1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

YUV component splitter?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by fraggle, Jul 13, 2004.

1. fraggle

fraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Does such a beast exist, who makes it?

Basically what I need is a black box that takes the interlaced or progressive YUV component output from my DVD player and has two YUV outputs, one for plasma, one for projector.

Most splitters are the SCART type that do RGB and SVideo and composite, not what I need.

Only need two sets of outputs! :D

Anyone seen something suitable?

frag

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    You could use a (passive) AV splitter, i.e. those with white, red and yellow RCA connectors. Or some Y-cables.

3. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Hi frag,

The Zektor HDS4 will do what you require but might be out of your price range. Have a chat with Joe at The Media Factory.

Steve

4. sdv28

sdv28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Extron do a beast designed for RGBHV but can be used for YUV. but at around £350 not cheap!!! but does give full signal to both displays simultaneously!

6. fraggle

fraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
  7. fraggle

fraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Answer back is "yes it does" so I'm about to order one (plus a load of X10 stuff).

I'll have to get some 15 pin DSub connectors and phono plugs, 75 ohm cable and knock some adaptor leads up, so Maplins next stop :)

I'll report back when everythings set up if it makes a difference to image quality.

8. fraggle

fraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    The HDS4 takes multiple inputs and provides one output switched between them. Isn't what I'm after but thanks for pointing out Zektor, never heard of em before! :)

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Let me know how it goes fraggle as i need one for work and the MD cancelled my order for the Extron one! also do Keene do D-sub to RCA leads? or even BNC???

10. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,466
    Fraggel

Zektor produce two Component Video Switchers (HDS4 and HDS4.2) - both accept YUV or RGB signals plus Digital Audio.

Both Zektor's have four inputs and the HDS4 has one passive output whilst the HDS4.2 has one passive plus one 'buffered' output - ideal for driving long cables to a projector; both outputs on the HDS4.2 are always active.

Both Zektor's act as learning remote so you 'teach' the switch commands from your existing remote or use them with a Pronto.

Both Zektor's can convert Co-axial digital to Optical digital and vice versa.

As you've seen there are many switchers aimed at the corporate presentation market that will switch or distribute YUV and RGB Component video.

I'd be very wary of using the very lowest cost switchers if you don't want to introduce artefacts into your video image - scrolling bars, lack of focus and additional noise being the common problems; not a huge issue in a training room but a big issue in your Home Theatre.

Also if your running long cables to your projector these devices really struggle to drive the cables - they are designed to drive 1-2m of VGA cable to a local monitor. And of course having VGA connectors is a double whammy as your then restricted to thinner cables for the long runs when in fact you generally want thicker cables.

If Zektor is outside your price range we have other lower cost (though not £50.00) alternatives you can try - though none will match the Zektor HDS4.2 in the set up I see you have in your profile.

Best regards

Joe

Horny - I read a post yesterday from someone in Cardiff advising customers not to cut corners for the sake of saving a few quid :)

11. fraggle

fraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Thanks for your comments Joe.

The conveter from Keene is on its way, along with an order from Maplin for lots of bits to knock together adapters for the VGA sockets.

When its all set up I'll find out if/how much it degrades the signal.

I'm keeping costs low because it all mounts up, horribly fast! After paying for the plasma and cabinet I've forked out for IR repeaters (£50), YUV splitter (£50), X10 bits (£125), cables & plugs (£100), auto ventilation for the cabinet the amps will be in (£150). £475 just on bits to integrate the whole lot!

When we started thinking about this upgrade it was just going to be a 42" plasma & stand. Not £8k of stuff! :suicide:

Anyway, if the splitter isn't any good I'll just feed the DVD to the Plasma via interlaced RGB and the progressive will goto the projector. I ain't going to be spending any more for a while!

Rich

12. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Rich,

To quote the Zektor website regarding the HDS4:

"It's flexible inputs and passive switch contacts allow for switching of 5 wire video formats such as VGA (RGBHV), as well as reverse operation (1 source to 4 outputs)." Hope this helps.

Steve

13. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Tell my boss that! I want to order the Keene, it look crap and then gret him to order a proper one!

14. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,466
    Dutch

As you say you can use the HDS4 in the unconventional 1:4 mode - though again keep in mind the outputs are unbuffered so your relying on your source having enough puff to drive long video cables if one of the outputs is going to a ceiling mounted projector.

Best regards

Joe