Yummy - upgrade already, so advice needed!

Majik

Ex Member
Reaction score
Can't believe this - having only just got into HC, and buying that RS package (For those that care or remember) I popped to GuyB's place last week and purchased a subwoofer. Much better system. Lovely in fact.

The I got some advice about setting up for the redesigned front room. All was ready to go, I even went looking for paint colours!

Then, Peter was kind enough (I think...) to advertise his full set of Boston 90x's on classifieds for a price that I just couldn't ignore (I kind of feel like I robbed him for 200 quid....).

So, the bottom line is, I did have a 5.1 processor (Sherwood RD6108R), a front room that is about to be redecorated, a set of Moviestar 6's, a Kef KSW2000 sub, and now I have all that and 6 x Boston 90x's and a Boston 90c :)

The room is about to be redocarated, and I know next to nothing about anything beyond 5.1 (Yep, I've searched and read, but still need advice...). Obviously, I am fully aware that I am limited to 5.1 until I upgrade the amp, but I want to future plan the speaker installation so I use it at 5.1 until such a time as I upgrade, but when I do the speakers are already there for the upgrade to happen (Still with me here? Good - I'm totally lost!!!)

I'll show the pic again of my current setup...

frontroom2.bmp

This seems like a daft question - but do I ditch the Moviestars for the Boston setup, or do I simply "plumb" in the Bostons and upgrade the speakers at the same time as the amp? Or do I ditch the Moviestars now and use 5.1 through the Boston setup, whilst having having a 7.1 install??

Am I right in assuming the extra 2 speakers should be front facing from the rear, left and right of the focal point?

Help me!! I'm confused!!!

Majik

Try both sets, if you prefer the Bostons then dump the Moviestars immediatly. Your room is going to be difficult for 7 speakers unfortunately. Ideally the current rears should come forward 1/2 meter to be inline with your ears and about 1/2 meter above your head. Move posh sofa about 1/2 meter away from wall (if poss.) to get equal distance between side Bostons.

Then the extra rears should go directly behind your posh sofa (not the peasant's one) about 1 meter behind and 1/2 meter up. You could use audio delay on your new amp, but the window is in the way and probably too far back anyway. So the best place for #6 and #7 Boston is on the far side of the table behind the sofa, about 15 cms apart but then they are a bit low. Oh, dear!

Perhaps some tall, 1.2 meter stands you could site in the tables place? Otherwise ceiling mount the #6 and #7 Bostons to fire down at your sofa, but about 1 meter behind your head?

Don't you just love cinema setup in the average British living-room? :D

Originally posted by Nobber22
Don't you just love cinema setup in the average British living-room? :D

Nope. :) I'm thinking that I could put number 6 and 7 either side of the window, aiming down at the main sofa, and shuffle the rears forward to in line with earshot of the main sofa, and as you say, pull the sofa a smidge to the centre of the room, assuming GF allows me :) If I put them on the table, there would be a twist, pull, throw motion form the GF towards my nether regions unfortunately!

Would 6 and 7 be too high to be effective? They would be about a foot below the ceiling, aimed downward, so about 6 foot up from the floor (I have pretty low ceilings).

Thanks for your help, BTW!

Majik

Originally posted by Majik
Would 6 and 7 be too high to be effective? They would be about a foot below the ceiling, aimed downward, so about 6 foot up from the floor (I have pretty low ceilings).

It's not the height I would worry about too much (my measurements are close to Dolby Rules which are tough to match at home anyway), but how far the rear wall is behind your sofa?

You'll need to tweak the delays on the extra rears. I don't use delay, but someone else may be able to tell us the max distance- should be several meters at least. It's also worth checking which amps can adjust all 4 rears via audio delay, before you buy.

Work hard on the WAF with the missus to get the speakers as close together as you can. On the edge of the window frames if possible, or even just above the frame, below the ceiling. If you have to go in the corners, you will still get very good sound. You will just have to tweak all the rears a bit more to achieve even rear sound panning. :smashin:

The rear wall is about 1.5 metres from the rear of the sofa. The GAF factor can be kind of bendable - getting the speakers to the edge of the window would not be a problem.

Is the distance too little though?

Majik

Originally posted by Majik
The rear wall is about 1.5 metres from the rear of the sofa.
Is the distance too little though?

No, just about perfect. :) Bendable WAF - ahhh, some of us can only dream. :(

Originally posted by Nobber22
No, just about perfect. :) Bendable WAF - ahhh, some of us can only dream. :(

lol - bendable GAF even better ;)

Ahem...

Thanks for the advice Nobber - most appreciated!!! Will rustle up a plan and post it to see what you think.

Cheers,

Majik

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom