• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question YPAO and speaker settings

Davoid

Standard Member
Hello,
I went and used my Yamaha RX-A1030 YPAO to set up my temporary layout till renovations are done (could be a while). After the YPAO ran it's task all my speakers were set at "large" and the subwoofer was set at 40 Hz (80 Hz is default).
My speakers are all Polk Audio - RTi A7 floor standing, CS10 center and PSW110 subwoofer.
I have attached a picture of my current layout. I sit about 2.5m from the TV if this helps.
I had moved the small table out of the way before running the test.
Before the YPAO all speakers were set to "small", should I be changing them back to this?
thanks,
David
P1020015-small.jpg

mmfuryroad

Standard Member
Basically yes change them back. This is typical with room correction software after setup. Small and 80HZ is the correct tweak[emoji6].

Davoid

Standard Member
Thanks for the reply, will reset as you suggest.

Derek S-H

Distinguished Member
Davoid - is your TV stand modular i.e. the shelves aren't fixed and can be adjusted to accommodate equipment with different heights?

If so, I would recommend that you move your Centre up one shelf, get it closer to your screen if possible. Also, I notice that your Front speakers are not equidistant to your Centre, could your Front Right speaker possibly swop positions with your AV rack?

I know that EQ systems can compensate for less than perfect rooms and speaker placements, but sometimes physically relocating a speaker can be far more effective in terms of the sound balance.

But if you're happy with your system then feel free to ignore me!

Last edited:

Davoid

Standard Member
Hi Derek, I have already contacted the manufacturer of the cabinet, but he says that it cannot be altered, so have stuck with it like this for now. But I think at some stage I am going to look and see if I can alter it anyway for the reason you say.
I could swap the AV rack and speaker over, may try this sometime, good idea Derek.

Derek S-H

Distinguished Member
Hi Derek, I have already contacted the manufacturer of the cabinet, but he says that it cannot be altered, so have stuck with it like this for now. But I think at some stage I am going to look and see if I can alter it anyway for the reason you say.
I could swap the AV rack and speaker over, may try this sometime, good idea Derek.

Davoid, let us know if you make any changes and how you get on?

I presume your AV rack is flat pack and had to be put together? As Steven says above, if that is the case then surely you can just swop the longer and shorter rods around and create a taller shelf above your current Centre speaker placement? You could then put your Centre there.

However, if the rack came pre-assembled and the rods are fixed in place, then yes, you're stuck with this configuration.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom