Answered YSP-4300 Permanently Mute

YSP4300

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I have a Yamaha YSP-4300 sound bar which I bought about 4-5 years ago and had been working pretty good until 6 months ago when it started malfunctioning. Basically every once in a while no sound would come from the speakers at all until I cycled through the input sources (I only use the Optical Input and nothing else). Then suddenly even that stopped working (i.e. cycling through the sources). Then I decided to let it sit, powered down, for few weeks and then I tried again, it worked for a day then it quit. I have tried using HDMI and USB (Iphone, which used to work before) and no sounds from those sources as well. I did not get around to look at it until now, i.e. sat powered down for few months and still has the same issue.

Basically problem seems to be related to the Muting function of the sound bar, as the Vol. indicator on the display seems to blinking regardless of what I do. According to the manual, the system is Muted when the volume indicator is blinking. Yes, I have tried toggling the Mute button and it does not work. I tried performing factory initialization procedure which did not fix the problem. Next I tried upgrading the firmware to the latest I could find (12.00.05) and still no luck. Then I opened up the entire thing to see if there is any obvious damage i.e. bulging capacitors, bad/loose soldering and as far as I can tell everything looks okay on the surface (just visual check).

I found a repair manual and it seems these model have Diagnostic menu which could be used to further diagnose the problem. I can boot the sound bar into diagnostic menu but I cannot seem to navigate away from initial Diagnostic Screen (11.Vol 0). According to the repair manual I should be able to press the up/down/left/right button to navigate the Diagnostic menu but I have no luck with that. Its NOT stuck on that screen i.e. I can use other buttons to perform different functions but I am unable to navigate to other diagnostic screen. It also does not show any protection messages.

As far as I can tell everything works except the system is some how stuck in Mute mode. I have done a lot of Googling and I can barely find anyone with Yamaha Product who have the same issue as I do. I think there was another post on AVForum number of years ago with same problem but the post has no resolution. I am at my wits end, I was hoping either repair the thing by replacing a faulty component, or perhaps somehow force the system to complete reset. It looks like the diagnostic menu has lots of features however I cannot seem to access it.

Apology for a long long post.

According to the repair manual I should be able to press the up/down/left/right button to navigate the Diagnostic menu but I have no luck with that

Have you tried pressing the centre “Enter” button before trying up/down/left/right?

Have you tried pressing the centre “Enter” button before trying up/down/left/right?

Thanks for replying, I just tried pressing the center "Enter" button before others and I still cannot navigate to any other diagnostic screen. I have attached screenshots from the manual which deals with getting into the diagnostic mode. Perhaps I missing something.

Attachments

• Page1.png
    Page1.png
    211 KB · Views: 505
  • Page2.png
    Page2.png
    284 KB · Views: 527
  • Page3.png
    Page3.png
    311.5 KB · Views: 479
  • Page4.png
    Page4.png
    231.8 KB · Views: 427
  • Page5.png
    Page5.png
    190.2 KB · Views: 536
  • Page6.png
    Page6.png
    183.4 KB · Views: 481
Page 3
“When there is a history of protection function”
Is there anything displayed?

Last edited:
Well if misery loves company, my Ysp4300, bought around 5 years back (made in Indonesia) is doing the exact same thing as yours.
Has been getting more inconsistent to the point of nearly useless only in the past few weeks. Same flashing volume issue, sometimes with multiple reboots and/or change of input may kick it into gear but 9 times out of 10 will power up with the same fake mute issue. Youre correct about the lack of info on this..i cannot seem to reset mine to factory settings as i get a "turn volume on" message, will have to try that when it next comes online. Have tried diff subwoofer channels in case it was some type of interference but to no avail or occasional bit of luck. Have also played with all the on screen settings just for the sake of it to no avail. Sounds like youve tried everything I was going to, firmware/diags etc... driving me nuts as its not that old and wasnt that cheap either.. have you had any luck ? Was thinking a hifi repairer is the next step..would like to avoid it if possible as im sure it wont be a cheap exercise.

I have a YSP unit that is doing exactly the same thing. Seems to be a common problem with no readily available solution!!!

I currently have my unit with a repair shop so if you bear with me, I will provide updates as to what the solution is (If there is one).

I did check all the caps, resistors etc. before sending it, although to no avail so it may be a tricky one. Hopefully I'm just completely useless.

My YSP-2500 is also doing the exact same thing! (no sound with volume icon is flashing).

Sometimes if we give it time, the volume icon will stop flashing and the sound will continue as normal. The timing is random.

I've tried everything I can think of including all of the steps that the OP took. Currently I have unplugged everything and will leave it overnight to see if that changes anything (doubt it). I've also raised a ticket with Yamaha support as it's still under warranty... hopefully this can be resolved!

note: i found a thread on another forum with a user experiencing a similar issue:
Why is the volume symbol flashing on my yamaha ysp-5100 - Fixya
- Apparently it was resolved by unplugging the plug from the unit itself.... unfortunately i can't do this on the YSP-2500... maybe it will help someone else.​

Apparently it was resolved by unplugging the plug from the unit itself

That's no different from just pulling the power plug or switching off at the power socket.
There's a load of bull posted on these “Fixya” forums.

That's no different from just pulling the power plug or switching off at the power socket.
There's a load of bull posted on these “Fixya” forums.

What JayCee said.

Fixya is just nonsense and a waste of time.

A shame the YSP-2500 has a permanent wired configuration instead of using a 8 type plug like most things. I had to cut the original plug off to feed the cable through a shelf wire hole.

Seems to me the muting of the volume could be due to some kind of protection circuit? Is it overheating?

Does volume return if you unplug it for a while?

Hello All,

I have a Yamaha YSP-4300 sound bar which I bought about 4-5 years ago and had been working pretty good until 6 months ago when it started malfunctioning. Basically every once in a while no sound would come from the speakers at all until I cycled through the input sources (I only use the Optical Input and nothing else). Then suddenly even that stopped working (i.e. cycling through the sources). Then I decided to let it sit, powered down, for few weeks and then I tried again, it worked for a day then it quit. I have tried using HDMI and USB (Iphone, which used to work before) and no sounds from those sources as well. I did not get around to look at it until now, i.e. sat powered down for few months and still has the same issue.

Basically problem seems to be related to the Muting function of the sound bar, as the Vol. indicator on the display seems to blinking regardless of what I do. According to the manual, the system is Muted when the volume indicator is blinking. Yes, I have tried toggling the Mute button and it does not work. I tried performing factory initialization procedure which did not fix the problem. Next I tried upgrading the firmware to the latest I could find (12.00.05) and still no luck. Then I opened up the entire thing to see if there is any obvious damage i.e. bulging capacitors, bad/loose soldering and as far as I can tell everything looks okay on the surface (just visual check).

I found a repair manual and it seems these model have Diagnostic menu which could be used to further diagnose the problem. I can boot the sound bar into diagnostic menu but I cannot seem to navigate away from initial Diagnostic Screen (11.Vol 0). According to the repair manual I should be able to press the up/down/left/right button to navigate the Diagnostic menu but I have no luck with that. Its NOT stuck on that screen i.e. I can use other buttons to perform different functions but I am unable to navigate to other diagnostic screen. It also does not show any protection messages.

As far as I can tell everything works except the system is some how stuck in Mute mode. I have done a lot of Googling and I can barely find anyone with Yamaha Product who have the same issue as I do. I think there was another post on AVForum number of years ago with same problem but the post has no resolution. I am at my wits end, I was hoping either repair the thing by replacing a faulty component, or perhaps somehow force the system to complete reset. It looks like the diagnostic menu has lots of features however I cannot seem to access it.

Apology for a long long post.
I am faced with the same problem on my 4300. Did you find a solution?

What JayCee said.

Fixya is just nonsense and a waste of time.

A shame the YSP-2500 has a permanent wired configuration instead of using a 8 type plug like most things. I had to cut the original plug off to feed the cable through a shelf wire hole.

Seems to me the muting of the volume could be due to some kind of protection circuit? Is it overheating?

Does volume return if you unplug it for a while?

Update July 16:

Leaving the unit unplugged for over 72 hours had no effect and powering back on continued to have the volume indicator flashing and stuck on mute.

I have since brought the unit to a Service center and they have ordered 2 logic boards for replacement under warranty. 1-2 weeks... I’ll update again when it returns from service.

Hope that others with similar problems also still have warranty...

Anyone find a solution to this?

Its odd that many of us are having this same problem with this unit all around the same time.

Update July 16:

Leaving the unit unplugged for over 72 hours had no effect and powering back on continued to have the volume indicator flashing and stuck on mute.

I have since brought the unit to a Service center and they have ordered 2 logic boards for replacement under warranty. 1-2 weeks... I’ll update again when it returns from service.

Hope that others with similar problems also still have warranty...

Update: My YSP-2500 is back from repair. Took about 3 weeks total. (Warranty covered 100%).

They replaced 2 boards:
1: Digital Board - part: ZM159700
1: Beam PCB - part: ZM160300

Including labour, repairs would have cost $580... but lucky warranty covered all costs.

Unit is working like new and hopefully this doesn’t happen again! (Fingers crossed!).

Good luck to everyone else with similar problems.

Atom88 Thanks for the update mate. Happy it was covered by
warranty for you ! Am well out of warranty unfortunately but good to
see what they replaced to fix.

Ive sent Yamaha this email quoting this thread to see what they say..
Seems pretty dicey having to replace two boards after 4 years use !
Especially when it intermittently (but rarely) works..

If anyone else has any luck with a fix, give a shout out !
Cheers all !

Did anybody manage to get to the bottom of this? I'm getting the same issue with my YSP-3300 so it seems like a common issue amongst all the YSP models.

I've had mine for a good 4-5+ years and it's been working perfectly up until the last week.

Thanks

See post #14

Thanks JayCee. I did see that but I was hoping that somebody else might have any other information that doesn't involve getting it fixed under warranty - in particular if zen351 heard anything back from Yamaha.

In the mean time, I'm going to try and find my receipt to see when I bought it and how long the warranty was.

Oddly I have exactly the same issue - and I purchased mine in June 2013. It's out of Warranty so what's the experience like in getting these repaired - as in how much - and who did you use?

I just joined the permanent mute club.

I’m out of warranty in Switzerland. Any new updates on the matter or am I stuck looking for a repair shop or replacement?

Danke!

I just joined the permanent mute club.

I’m out of warranty in Switzerland. Any new updates on the matter or am I stuck looking for a repair shop or replacement?

Danke!

I sent mine to the repairer that the shop I bought it from recommended. They said they tested it and got input and output and therefore sent it back. I fitted it up again and initially it did appear to work better. However, the mute issue has now returned- initially infrequently but now much more often, when watching TV - although seems ok with DVD and Apple TV.

I’ve decided that after my return from holiday I’m going to replace it with the new Bowers & Wilkins system and go for proper surround sound

Looks like I can join this club, my 4300 is also playing up, no sound to the tv and volume flashing. built in redundancy from Yamaha which is a shame as when it works it’s brilliant but getting oh so cranky with age.

Sorry to hear that. I still haven't got around replacing mine yet - but at the moment its sitting beneath my Tele unused. When I do replace it Yamaha won't be on my list

Good evening everyone, I am an Italian user and I just registered; I take this opportunity to greet all forum users;
I take this thread again because I purchased a used Yamaha ysp-3300 soundbar and found that it has the same problem as you have already stated: the audio cannot be heard and the volume symbol flashes continuously on the display;
After about 15/20 minutes that it is on, the volume symbol starts to stabilize, until it stops flashing and remains fixed: when the volume symbol remains fixed, the soundbar emits audio and works almost regularly until the symbol of the volume starts flashing again and the soundbar no longer outputs audio.

I wanted to ask if the solution for this problem was found?
I'm not an expert, but I think it's not a hardware problem (when the volume symbol remains fixed the soundbar works smoothly).
Could this be a problem with the HDMI cable?
Thanks in advance to those who can answer.

Good evening everyone, I am an Italian user and I just registered; I take this opportunity to greet all forum users;
I take this thread again because I purchased a used Yamaha ysp-3300 soundbar and found that it has the same problem as you have already stated: the audio cannot be heard and the volume symbol flashes continuously on the display;
After about 15/20 minutes that it is on, the volume symbol starts to stabilize, until it stops flashing and remains fixed: when the volume symbol remains fixed, the soundbar emits audio and works almost regularly until the symbol of the volume starts flashing again and the soundbar no longer outputs audio.

I wanted to ask if the solution for this problem was found?
I'm not an expert, but I think it's not a hardware problem (when the volume symbol remains fixed the soundbar works smoothly).
Could this be a problem with the HDMI cable?
Thanks in advance to those who can answer.

Sorry, after sending mine off to a repairer - and them sending it back saying they couldn't find anything wrong with it - only for it to exhibit exactly the same symptoms - I just have up with it and bought a Bowers & Wilkins Formation set-up instead.

I tried swapping HDMI cables etc - and that did not solve the problem.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom