YpBpR over VGA

zier45

Novice Member
Reaction score
This issue is driving me insane.
Basically my tv doesn't have component on the back, it has scart, 2xhdmi, composite and VGA.
I have a sony av receiver that has a component out and I would like to connect it to my tv. After reading the manual, it says that I can connect component (YpBpR) through the VGA port. I've google this for weeks and every post I've read was about converting VGA to component, but not component to VGA.
I am aware of the various component to VGA cables that are available, but I'm not sure if they work and I would like to double check that.

Thanks for your help guys

A 3RCA to HD15 (VGA) cable simply needs to have the correct pins wired - it's a directional cable so you have to ensure you get the correct wiring config.

In addition to supporting YPbPr on the HD15 (VGA) port you need to ensure you have support for the signal format your Source is Outputting (50Hz may be an issue).

We have the required cables in stock if you contact the office.

Joe

A 3RCA to HD15 (VGA) cable simply needs to have the correct pins wired - it's a directional cable so you have to ensure you get the correct wiring config.

In addition to supporting YPbPr on the HD15 (VGA) port you need to ensure you have support for the signal format your Source is Outputting (50Hz may be an issue).

We have the required cables in stock if you contact the office.

Joe
Hi,

Sorry for the Kate reply, but I've moved house and have been without internet for a month.
Thanks for your help
How would I go about contacting the office

Many thanks

Did you contact the office re a 3RCA to HD15 (VGA) cable?

Component video can be 'down converted' to S-Video using a suitable converter - if the Source is HD capable you have to throw away a lot of resolution during the conversion.

If the Source has an S-video out have you tried that to an S-video Input on the TV.

Joe

no, i need it component to vga. i know it's a pain, but my tv isn't exactly what you call a standard make

You've lost me :)

Your AVR will have Component video out via 3xRCA - a 3RCA to HD15 (VGA) cable is what you require, a few years back we were supplying them on a daily basis as Panasonic had HD15(VGA) sockets which supported YPbPr and RGBHV on the then very popular PWD and PHD Plasma Displays.

Joe

thanks for your help. Do you have any idea of the cost and what I need to ask your office for exactly

We ought to have some Bettercables or VanDamme Red series 3RCA2VGA in a box somewhere.

Joe

ok, thanks. i'm not looking for anything overly expensive though

'i'm not looking for anything overly expensive though' - how much are you looking to spend?

Joe

considering i need only a 1m cable maybe 1.5m for moving purposes. No more than £25

I'll have a look - the length of cable is only a small part of the cost, it's the time to manufacture which makes them relatively expensive.

Joe

i get the point of what you're saying but the manufacturing process of each type of cable is essentially the same from company to company so why are some cables in the £100's+ and some less than £20. I know there's the quality and type of materials used and of course shielding from interference but in some cases I've never noticed the difference between a £10 and a £100+ cable

'I've never noticed the difference between a £10 and a £100+ cable' - then go with the £10 option :)

The cable stock utilised and quality of termination can make a difference - and some systems will show it more than others.

Joe

Assuming I can find them - approx. £30.

If it’s the BetterCables Silver Serpent option keep in mind its quite a stiff cable so make sure you have enough space at the rear of the kit and that 1m is long enough.

Let me know if that price is OK and we can have a look in the morning.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom