YUV & RGB output - help please from anyone who knows about them ???

dagger

Established Member
Reaction score
Can someone please give me some advice.

I have a JVC dvd player which used to be perfect and output in the normal way thru a scart in RGB format.

I then decided to update the player to multiregion with a simple firmware upgrade. - all seemed okay , until I noticed that there was no longer the option of RGB output !!! The picture looks a bit hazy now and not pinsharp like before.

In place of the RGB option in the settings menu I noticed it now says YUV as the main option.

Am I stuffed now or do i just need some component leads or is yuv better than rgb anyway ... aaaaargggghhh I dont know what to do

Please help any comments appreciated

I dont Im afraid, its a standard Sony 32" w/s tv with 3 scarts on the back (1 is RGB) thats it

Any other ideas ???

I presume you've made your player multiregion using a firmware upgrade on cd meant for a usa player. You need to find a multiregion firmware for a european spec model and your RGB output will be restored. For the moment though an s-video connection will give you the best picture quality and not composite via the scart cable which is what you are currently using.

Thx bonzo - Im not sure I'll be able to find a european hack as it took me an age to track down a company selling the one I used.

Thx for the advice re svideo - I'll try that and see if it improves things

The best input is RGB, but if you have progressive scan then most device will only output in YUV, that case use YUV.

THA35r its a home cinema setup with the speakers etc

The best input is RGB, ...
Nope, related to DVD players there should be no difference between YUV and RGB.
Remember that the picture information on the DVD is stored in component (aka YUV) format.

Originally posted by Reiner
Nope, related to DVD players there should be no difference between YUV and RGB.
Remember that the picture information on the DVD is stored in component (aka YUV) format.

Tis true:)

OK but I cant understand then why does my picture look fuzzy edged now compared to pinsharp when RGB output was an option before ??

cos your TV, not liking YUV, is now using composite from the scart perhaps. You should be getting a nice sharp green picture from YUV into RGB I think, but you haven't mentioned green. Composite is the other choice on the SCART, I think.

Yes, when dvd player splash screen initially comes up its ivivid green - then changes back to normal picture when film starts

Scart transmits RGB (if fully wired), S-Video and composite. YUV (aka Component) is normally not transmitted via Scart, some exceptions do exist however (e.g. Loewe). YUV uses a red, green and blue RCA/phono connector and it is NOT compatible with RGB (which means Red-Green-Blue) and thus the TV would need a compatible input.
Therefore I suggest to contact the company that did the mod and ask them to get RGB output back or use S-Video instead, compatible in-/outputs assumed (if necessary by means of adapter cables).

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom