Youview Retail Availability

Colin London

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd start a thread regarding the various dates that are appearing on retailer websites showing availability of the Youview equipment.

Amazon - Due to be released on 30/7/12. Presume this means they won't be shipped by Amazon until this date.

John Lewis - 'Official Launch Date 26/7/12' - Only home delivery available on website 'in 2 weeks'. I am presuming they mean that a few may be in store from 26/7/12 (not reserveable) but they are being non-committed on home deliveries.

Humax Direct - 'Phone for info' (i.e. no commitments!)

Comet - 'Delivery from 14 days' but 'No Delivery Dates available'. Then goes on to say available in store from 4/8/12.

Currys - 'Order now for home delivery from (expected) 26/7/12'. No in-store reservations.
Dixons - As for Currys.

I think the best we can deduce from this is that retailers think they may be getting stock for 26/7/12, but nobody is sure enough to make any commitments!

Colin London said:
Thought I'd start a thread regarding the various dates that are appearing on retailer websites showing availability of the Youview equipment.

Amazon - Due to be released on 30/7/12. Presume this means they won't be shipped by Amazon until this date.

John Lewis - 'Official Launch Date 26/7/12' - Only home delivery available on website 'in 2 weeks'. I am presuming they mean that a few may be in store from 26/7/12 (not reserveable) but they are being non-committed on home deliveries.

Humax Direct - 'Phone for info' (i.e. no commitments!)

Comet - 'Delivery from 14 days' but 'No Delivery Dates available'. Then goes on to say available in store from 4/8/12.

Currys - 'Order now for home delivery from (expected) 26/7/12'. No in-store reservations.
Dixons - As for Currys.

I think the best we can deduce from this is that retailers think they may be getting stock for 26/7/12, but nobody is sure enough to make any commitments!

The new Argos catalog now has the new youview box , and say reserve now for delivery 27 July 2012

Except you can't because it is 'out of stock'

Buy Humax DTR-T1000 HDD DTV Recorder with YouView - 500GB at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for Digital TV recorders.

Either they have been reserved very quickly, or they just haven't reached the retailers yet.

I notice they're trying to sell a bundle with expensive HDMI cable, when according to the Humax direct page Humax DTR-T1000 YouView 500GB TV recorder - HUMAX UK Direct Sales Website there is one included. I normally like Argos but thats not playing fair !

Being a new product surely you go for John Lewis, they're advertising same price but with a 2 year guarantee, hope we won't need it but thats gotta be the way to go, combined with their superior aftersales service.

I want to see how the on-demand films progresses before I'll consider buying.

Being a new product surely you go for John Lewis, they're advertising same price but with a 2 year guarantee, hope we won't need it but thats gotta be the way to go, combined with their superior aftersales service.
Isn't 2 years the 'standard' Humax warranty length anyway? {Only their graded products getting a measly 1 year?}

Buy it from http://humaxdirect.co.uk/JulyPromo.asp and you might win a second ;)

Update as of tonight:

John Lewis - Still no 'collect at store' option. Delivery now showing as 'approximately 7 days' but they are still not giving delivery slots. Just 'a customer services advisor will ring to advise' which isn't much good for planning to be in to collect....

Argos - No change. No reserve to pick up from store. Says 'order for delivery on 27/7/12' but there is no stock to order

Humax Direct - Still 'Your delivery date will be confirmed by a member of our Customer Services Team in due course' - Hopeless!

Comet - No change. 'Delivery from 7 days' but when you go through the process it turns out not to be available for home delivery, but can be delivered to a store for collection from 4/8/12.

Currys - No in store collection but apparently 'expected availability' from 26/7/12 (didn't want to create an account to find out whether they would commit to a delivery date, but I doubt it....)

Dixons - As Currys

Amazon - Still showing as 'to be released on 30/7/12 (subject to change)'.

Richer Sounds - 'Available to pre-order in or stores' - 'Coming Soon'. No dates.

Tesco Direct - Not on the website

Euronics - Not on the website

Colin London said:
Update as of tonight:

John Lewis - Still no 'collect at store' option. Delivery now showing as 'approximately 7 days' but they are still not giving delivery slots. Just 'a customer services advisor will ring to advise' which isn't much good for planning to be in to collect....

Argos - No change. No reserve to pick up from store. Says 'order for delivery on 27/7/12' but there is no stock to order

Humax Direct - Still 'Your delivery date will be confirmed by a member of our Customer Services Team in due course' - Hopeless!

Comet - No change. 'Delivery from 7 days' but when you go through the process it turns out not to be available for home delivery, but can be delivered to a store for collection from 4/8/12.

Currys - No in store collection but apparently 'expected availability' from 26/7/12 (didn't want to create an account to find out whether they would commit to a delivery date, but I doubt it....)

Dixons - As Currys

Amazon - Still showing as 'to be released on 30/7/12 (subject to change)'.

Richer Sounds - 'Available to pre-order in or stores' - 'Coming Soon'. No dates.

Tesco Direct - Not on the website

Euronics - Not on the website

Have you tried ringing argos home delivery to see if they would take a order over phone ?

Home Delivery is not really much good for me as I am one of these people who has to 'go to work' every day!

What I really want is to lay my hands on a unit in a store before the weekend, preferably by reserving one so I know it'll be there.

I could order it if a company would commit to a day and timeslot because I will be having to work from home a bit next week due to a certain event happening in East London. But no-one is committing so far.

So my best bet still looks like trying to find our where Lord Sugar happens to be doing his photo call for the official sales launch on Thursday as they are bound to have a few stacked up there!

As I am in the London area the stores around here have to have a good chance of getting the first stock....

A warning for those hoping to pick up a box tomorrow in a store. Just checked in store at a large John Lewis and they aren't expecting to have any boxes available to sell before Friday, and even then they are only expecting eight in the first delivery. They wouldn't let me reserve as nothing has yet left their warehouse.

I wonder if any one has actually bought a youview box from a High street shop yet, if so which shops have now got them to take away today ?
I notice that Argos still have no stock and still saying reserve for delivery 27 July which was yesterday

Last edited:
I wonder if any one has actually bought a youview box from a High street shop yet, if so which shops have now got them to take away today ?
I notice that Argos still have no stock and still saying reserve for delivery 27 July which was yesterday

Well I tried yesterday at Richer Sounds in the City, and this morning at three stores in Harlow:

Richer Sounds - They have them in the warehouse and the sales guy said they should be in the stores by next Friday at the latest.

Argos - None in stock but could be ordered for delivery to the store on Monday.

Currys - None in stock.

Comet - None in stock to take away today. Annoyingly they had them all in the regional distribution centre across the road but they hadn't released them to the stores yet! The guy couldn't give me a date when they'd have them, but as per the website it looks like they will be in store on 4/8/12.

However they are releasing them from the distribution centre for home deliveries so, as I am working from home on Monday and I have managed to get a delivery confirmed, I have gone for home delivery over continuing to try in store.

From my investigation at John Lewis last week I wouldn't be surprised if they already have had some units delivered to store (they were expecting them last Friday).

Seems strange that home delivery seems to get priority over physical stores nowadays for stock.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I have been through exactly the same as mentioned above. Wanting to pick up this unit on day of launch from a retailer was what I was hoping for but sadly a lot harder than you would think.

This unit is very hard to actually physically get your hands on immediately. Thankfully I managed, but to be fair I got very lucky and I did investigate what seems to be every option that there was.

Retail Options (at time of writing this post):

Argos - No Stock - Never had any stock

Currys/Pc World - No Stock - Online home delivery only, until stock arrives at stores

Richer Sounds/Euronics - No Stock in stores - In Stock in warehouse for store delivery (3-7 days)

Comet - Very Limited Stock - Only in certain stores as of today (check click & collect service)

John Lewis - In Stock (Only at Oxford Street store), can be ordered into local store in 1 working day

On day of launch till this morning there was only one place to go out and actually get one. John Lewis Oxford Street.

I was lucky enough that I was actually returning a Samsung PVR to my local John Lewis and asked if they had any in stock. They said no but knew it was meant to be out "soon". They looked on their stock list saw they had plenty in the warehouse and ordered me one on that Thursday for delivery to store on Saturday.

Now had the box for just over a day and am very very happy.

However I am still stunned at how difficult it is for anyone to actually physically get it "in time for the olympics" as they kept saying when it would be available. Only if your fortunate enough to happen to live near the Oxford Street John Lewis store.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I think a couple of the trialsts are selling there boxes, I have seen one on ebays to the that effect

It isn't theirs to sell yet. Your trial box is gifted to you only at the end of the trial, and it isn't over yet. It finishes on 23 August.

Owen Smith said:
It isn't theirs to sell yet. Your trial box is gifted to you only at the end of the trial, and it isn't over yet. It finishes on 23 August.

Correct,but the listing says that the item will not be available until 25 August, when will be dispatched. This listing end todays and appears to have lots of bids

Correct,but the listing says that the item will not be available until 25 August, when will be dispatched. This listing end todays and appears to have lots of bids

I hope any bidders that think they have an unlimited download limit from their ISP reads the fine print :eek:.

They are likely to have a rude awakening. :thumbsdow

If anyone is thinking of getting youview should seriously consider waiting for a isp provider deal. That way they won't get any nasty surprises.

grahamlthompson said:
I hope any bidders that think they have an unlimited download limit from their ISP reads the fine print :eek:.

They are likely to have a rude awakening. :thumbsdow

If anyone is thinking of getting youview should seriously consider waiting for a isp provider deal. That way they won't get any nasty surprises.

Whats the difference between getting youview and watching demand on any other PVR

Whats the difference between getting youview and watching demand on any other PVR

The EPG comes over your broadband on Youview as do any software updates. It uses your broadband all the time basically. How much that adds up to in data is a different matter, I suspect it's not that large.

Owen Smith said:
The EPG comes over your broadband on Youview as do any software updates. It uses your broadband all the time basically. How much that adds up to in data is a different matter, I suspect it's not that large.

The only concern I would have, that there may be some people that don't know this, and buy youview box to use as just a standard Freeview HD pvr and therefore don't connect a internet connection. The set top box won't do much. I think this must clearly labeled that a internet connection needed other wise the shops can expect a lot of returns

I agree the epg catch up data is trivial, only the programme content is significant. If you watch lots of vod content now, then it won't make a fat lot of difference. Using the BBC-HD service if you don't have it now will make some difference but not a very large one. If you already use catch up services a lot there's not much difference apart from convenience. Basically youview opens vod services to those that don't already use it, with a very simple interface, but without any details as to how lots of usage is going to affect their ISP charges and service speeds.

Basically if you fancy it, check your current download speed using the check on the Youview site, then check the fine print on your current ISP's terms and conditions in relation to usage.

If you regulary run out of tuners to record broadcast content a 2nd pvr will eventually pay for itself and provide better quality to boot.

There is vitually no content that isn't repeated at some time.

Say you have a HDR FOX T2 now, should you buy a Humax Youview box or a 2nd HDR FOX T2. There is no contest especially if the two boxes are in different locations.

You can view recordings on either box on the other, irrespective of what the main box user is viewing (media streaming). Compare the two, with two HDR FOX T2 (£100.00 cheaper), you can record 4 different channels at the same time ignoring repeats, and watch any (including HD), on either box.

Last edited:
My box arrived earlier this afternoon and is now installed. Excellent so far. It has Manufacturer SW 7.7.10 and Component SW 1.0.10 and Platform Config 210.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom