1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

YSP-1 Is WELL GOOD!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by kmhtkmhtkmht, Aug 26, 2005.

1. kmhtkmhtkmht

kmhtkmhtkmht

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    YSP-1 Is an EXCELLENT performer that really DOES work!

Mine arrived a couple of hours ago and had it up and running via Easy Setup and it is really amazing! I am so Impressed with the thing and I must thank fellow AVForum member Joe for selling this to me at a great price match price to Pixmania of 644.70 Including Next Day ShippinG!

The sound really does work, It really does feel like there's Speakers behind you!

2. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,170
    Thats a great price,paid £749 for mine.Im over the moon with my YSP-1.

3. kmhtkmhtkmht

kmhtkmhtkmht

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How'dya adjust it?

I am thinking about tweaking around with the manual setup and moving the speaker to a left wall setup, right now it's in the left corner at about a 45 degree angle.

4. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's certainly an interesting concept and an ideal solution for a tidy setup, do you have to add a sub aswell?

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
  6. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. kmhtkmhtkmht

kmhtkmhtkmht

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well 42 Speakers against 6... I think I know the clear winner.

That speaker you posted looks like a budget effort also, if you were to go for that you might as well go for a proven technology like the upcoming YSP-800, the underpowered cousin of the YSP-1 (something like 120 Watts = YSP-1 , 80 Watts = YSP-800)

8. Gary_W

Gary_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Counting speakers isn't particularly valid here, especially when you consider how the YSP-1 is working.

If you follow your analogy through then a Reliant Robin must automatically be faster than a 1000cc bike by virtue of the fact that it has an extra wheel.

9. kmhtkmhtkmht

kmhtkmhtkmht

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh well, I love my YSP-1 and I think it loves me.

10. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    kmht - I was not trying to be little the YSP-1 which looks like a fantastic product from Yamaha but just trying to see what comparisons are out there, and there are not many.

I am pleased that you are so happy with what you have as this is what AV is all about and if it makes the customer "you" happy then it has done it's job well.

Enjoy!!

11. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    Well 've heard the M+K thing and the Yamaha (and indeed the Pioneer and Iltd prototype). The M+K Product is not remotely close....it sounded to me like a joke in comparison.

Gordon

12. Solidstate

Solidstate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    Costco were (are?) doing these for £552.23. I posted the deal on another forum on 06/04/05. Last time I was in the shop they still stocked them but I didn't check the price.

13. bjd

bjd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    Looks like a very interesting product. I would love to hear it properly set up. Chances of that in N. Ireland are slim, though.

14. systemsdead

systemsdead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,541
  15. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,170
    No. :thumbsup:

16. kmhtkmhtkmht

kmhtkmhtkmht

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I checked Costco's and it wasn't in stock. I knew about that 5 hundred price but they clean out.

17. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,550
    Heard this at the Bristol Sound and Vision show and thought it was very impressive! Despite the fact that I wanted it to be rubbish! Hee hee! But then they had set it up in a room about 10ft wide and 15ft long so the room was kind of ideal and they were using yamaha's top sub (I think). It was good enough to make me wonder about it, but not good enough to make me decide there on the spot.

18. BeelzebubUK

BeelzebubUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Have any of you owners used it to play music CD's. I'm looking for a speaker/amp setup to go with a Pioneer 436 when I move into my new house and this just seems perfect. I'm not an audiophile by any means so don't need to compare it to a dedicated 2 speaker setup.

It will be going into a 10' x 16' room with the plasma in the centre of the 16' wall....I'm assuming this will be no problem for 5.1 to work properly ?

Also does anyone know of any shops within an hours drive of Milton Keynes that has a demo of these ?

19. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,571
    Hi, I bought the little new brother the YSP-800 at Costco last weekend. Mine is in a 24x12 room with plenty of power. Teamed to a Pio 435...Mine is located along the long wall (24) just right of the centre.

You can get a demo at HiSpek in St Albans on the old Hatfield road. I demoed the YSP-1 there and was very pleasantly surprised.

I downgraded from a 7 speaker setup (MA R180's all around plus a CHT-10) and to be fair it is not as good. But it comes pretty damn close and when you consider the lack of speakers and wiring it is absolutely brilliant. Do bear in mind that a subwoofer is a must to compliment thsi speaker.

20. BeelzebubUK

BeelzebubUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Thanks.....sounds very promising then. Found a local shop today that can demo it for me this weekend so hopefully I'll be impressed :)

21. KBDVD

KBDVD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi dejong,

I popped along to HiSpek @ StAlbans yesterday and was very disappointed with the demo! I think I was able to establish that the YSP-1 is an excellent bit of kit, but if I were "un-informed", on the strength of the demo alone, I think I would have been quite un-impressed.

The problem is that they have set up the YSP-1 so that it's firing width ways across their demo room. They have about five shelves full of equipment on the opposite side wall so you get no/very little rear effects coming off of that wall. In addition the unit is much closer to the screen end of the room, so you get strong reflections off the screen itself, (Your left if your looking at the YSP-1) so you have very overpowering left-hand side effects but vitually no reflections off the other end of the room, so you hardly have any right-hand side effects at all. :rolleyes:

They had it working in conjunction with small sub, (a fact that wasn't revealed until I asked!) so the unit sounded plenty powerfull, .... surprisingly so I'd have to say!

On the strength of what I heard I'm definately going to buy one of these, (or it's YSP-1000 replacement) in the near future for use in my front room under my Plasma screen. I'm now quite confident that I shall be able to configure the unit in my lounge to provide very nice surround sound effect without the need for all the usual speakers and cabling!

In short, you get plenty of "bang for your bucks" and this thing really works! :smashin:...... despite HiSpek's efforts to convince me otherwise! :suicide:

Best Regards,
    Keith.

22. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
  23. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,571
    LOL I actually thought the demo was pretty good, meaning if it can sound like that in in a room filled with gear....Then it can only get better....

I know about the subwoofer, I asked them and they immediately disconnected it...

Hi-spek is a bit like currys/comet I find...Don't think any of their staff is very knowledgeable....I bought a MR dvd recorder there once, which wasn't MR with all discs, they were just mubling about RCE etc...I brought a long an R1 disc from before RCE was invented and they finally retreated, but gracefully though....

24. BeelzebubUK

BeelzebubUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I had a demo yesterday of the YSP-1 at Technosound in Milton Keynes and I had the same issues as KBDVD.

I could hear left to right effects but couldn't really pick up anything in the rear. From where I was sitting it was like I had 180 degree front facing sound. Whereas when I asked him to play the same through a Kef 5.1 setup in the same room I had what felt more like a 300 degree sound around me.

Was impressed by the clarity of voice etc coming from the front though and music was acceptable for me so I'm fairly sure I'll be making a purchase...although I'll be getting the YSP-1000 which should be out very soon.

The speaker was only about 1.5 foot above the floor which I wasn't sure would be high enough to get the full effect of the system ??

I'm going to get another demo of it this week I think just to make certain of it.

25. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    BeelezebubUK

Try and get a hold of the remote and ask for the Video output to be connected up so you can see the on-screen menu's - ask for the user manual and then have a play! Go through the 'Manual' set-up routine not the 'Auto' set-up.

The YSP-1 is a slightly different experience to having cabinet loudspeakers behind (or at the side of) you but you should be able to configure the YSP-1 to deliver a decent 'envelope' of sound.

As far as height goes then the main restriction is not sitting closer than the height the YSP-1 is set above floor level - in other words you can go high with the unit as long as your at least the same distance back from it.

Best regards

Joe

26. BeelzebubUK

BeelzebubUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Will do - thanks.

27. fatrich

fatrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Got my Ysp-1 from Empire Direct for £650.00 quite pleased with it (got a bit knocked off due to buying a plasma)

regards

richard

28. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,571
    I didn't know about the height setup thing....I think it is worth waiting for the YSP-1000 if it is that size you want, as the YPAO automatic setup makes it easier....

Also remember that the effect depends on the room and what you have got in it...For example I notice a real difference when we close our big heavy curtains compared to when they are open...So the height thing may also impact on whether there is a sofa in the way...This should not pose a problem, it just means that the setup needs to be different...I'm just glad my ysp-800 has got three memories; curtains closed, curtains open and curtains open with patio door open.....

29. benwong

benwong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dejongj,

How much was the YSP-800 at Costco?

Thanks!

Ben

30. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,571
    The YSP-800 was £493 including VAT at Costco....