Answered YSP-4300 Permanently Mute

james03

Sorry, after sending mine off to a repairer - and them sending it back saying they couldn't find anything wrong with it - only for it to exhibit exactly the same symptoms - I just have up with it and bought a Bowers & Wilkins Formation set-up instead.

I tried swapping HDMI cables etc - and that did not solve the problem.
it’s a weird one but looks a common problem that if manifested earlier could well have resulted in a product recall. Regarding hdmi cables I have found that new ones have made it work properly but after a while it plays up again with the same error. Hdmi cables are fairly cheap and amazon have a decent returns policy so may be worth a shot.

arturnet63

Novice Member
[QUOTE = "james03, post: 27940392, membro: 807938"]
è strano ma sembra un problema comune che se manifestato in precedenza avrebbe potuto comportare un richiamo del prodotto. Per quanto riguarda i cavi HDMI, ho scoperto che quelli nuovi l'hanno fatto funzionare correttamente ma dopo un po 'si riproduce di nuovo con lo stesso errore. I cavi HDMI sono abbastanza economici e Amazon ha una politica di restituzione decente, quindi potrebbe valere la pena provare.
[/ CITAZIONE]
Thank you very much to those who answered me - I ordered a good quality HDMI cable and length 50 cm - as soon as it arrives I try it and update you on it - I also interested online the yamaha Italy assistance and strangely I am not aware of the defect.
Good day .

Grazie mille a coloro che mi hanno risposto - ho ordinato un cavo HDMI di buona qualità e lunghezza 50 cm - non appena arriva lo provo e vi aggiorno su di esso - Ho anche interessato online l'assistenza yamaha Italia e stranamente non ne sono consapevole del difetto.
Buona giornata .

james03

[QUOTE = "james03, post: 27940392, membro: 807938"]
è strano ma sembra un problema comune che se manifestato in precedenza avrebbe potuto comportare un richiamo del prodotto. Per quanto riguarda i cavi HDMI, ho scoperto che quelli nuovi l'hanno fatto funzionare correttamente ma dopo un po 'si riproduce di nuovo con lo stesso errore. I cavi HDMI sono abbastanza economici e Amazon ha una politica di restituzione decente, quindi potrebbe valere la pena provare.
[/ CITAZIONE]
Thank you very much to those who answered me - I ordered a good quality HDMI cable and length 50 cm - as soon as it arrives I try it and update you on it - I also interested online the yamaha Italy assistance and strangely I am not aware of the defect.
Good day .

Grazie mille a coloro che mi hanno risposto - ho ordinato un cavo HDMI di buona qualità e lunghezza 50 cm - non appena arriva lo provo e vi aggiorno su di esso - Ho anche interessato online l'assistenza yamaha Italia e stranamente non ne sono consapevole del difetto.
Buona giornata .
you’re welcome, let us know how you get on as I may well order a new hdmi cable myself if it works for you

PaulB01

Novice Member
New to the forum and new to my 3300 flashing and intermittent silence. Such a shame, will not warrant the expected cost of new circuit boards at £200 plus. Surely this must be an inexpensive component not working then working. I have a theory it may relate to working temperature after as the fault goes after being on for a while... think I may try a hairdryer! If anyone finds a fix please post.

james03

New to the forum and new to my 3300 flashing and intermittent silence. Such a shame, will not warrant the expected cost of new circuit boards at £200 plus. Surely this must be an inexpensive component not working then working. I have a theory it may relate to working temperature after as the fault goes after being on for a while... think I may try a hairdryer! If anyone finds a fix please post.
Its the very nature of intermittent ! Mines working okay now, tomorrow it probably won’t be. My latest thing is to turn it on and off until it works, if anybody knows how I can keep it switched on that would help as when I switch off my tv it also switches off the soundbar. I’ve tried disabling arc on the soundbar but that loses the connection, tried disabling cec on my tv but that also loses the connection. At a loss !!!

PaulB01

Novice Member
Its the very nature of intermittent ! Mines working okay now, tomorrow it probably won’t be. My latest thing is to turn it on and off until it works, if anybody knows how I can keep it switched on that would help as when I switch off my tv it also switches off the soundbar. I’ve tried disabling arc on the soundbar but that loses the connection, tried disabling cec on my tv but that also loses the connection. At a loss !!!

PaulB01

Novice Member
When mine eventually gets going, I have to switch between a different HDMI input and my TV input many times. There are a couple of of units on ebay and, realistically, I should dump holding on to the 3300.... I've had if open a couple of times spraying joints and looking for a loose component... without luck. For some reason I cannot chuck it as it has provided fantastic sound in the past. My latest thought is to salvage the unit with speakers only and convert to passive. Oh well ....carry on thinking!

PaulB01

Novice Member
If anyone still has this problem, here is my latest... As I thought, put it on a radiator and warmed the unit for a short while..... works straight away and keeps working. Left it switched off for a few hours and back to intermittent problem. After a little more reading, my initial thought of a component not kicking in until warmed up must be correct. It appears that this may be an issue with Yamaha and some of the capacitors used for a period of years. Now comes the problem of identifying which capacitor/s to replace.... I'm no expert!

JayCee

Distinguished Member
These would be easy to identify if you had ESR meter.
Slow start from cold on most electronic equipment is usually caused by high ESR (“Equivalent Series Resistance”) electrolytic capacitors.
An ESR meter will allow you to measure and identify these duff caps in circuit without having to disconnect one leg.

PaulB01

Novice Member
Hi all, does anyone have a redundant ysp 3300 or 4300 to get rid of. I'm looking for one of the circuit boards to fix mine.
Cheers all.... Paul

marchudman

Hi all, does anyone have a redundant ysp 3300 or 4300 to get rid of. I'm looking for one of the circuit boards to fix mine.
Cheers all.... Paul
Are you still looking for one? My 3300 has just packed up after many years of faithful service - same issue as described here

PaulB01

Novice Member
Are you still looking for one? My 3300 has just packed up after many years of faithful service - same issue as described here
Yes, many thanks for your reply. Where abouts are you? If your fault is exactly as described I sympathise as it's a great bit of kit.

marchudman

Yeap exactly as described here. I’m in Gloucester

PaulB01

Novice Member
Yeap exactly as described here. I’m in Gloucester
Very high possibility then that its the same circuit board... I'm an hour from Gloucester. Mine still works after I put a hair dryer on hot under bottom right hand corner as you look at it. Once the circuit board is warm it's not a problem.... yep stupid. I've been looking for just the soundbar on sites... one in Solihull for 90 and one near London for 129. I have a Yamaha repair centre near me but too pricey and cannot track down an old circuit board.

marchudman

Shame mine probably wont give you the working circuit you need. It had been working if I let it warm up but now that takes longer and longer and the sound started to be distorted. Let me know if you want It happy to pass on for free. otherwise I shall take it down the recycling centre in due course.

agree it’s a real shame the it’s been a great sounding sound bar for past 7 years and I had no plans to replace it yet.

PaulB01

Novice Member
Shame mine probably wont give you the working circuit you need. It had been working if I let it warm up but now that takes longer and longer and the sound started to be distorted. Let me know if you want It happy to pass on for free. otherwise I shall take it down the recycling centre in due course.

agree it’s a real shame the it’s been a great sounding sound bar for past 7 years and I had no plans to replace it yet.
It sounds like the common fault... what a pity, and many, many thanks for your kind offer but will pass. I'm still hopeful but been waiting a while.... cheers

mightycranium

Novice Member
Greetings, I've been fighting and putting up with a YSP4300 subwoofer muting for several years now. So much so that I bought one from on Ebay just to see if 1. It worked the same or 2. I could use it to narrow down whether its a subwoofer or soundbar issue.

The problem, is that BOTH units behave the same and when I move the subwoofers between them, they CONTINUE to both be problematic. So its inherent in the unit.
Call the local Yamaha repair shop who confirms that there are no service bulletins regarding the YSP4300.

The problem I am seeing is the usual flutter and popping which would normally be indicative of a bad capacitor in the amp, but the main problem, that has always BEEN the problem... is that the subwoofer will drop out - and be gone for minutes, and then re-establish. Its almost certainly a wireless connectivity thingie. Moving it had no effect, and its within a foot of the soundbar now, and that helps not a whit. So is there a service manual available? I'd like to see what they have for schematics or diagnostic help to see....is this dropping connection or not and if it is possible to simply hardwire in a sub or replace it somehow with any other wireless subwoofer.

The soundbar itself (assuming the problem is in the sub) works fine - its the damable sound of the sub floating in and out thats driving me mad.

-Dave

PaulB01

Novice Member
Greetings, I've been fighting and putting up with a YSP4300 subwoofer muting for several years now. So much so that I bought one from on Ebay just to see if 1. It worked the same or 2. I could use it to narrow down whether its a subwoofer or soundbar issue.

The problem, is that BOTH units behave the same and when I move the subwoofers between them, they CONTINUE to both be problematic. So its inherent in the unit.
Call the local Yamaha repair shop who confirms that there are no service bulletins regarding the YSP4300.

The problem I am seeing is the usual flutter and popping which would normally be indicative of a bad capacitor in the amp, but the main problem, that has always BEEN the problem... is that the subwoofer will drop out - and be gone for minutes, and then re-establish. Its almost certainly a wireless connectivity thingie. Moving it had no effect, and its within a foot of the soundbar now, and that helps not a whit. So is there a service manual available? I'd like to see what they have for schematics or diagnostic help to see....is this dropping connection or not and if it is possible to simply hardwire in a sub or replace it somehow with any other wireless subwoofer.

The soundbar itself (assuming the problem is in the sub) works fine - its the damable sound of the sub floating in and out thats driving me mad.

-Dave
Sounds familiar. There is a service schematic online. I've looked at exactly what you are trying to do... bypass wireless and wire direct. I wasn't clever enough to use the schematics as to where to bypass. I've had the subwoofer in bits several times...and the soundbar. Worked out the soundbar issue...circuit board, but not how to hardwired the sub.... to a different soundbar. Where abouts are you?

mightycranium

Novice Member
Sounds familiar. There is a service schematic online. I've looked at exactly what you are trying to do... bypass wireless and wire direct. I wasn't clever enough to use the schematics as to where to bypass. I've had the subwoofer in bits several times...and the soundbar. Worked out the soundbar issue...circuit board, but not how to hardwired the sub.... to a different soundbar. Where abouts are you?
Minnesota, just north of Minneapolis.

mightycranium

Novice Member
If you have any links to the schematics, it would be helpful. I'd like to look at it and see if there''s any "just add water" type solutions. I assume (haven't looked) that this Y-air technology is incompatible for marrying to any other wireless devices?

mightycranium

Novice Member
one other thought that occured to me - what about the HDMI ARC output HDMI? Would that act as an analogous way to get audio out of the unit? Then at least a standalone hack method would get it working

PaulB01

Novice Member
one other thought that occured to me - what about the HDMI ARC output HDMI? Would that act as an analogous way to get audio out of the unit? Then at least a standalone hack method would get it working
I have bypassed the wireless and connected straight from my sky q box via an optical to a different 2nd hand sub. Once the sync is adjusted, works great.

PaulB01

Novice Member
I have bypassed the wireless and connected straight from my sky q box via an optical to a different 2nd hand sub. Once the sync is adjusted, works great.
I think any hdmi is digital not analogue. If you've tried 2 subs... is the fault on the sender.... the soundbar. The sub I believe is only compatible with several yamaha models

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LCD TVs for Movies, Laser Projectors, RIP Ennio Morricone, AV & Movie news, B+W Matt Damon

Trending threads

Latest News

QDC Blue Dragon earphones on sale in UK
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
TV licence fee now applies to over 75s from 1st Aug
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
New H.266 video codec promises 50 percent data saving
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Toshiba launches UL20 4K HDR TVs from £299