Youview Humax DTR-T1000 / DTR-T1010 Product Review

Sorry matey are you in the correct thread? Your other posts on this issue seem to be in a different thread for a different model of Humax :)

I've a freesat box my parents have a youview box.

Both aren't the experience I'd expect for spending 250 to 300 quid.

No it's just I didn't recognise what he was speaking about, so looked at his profile & saw he mentioned nearly the same issue on a thread for a different box. I wasn't trying to be cheeky :)

Post wasn't aimed at anyone, merely pointing out that there is now a DTR-T1010. Same box different case, it just makes sense to include both in the thread title. No point in a seperate thread for essentially the same box. One for the thread moderator :D

Hands up..I havnt read the whole of this thread, but Im looking at getting a shiney new T1010 to replace my FetchTV-Tesco box....but have a few questions..most of them generic Youview questions, but may be Humax-specific..

1) Can "past" programs be recorded? ie, can I record a program broadcast yesterday, or is it only available "On Demand" for 1 week? (Not refering to OnDemand services like iplayer, 4OD etc)

2) Can recorded programs be "Exported" to a USB device, to be watched via another media player? (Like the FetchTV box) I make make the assumption that this may only be possible with SD recordings, not HD

3) Is there a web interface, to set up a recording remotely?

4) I guess Im pushing my luck to ask if there is any way to use the box as a streaming device a-la Slingbox/Belkin@TV type device?, to watch recordings remotely??..I only ask because I assume most of the Hardware is there?

5) I read that VONETS VAP11G device's can be used as a wifi dongle, wireless connection on some Youview Box's.....anyone here had success??

6) Im sure I had a 6th Question...maybe I'll remember it later..

Many Thanks...

Hands up..I havnt read the whole of this thread, but Im looking at getting a shiney new T1010 to replace my FetchTV-Tesco box....but have a few questions..most of them generic Youview questions, but may be Humax-specific..

1) Can "past" programs be recorded? ie, can I record a program broadcast yesterday, or is it only available "On Demand" for 1 week? (Not refering to OnDemand services like iplayer, 4OD etc)

2) Can recorded programs be "Exported" to a USB device, to be watched via another media player? (Like the FetchTV box) I make make the assumption that this may only be possible with SD recordings, not HD

3) Is there a web interface, to set up a recording remotely?

4) I guess Im pushing my luck to ask if there is any way to use the box as a streaming device a-la Slingbox/Belkin@TV type device?, to watch recordings remotely??..I only ask because I assume most of the Hardware is there?

5) I read that VONETS VAP11G device's can be used as a wifi dongle, wireless connection on some Youview Box's.....anyone here had success??

6) Im sure I had a 6th Question...maybe I'll remember it later..

Many Thanks...

1) no, you can only record from the dvb tuner, what I find weird is of I record something it marks all instances of it in the guide, so once tonight new big bang theory records on e4 the one on +1 is marked as I'd the repeats on Sunday and Tuesday

2) I've boy tried this but I don't think it is currently available

3) currently it's iPhone only but they are working on other platforms, I would hope a web based one would come at some point soon

4) no not yet, I read somewhere they may add a dlna server function but I don't think you could do it from external connection

5) I've no idea what you ate taking about

6) you probably did

Hope this is has been at least semi useful

:smashin: Big help..Cheers..

RE#5, The Humax box has to be plugged in to the internet via its Ethernet port.
the "VONETS VAP11G" device, plugs into the Humax via its Ethernet port & acts as a WiFi dongle...meaning the Humax can connect Wirelessly, rather than cable. I was wondering if anyone here had tried the Gizmo & had sucess.

Vonets WiFi Bridge - Satsecure *

*NOTE: no connections with these people, just using the link as an example.

:smashin: Big help..Cheers..

RE#5, The Humax box has to be plugged in to the internet via its Ethernet port.
the "VONETS VAP11G" device, plugs into the Humax via its Ethernet port & acts as a WiFi dongle...meaning the Humax can connect Wirelessly, rather than cable. I was wondering if anyone here had tried the Gizmo & had sucess.

Vonets WiFi Bridge - Satsecure *

*NOTE: no connections with these people, just using the link as an example.

I think they should work, the box will just think it's plugged in to an Ethernet port so won't know any difference between this and a cable from the router. If you get one from bt they ask if it's near the router and if you say no they send you some free powerline adaptor's to get you set up

Having some problems with the remote on my Youview box where it is taking a number of presses before the box responds properly.
I've done some searching and there seems to be a problem where the youview IR is clashing with Panasonic plasma as can be seen in this thread http://www.talktalkmembers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=912993#post912993

Anyone on here suffering with the same problem? Its driving me mad and I'm thinking of getting rid of the box and sending it back

Having some problems with the remote on my Youview box where it is taking a number of presses before the box responds properly.
I've done some searching and there seems to be a problem where the youview IR is clashing with Panasonic plasma as can be seen in this thread Panasonic Compatibility Issue - The TalkTalk Members Forums

Anyone on here suffering with the same problem? Its driving me mad and I'm thinking of getting rid of the box and sending it back

Every Humax HD box for the UK market up to the latest two had remote controls that incorporated six different sets of commands and which could be re-programmed very easily to a different set. That was particularly useful if, for example, you had a HD Fox T2 and a Foxsat HD. Out of the box, these used the same command codes but you could change one to another set.

This is the procedure:
1. Switch on your TV set and the Humax product that you wish to change the remote code.
2. Make sure that the other Humax product that you do not wish to control is in Standby or powered OFF at the mains.
3. Point the remote control towards the remote control sensor of the target receiver.
4. Press and hold the 0 and OK buttons simultaneously for 5 seconds until the PVR button on the remote stays red.
5. A message will appear on the TV screen:

"You can change the remote control mode.
Press a Numeric Key (<1> ~ <6>) to select the mode
Current mode: Mode 1."

6. Press a NUMERIC button (from 1 to 6) to select a different mode.
7. A message confirming the change of Mode will appear on screen.

The remote for the Youview box shares the standard command set with the rest and the above instructions appear to work up to stage 4. The PVR button stays lit but there are no on-screen messages, likely because it is not a standard function for the YV GUI. You could try doing the reprogramming "blind" and seeing if that makes a difference.

NOTE: I presume you have an early TalkTalk installation using the Humax box as you have posted under this thread. The Huawei box may well be different and not incorporate more than one command set. It may be worth asking your TV maker if there is a way of changing its command set.

Last edited:
lbear are you saying above (I am being very dense here) that I can take my Humax Freesat PVR RC and program the "source" button for flipping between AV inputs on my TV into the Humax Youview PVR RC?

(this is a glaring omission on the Youview PVR RC)

thanks for the info but it made no difference. May as well get the topfield out of retirement

lbear are you saying above (I am being very dense here) that I can take my Humax Freesat PVR RC and program the "source" button for flipping between AV inputs on my TV into the Humax Youview PVR RC?

(this is a glaring omission on the Youview PVR RC)

No, but I think I can see a solution for you.

The above work with any of the HD/HDR Fox T2 or Foxsat HD/HDR remotes and will, for example, enable you to change the Foxsat remote mode between the options to avoid clashing with the Youview model. That appears to use option 1 command codes, as did the Fox T2 and Foxsat HD I have. So it appears the Humax Youview does not have the alternative code options available.

Now to the question of your Foxsat HDR and changing the TV. As you may know, the other three options at the top of the remote can be programmed to work, in addition to the box: your TV, a DVD player or an audio device. If you have not already done so, go through all the codes for your particular make. I found that there were two or three codes that did the simple on/off but one also operated some quite obscure functions on a fairly uncommon Hitachi LCD - like moving the picture in picture around the main screen! Something none of the so-called universal remotes managed.

You will likely find the same. The problem is that although the codes are the same, different models use the signal from a button for different purposes. Similarly with the TV controls, you have to check all the buttons to find if a particular funtions is available.

Last edited:
TV portal is the humax vod area, my old HD fox-t2 had it. It sucked, as far as I know it was iPlayer and an internet radio service and that was it. Not sure why the youview box still has it in the manual though

Humax manuals are notorious cut and paste jobs lifting whole sections from other manuals etc. The original HD Fox T2 manual had helpful hints about what problems you might encounter that required adjustments to your satellite dish. :eek:

Thanks lbear, my Foxsat PVR actually has a button called "source" that once I have my Sony TV code working will flip through the inputs of my TV. The Humax Youview PVR RC does not, hence wondering if I could copy it from the Freesat RC. Aw diddums, only negative I am finding on the device.

Having to use the Sony TV to get to HDMI 2....bit of a PITA.

No, but I think I can see a solution for you.

The above work with any of the HD/HDR Fox T2 or Foxsat HD/HDR remotes and will, for example, enable you to change the Foxsat remote mode between the options to avoid clashing with the Youview model. That appears to use option 1 command codes, as did the Fox T2 and Foxsat HD I have. So it appears the Humax Youview does not have the alternative code options available.

Now to the question of your Foxsat HDR and changing the TV. As you may know, the other three options at the top of the remote can be programmed to work, in addition to the box: your TV, a DVD player or an audio device. If you have not already done so, go through all the codes for your particular make. I found that there were two or three codes that did the simple on/off but one also operated some quite obscure functions on a fairly uncommon Hitachi LCD - like moving the picture in picture around the main screen! Something none of the so-called universal remotes managed.

You will likely find the same. The problem is that although the codes are the same, different models use the signal from a button for different purposes. Similarly with the TV controls, you have to check all the buttons to find if a particular funtions is available.

CJROSS said:
Having to use the Sony TV to get to HDMI 2....bit of a PITA.

Hi,

I have a Sony KDL-40W5500 and have found a way to switch source with just the Humax remote.

I had to keep trying several remote codes to get to one that worked fully but once I did I can press the 'DEL' button, which brings up the cross bar menu, centred on the 'External Inputs' column, then the navigation keys on the remote can scroll to the alternative source. Pressing OK then changes the input.

Hope that helps,

Laxman.

Laxman cheers will go and try! I have a 40W4000 and a 40EX503.........will try and see how I get on. Thanks for advice though!

(Tried after posting and could not get nav keys working but ....!)

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure it was the 4th code in the Sony list (the 1st and 3rd didn't work at all, and the 2nd would launch the crossbar menu but the navigation keys didn't work.)

Laxman my current set up is number 2 and I cannot move the navigation keys ..... I away to program in code 4! Fanks! Fanks! Fanks!

No joy with any of the Sony codes in the manual.....boo hoo! This is having a problem with the EX503 TV.

CJROSS said:
No joy with any of the Sony codes in the manual.....boo hoo! This is having a problem with the EX503 TV.

That's a shame... I've just checked and it was the 5th code (412) that did the trick on mine.

Hello,

I have a Humax DTR-T1010 coming this week.

Can I upgrade the hard drive inside to a 4TB one, as I have a few at home and it would be nice to have a large drive in the unit? I read the thread about upgrading the Humax HDR-Fox T2, so wondered if anyone had tried it out on this unit.

If not, I'll just use them for my NAS.

Regards,

Hello,

I have a Humax DTR-T1010 coming this week.

Can I upgrade the hard drive inside to a 4TB one, as I have a few at home and it would be nice to have a large drive in the unit? I read the thread about upgrading the Humax HDR-Fox T2, so wondered if anyone had tried it out on this unit.

If not, I'll just use them for my NAS.

Regards,

That's a good question. I have not read anyone say they have done it on the Youview forum. If you do do it I would be interested to hear the results!

>2TB would require OPT (instead of MBR) support which I doubt the box will support. There is also the question of what size HDD the box can format natively... If its like other Humax boxes then it won't be able to format 2TB directly.

>2TB would require OPT (instead of MBR) support which I doubt the box will support. There is also the question of what size HDD the box can format natively... If its like other Humax boxes then it won't be able to format 2TB directly.

If it's any help, the new HDR-1000s will format a 2TB drive by itself. Would have thought the Youview boxes will be similar.

Hello,

I got a DTR-T1000 & T1010 in this week.

I setup the T1000, then popped it open to get the drive out. I work in a computer lab, so I used a forensic imager to clone the 1TB drive onto a 2TB drive. I then put the 2TB drive back into the T1000 and booted it up. It worked fine, and even had all my settings and the programs I had recorded on there.

My question now is:

Is there any way of telling how much free space there is on a drive, in GB, not the awful percentage scale you see when viewing your recordings? There's no point installing a 2TB drive if it is still only using 1TB of it, and leaving the rest as unallocated space.

If not, I'll have to record an entire days worth of programs to the 1TB drive, then compare the same on the 2TB to see if the %free space differs. Does that make sense?

I haven't tried this in the T1010 yet, but I'm assuming it will work.

I'll report back.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom