1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

YUV Calibration

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Ross82, Sep 14, 2005.

1. Ross82

Ross82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Morning Folks,

Ive recently hooked up my dvd to my pj using a Component-vga lead however when the pj picks up on the component input the image is very very pink.

Ive managed to find the YUV calibration settings however i have no idea what they should be set at to ensure a correct image.

The are just set to Red offset = 41 Red gain = 108 (for example)

Is there any way if caculating the values for this or do i need to send it to a professional.

Thanks in advance folks.

Ross

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,019
    If it's very pink, then maybe one of the other colours isn't connected properly - are you sure you have all three colours outputting correctly? If you use a test disk to send it RGB individually, you'll know if green or blue are absent or not.

Gary.

3. Ross82

Ross82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Thanks Gary,

i had already sent the image RGB (via vga) and the picture was fine. Its only when the input is changed to component that it goes pink!
    Confuesed to say the least!
    :confused:

Where would be the best place to get a test disc from. Ive been wondering if it would help me improve the final picture??

4. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Ross,

The red cutoff, red gain etc are for adjusting the colour temperature. To use them you will need a test disc (suggest Digital Video Essential which can be got from Piero Milani in the power buy section) and either an optical comparartor or the sort of kit that we ISF guys use.

5. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Ross,

The red cutoff, red gain etc are for adjusting the colour temperature. To use them you will need a test disc (suggest Digital Video Essential which can be got from Piero Milani in the power buy section) and either an optical comparator or the sort of kit that we ISF guys use.

6. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,019
    If it's genuinly a color temp issue then you can choose a different colour temp from the pj menu which should correct the pink colour, but if changing those doesn't alter it much and it's OK via other connections I would have thought it was more likely to be hardware.

A test disk is usefull for various things including grey scale calibration, but one of the most important test patterns allows you to correctly set the white and black levels. There's a sticky at the top of this forum with info on what test disk to use and how to use it.

Gary.

7. Ross82

Ross82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Thanks Both for the advice. There is a setting on the PJ called "colour space" but unfortunatley this menu is hidden until a HD input is present, and at this time i have no way of doing this. My DVD is sending a 480p signal but its not enough for the menu to appear. i think 720p or 1080i is the only option.
    I would keep it running through RGB but unfortunatley the PJ's native resolution is 800x600 thus not enabling me to change the aspect ratio to 16:9, through component i can which is why ive been trying to get the colour space correct.
    Any other ideas folks?
    Thanks again
    Ross