Yuki's New Media Room Project

yukichon

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Ok , im about to start my new media/home cinema room this week . Im demolishing the existing garage and start from the groun up . I have a small amount of AV knowledge mostly learnt from here so ideas and suggestions throughout this build will be very much appreciated . I dont have a definate final design but the many ideas i do have have come from you lot so thanks to those who posted there pics :thumbsup:
Ill try to update as often as poss and ive included the first pics of the existing area before the groung prep work starts this week .
The overall size of the building will be 8.3m x 3.0m with the back 2.3 being divided for storage and access . This means the actual room will be 6m x 3m of man-space :D
My mind looks fairly made up on the home cinemas setup ( unless something comes out during the project ) and will probably consist of :

Infocus IN80 Full HD PJ
7ft Fixed Screen
Denon AVR1909
PS3 ( games and blu-ray )
Kef 3005SE + HTB2 Sub

Once again , im well up for some input :thumbsup:

rszcimg3173gw5.jpg

rszcimg3177tm9.jpg

Last edited:
I use Photobucket mate.

Very easy..!

Look forward to the pic's.

RS Marco is right, try photobucket. Very easy.

Good luck. You have certainly stumbled upon the right forum. There is a huge amount of experience here (me excepted). Personally I intend stealing as much as I can............

Ive uploaded but then what...di i click on the image tab above the message box ? then what do i do ? ive tried the link for forums it reads like this

[img=http://img76.imageshack.us/img76/4466/rszcimg3177tm9.th.jpg]
[img=http://img76.imageshack.us/img76/2229/rszcimg3173gw5.th.jpg]

....all french to me , once ive worked this out i'll delete this Q&A sessionand just leave the relevant stuff :lease: :suicide:

you just need to copy the bottom URL code on the photobucket site and then just paste that into your post. I don't bother with the image icon.

Last edited:
I just went to your site and copied the direct link data and right clicked it onto the post.

:thumbsup:

Basically the problem is that for some reason you missed the brackets forward slash IMG close bracket at the end of the link you embedded.

As RS Marco said just click on the bottom of the 4 buttons under the picture you want to copy....the IMG code.

24hrs ago I hadn't a clue how to do this now of course I am an expert :)

Basically the problem is that for some reason you missed the brackets forward slash IMG close bracket at the end of the link you embedded.

As RS Marco said just click on the bottom of the 4 buttons under the picture you want to copy....the IMG code.

24hrs ago I hadn't a clue how to do this now of course I am an expert :)

:thumbsup:

Looks like its a decent sized space for a good project! Not wanting to throw a spanner in the works/put the s**ts up you, but when was that garage built? Looks like it could be a prime contender for asbestos city! Always better to err on the side of caution so thought id better say something! :)

How are you dividing the home cinema space from the storage at the back of the room. If it's a solid divide, and you have an enclosed space of 6m x 3m for the main room, this isn't ideal acoustically. If you can keep the room open, even if the final 2.3m is for another use, I think it'll benefit the sound in the long run.

Good luck, and remember to post lots of pictures :smashin:

Mitsi , its made of prefab concrete and could probably withstand a nuclear blast :eek: Luckily the roof which used to be asbestos was replaced before we moved in so no probs there although in front of the garage to the side is a mains drain that serves mine and 2 other properties , this eans that i have to be able to access it which means the front has cant be square :mad:

Shocka , unfortunately the garage acts as our main storage so i have to have to dedicate some to that which includes lawnmower etc , so in this case asthetics take president over accoustics :( , by the way the sound will be delivered through a set of Kef 3005SE ..... can i borrow some of your bass :rolleyes:

Ok ..... its been 2 days and the garage has been demolished , rubbish cleared , ground leveled and then concreted . Pretty good progress , just going to leave it over the weekend to set then the screeding . I cannot believe how much **** you can build up in a garage . Here are a few pics....

dsc01022fz6.jpg

dsc01024sw9.jpg

dsc01026kg8.jpg

dsc01025tw1.jpg

dsc01027xn9.jpg

dsc01028ob1.jpg

Yukichon, what a nice project. I think an outside room for home cinema would be perfect. Perfect for dedicating it to it's purpose (and not having make sacrifices for acceptibility by the other half) as well as creating a little haven away from the everyday toil of life!

Looking forward to the pictures, looks like you've got your skates on.

PS: Pics in last post not working currently?

Ive got the floor being leveled then the brickies in . Your absoloutely right , this is a defo 'manspace' away from house so it doesnt annoy the wife too much which is always a good thing and i can live without fear of coming home to find Twix hand prints all over my screen :eek:

He is an update on the progress , the brickies are in and the place is taking shapr , unfortunately i cant have completely flat walls as im only using 4 inch blocks to utilise as much width as poss, this means that i have to have a 9 inch pier half way down each wall . The area wher the wall goes around the mains drain is a pain but i suppose i could use the shaping to build some storage ( ideas please ). They should be done today with some luck , the weather has been kind :D

dsc01031lp4.jpg

a cement mixer
dsc01033yz0.jpg

aerial/bedroom window shot
dsc01032nd6.jpg

builders working (not something you see at roadworks )
dsc01034kc1.jpg

dsc01036ak3.jpg

these are the 9" piers

I must say this definetely looks like its going to be a good and interesting build, good luck and i shall follow your progress, so keep the pictures coming!

That was a t of the range precast badboy with pebbledash.....it doesnt get any better than that :D
Believe it or not the bloke that took the ruble away said that he had to dismantle a very similar one a few weeks back and deliver it to a man that had bought it off Ebay for £300 :eek: .... i paid for mine to be smasned and binned !

what a brilliant idea, no compromise, no windows i presume?

The blockwork was finished over the weekend whilst i was away , only problem is that i have to wait until the later part of the week to get the roof going as the builder ( friend ) is busy :(

I just want the outside done as the inside is whats important to me , im begining to get a bit taken back by the types of wires and placements of everything , i just dont want to get it wrong :rolleyes:
dsc01038rm6.jpg

dsc01039kn1.jpg

dsc01041nx6.jpg

dsc01040iz9.jpg

:clap: Ive finally decided on my projector :clap:

Im going for the InFocus IN80 and a 7ft fixed screen for the sum of £1475 . Im getting it from some guys called 'intoAV' in Stevenage . They were extremely helpful and showed me the In80 and then compared it with the In82 which was twice the price . Not once did they try to sell me something more expensive than i wanted , and they showed me different clips from an eagles concert and Transformers to give me a different image .

Im certainly not a videophile so im not going to go into detail , but i can tell you that to my eye the difference wasnt worth the almost double price tag ! the 82 did seem to have a bit more depth to the picture but that was about it , even when the lights were on i could have comfortably watched it .
The screen looks like its very well built and has velvet edging , its very taught as well .

Last edited:
No great insights from me Yukichon, just to say I am really looking forward to seeing how your build finally turns out. Keep the pictures coming.......

This is one of those posts you just have to keep visiting regulary to watch the progress - thanks for the constant stream of updated pics which make all the difference. :smashin:

Just one thing, how are you bringing the power in? Thought there might have been a telltale bit of conduit or similar in the corner of the slab but don't see anything.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom