1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

YUV and RGB component!?! what does it all mean?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by evilash, Sep 30, 2003.

1. evilash

evilash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    from time to time when looking for a component cable, i get asked whether it's rgb or yuv component i am looking! personally i thought that rgb only applied to scart cables... what does it all mean? sorry for being so dumb but the question stumps me every time! any links or help muchly appreciated...

2. bxd

bxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Hi,

The three cables (75ohm video coax) that are used to carry YUV can also be used for RGB where they sync signal is carried as part of the green signal ( that's called RGsB). Scart cables are designed to carry RGB as RGsB (on three internal cables) or as RGBs where the sync signal is derived from the composite video signal carried on a fourth cable. Scart has been around for a while and was designed to carry interlaced rgbs. This was intended for computer displays but was never really used for that purpose.

Brian.

3. evilash

evilash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    thanks for the reply bxd !

gotta say it's as clear as mud but thta's only due to me being a total idiot!

4. RichardA

RichardA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To try and help lift the fog and expand on Brian's response;

Technically RGB and YUV are both 'Component' signals - i.e. they carry the basic components of the picture information separately - but is the real world Component is generally assumed to mean YUV but it's always a good idea to check !

The signal frequencies of RGB and YUV are similar and, excluding SCART, tend to use the same connectors (RCA Phono or BNC) so the only real reason for asking this specific question would be to determine how many wires you needed.
    YUV requires three only (the synchronising pulses are always on the Y signal)
    RGB could need three (RGsB - Synchronising pulses on Green) Four (RGBS - one wire carries the Horizontal and Vertical synchronising pulses combined) or possibly Five (RGBHV - one wire for Horizontal syncs and one for Vertical syncs)

However DVD players are not technically allowed to output any form of RGB on separate connectors - these are only allowed on SCART and the VGA 15 pin D type.

It might be more revealing to find out if these stores charge differently for 'RGB Component' and 'YUV Component' cables !

Hope this helps a little.