1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

YUV to RGB

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Will18, Jan 17, 2005.

1. Will18

Will18
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm currently looking for a new DVD player and also looking into Progressive scan and am under the impression that this is only possible through a component video connection and also am under the impression that this gives the best picture quality, better then usual scart.

But the problem is that I don't have a TV with Component input which got me onto this product the CM-333

Now what I want to know is will using component and this device give a better picture then using a scart cable? and also would it be able to give a Prog. scan signal(I'm thinking no)

Thanks in advance

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,392
    Well it's a definate NO to progressive scan via a YUV>RGBs converted signal.
    It's more difficault to say if the converted picture will be better than straight RGB, but I would assume not. Every time you convert a signal there will be some loss of quality and you are still feeding the signal to the TV via the lower quality scart.

Mark.

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Actually the conversion from YUV to RGB (or vice versa) is nearly lossless.

Scart is not a video signal, it's a cable/connector type. Scart can carry composite (CVBS), S-Video and RGB. RGB is as good as YUV (non-progressive) while progressive YUV is certainly better (followed by VGA/RGBHV and DVI/HDMI).

Regardless if the CM-333 would actually convert progressive YUV to progressive RGB your TV does not understand progressive scan (PS), so PS is a no-go in your setup.

As the DVD player does the conversion to RGB there is nothing to gain from introducing the converter into the chain, so just leave it out. But make sure to get a fully-wired Scart cable so that RGB can work. :)