YouView Retail remote app

VisionMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING THE YOUVIEW MOBILE APP

Starting today YouView will be phasing out support for the YouView mobile app with final support ending on the 31st March 2020. The YouView mobile app will then be removed from the App Store and Google Play.

The BT TV app is available to all BT TV customers, which offers comparable functionality to the YouView app. It can be used to connect to your set top box to set recordings remotely.

Why is this happening?
At YouView our mission is to combine cutting edge technology with Live TV and On Demand television to deliver a brilliantly smart TV experience for our customers.

In order to deliver the most innovative TV experience, we are refocusing development away from ‘direct to consumer’ products and toward delivering best in class TV technology services direct to our customers BT, TalkTalk, Humax and Sony.

As such we will no longer be continuing a YouView stand-alone mobile app and instead will support our customers by providing functionality in their own branded TV apps.

What happens now to my access?
We’ll be phasing out support for the YouView mobile app which means you will no longer be able to use the app or send recording requests.

What are the alternatives to the YouView App – and where can I find them?
If you are a BT TV customer, you can use the BT TV app to set recordings remotely. This app can be found in the app store.

Roughly translated all development for and of YouViews retail arm is going to cease and going forward will only be BT centric. Since the official announcement above, TalkTalk have, after some delay, confirmed their mobile app will also cease on 31st March.

This is appalling, it is a great app, and setting directly on my Humax DTR-T2000 is very limiting. Have BT fully acquired YouView now? It seems to imply that the app will stop working, not just become unsupported. I've saved the APK, but no use if the servers reject requests.

I'm really disgusted at youview. I paid a premium to get a better box (t2000) & now they are removing one of the most have features.
This is after my t1000 died (luckily in warranty) & having to put up with its tuner which was no where near as good as my Sony tvs one.
We'd only just recently stopped using our 16 year old toppy when it died. The toppy had had far better support than youview has.

That's it. I'm done with youview & humax. Can anyone suggest alternatives? Either freeview or freesat recorders?

Freesat recorders? You could also try for unicorns, as you will probably have more luck until Arris getr their fingers out.

How are non BT/TalkTalk customers going to be able to remote record once this support ends? Seems a bit poor for those that have invested in the Freeview system. Smacks of cost cutting and/or forcing people away from the 'free' aspects to buy more services from BT/TT.

That post is just plain wrong. and a pedantic point to clarify this a bit. It's NOT the Freview system that is changing All that does is transmit live TV. Nothing is changing there.

It is the YouView system with it's recording and catchup facilities etc. that is changing, with the facility for setting up recordings of live TV and catchup being more limited by the demise of the app that is changing.

YouView people are either going to have to learn to set up their recordings before they disappear off to said remote location, just like most other people with a Freeview recorder or watch whatever they want on catchup.

BT have said if you use a BT branded box even without a subscription they are going to allow access to the BT app for remote recording, it's currently only available for BT subscribers

BT have said if you use a BT branded box even without a subscription they are going to allow access to the BT app for remote recording, it's currently only available for BT subscribers

Unless I’m missing something, the article doesn’t mention it is for BT branded YV STBs only?

No you're right, I went back after skim reading the first time, although they do mention some uncertainty with some varieties of box and some older devices that won't be supported it does say Youview boxes.

There's no way to test the theory as the BT app hadn't been updated yet, they say it will happen towards the end of March.

The remote app will be available for all boxes after 30/03/20, but won't be available for first generation YouView boxes such as the T1000.

Correction - BT have made the remote app available right now. Just a pity they didn't tell YouView about it. :D

Can anyone log into the app though presuming its the BT TV app? It seems to what you to do that before you can pair your box/record, etc.? I'm a BT customer and Ive tried logging in but it doesn't seem to like it.

Last edited:
As I understand it the change in the app is to allow it to be used without having to log in. Unless you subscribe to BTTV your BT sign on won't work on the app.

It worked that way on the android app but not the one for iphone, perhaps it hasn't been updated yet.

The iOS BT TV app downloaded and my Humax T4000 paired and remote record all working again.

Downloaded the IOS BT TV app today and paired to standalone youview retail box. Was initially impressed because there is no need to sign in, but then became underwhelmed when I realised a key feature on the youview app is no longer available. On the former youview app it was possible to select a category such as 'films' and be able to scroll through a really long list of every film scheduled across all channels with option to remote record or view programme details. The BT TV app is only suggesting content from selected film channels and doesn't list all films available on every channel. This is a backward step for me, as I would prefer the ability to scroll through each category across all channels and schedule recordings for the week ahead, over and above any of the dazzling features the BT TV app is currently offering. 😞

Last edited:
The BT app is clumsy compared to the YouView app. It takes a couple of taps to get into the tv listings, no option to set that view as default. If I look at an entry on BBC1 and wish to record it the BT app does not show the option to set a recording for BBC1 HD instead. I have to scroll to the BBC1 HD listing first, then choose to set a recording. The app is clearly aimed at driving traffic to BT offerings, which is their right, but as a non BT customer I lament the loss of the original app, killed to serve BT business interests.

I agree the BT app is not as good as the YouView app. I can record some things but often it just tells me to switch on my TV and set a reminder.
When I go to TV, I can set the programme or series to record so why not on the mobile app?

There was a problem for a while with some programmes not coming up with the individual or series record, but that was fixed a while back.

Once you are in the Freeview listings of the BT app, there's a button bottom left that allows quick access to just HD channels, films, sport and other categories.

The app takes a few extra presses to get past the paid BT content to Freeview listings, but it's great they've allowed access after we were dumped by YouView. Shame they don't include radio yet.

I noticed this weekend that, quietly without fanfare, the app now allows me to send record instructions to my recorder in the same way that the old YouView app allowed. I don’t know how long this has been working.

I've always been able to do that with the BT TV App since this functionality was removed from the old Youview app?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom