1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yuk! old speaker cable alert........

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by pizzed-monkey, Mar 1, 2002.

1. pizzed-monkey

pizzed-monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    a deep pit full of rattle snakes and a very old l
    Ratings:
    +14
    .....I've recently got into all this home cinema stuff thanks to the great help of these forums everthing I've brought so far has been because of helpful recommendations here! But like people warned me, once you start you're always looking to your next upgrade.....;)

So now I have my gold marantz sr4200, misson 77ds rears, Tosh210 DVD, US Gamecube, and various IXOS interconnets my next problem is all the old speaker cable I'm using.

At the moment I'm using great big piles of Monster original cable stuff (big thick cable with see throu casing) that I've had for years.....am I right in thinking this really doesn't cut the mustard?

I'm interested by the cheap IXOS cables on Ebay,

607 (flat, sticks to things) 99p/m
    603 (flatish) 99p/m
    6007 (the one thats looks like a 3 way twizzle stick) £1.27/m

would any of these be an upgrade on the monster?

or do I have to look further up the cable ladder (bearing in mind the quality of my system)?

When It comes to speaker cable I havn't got a clue I'm affraid, so even basic advice would really help me out.:confused:

BTW: my other speakers are warfedale modus 8 floor standers for the front, and a mission 77c centre, yet to arrive.

cheers in advance!
    pizzed-monkey

2. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A good rule to go by is 10% of total equipment cost for cable and interconnects.
    IXOS and QED have an excellent range of cables and interconnects, 607, 603 have had good reviews, and for 99p/m is good value, but if you want something a bit special go for the QED silver anniversary about £4.50/m but it's worth it, or QED bronze about £3.00/m, either of these cables would not be an overkill with your system.
    I think you will get better results with the QED than your monster cable.

3. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +936
    Also have a look at

www.chord.co.uk their range starts at 3 quid a meter.

Good cables too.

4. pizzed-monkey

pizzed-monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    a deep pit full of rattle snakes and a very old l
    Ratings:
    +14
    ....thanks for the info!

I had concidered silver aniversery as well, £4/m is the cheapest I've found, but this soon adds up though - when you start measuring the distance to the rears! :(

Is the quality so important going to the back 2 speakers?
    or even the centre for that matter?

cheers!
    pizzed-monkey

5. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +936
    The centre carries all dialogue so make sure the cable is decent as well, its not as important for surrounds but ideally you´d use the same cables all round, if possible!

6. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Agree with jase.... ideally you´d use the same cables all round, if possible!
    All cables have different characteristics, thats why it is important not to mix and match, same rule applies to brands of speakers.
    You could go for QED S/A for the fronts and QED bronze for the rears, which would be better than S/A fronts mixed with the 603/607 rears. Or go for QED bronze all round.