay at a great loss, that will teach me!!

as for media center i run 99 percent of my music and dvd from hardrive using my movies etc i presume the quality is comparible using an nvidia fx card. but its mainly the freeview though looks shocking to be honest, although as i said a stable signal, may have to change the freeview box i guess to a better model