Youview Humax DTR-T1000 / DTR-T1010 Product Review

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by johnalkateb, Jul 30, 2012.

1. johnalkateb

johnalkateb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Apologies I do not own nor have used a Humax HDR-Fox T2 at all. I only bring this up as I know the majority of people are comparing this unit directly to that one. I know that the T2 is an incredible unit and is very good especially when considering the custom firmware that can be used. My previous Samsung BD-DT7800 after almost 2 months of trying to get on with it, I hated it and ended up exchanging it for this unit. I have had extensive use of Sky+ HD boxes round numerous friends and although not perfect I think it is an adequate unit for its capabilities.

Most if not all online reviews only focus on the catch-up part. It's as if they have all either forgotten or not realised that there is a PVR side and TV to this unit that is just as vital. With that in mind I'll start with talk on the catch-up services and get it out the way.

On-Demand Functions:

First off nearly any electronic device with a data connection now has on-demand services plugged in somewhere. I mean you can now get it on your freeview/smart tv/xbox/ps3/blu-ray player, literally any box under the tv now shoves on-demand somewhere. What I hate about all of them is it's an afterthought and not the main feature. Just a bolt on app on their box normally poorly implemented.

With that said…

It works………… and very well I feel. I have a 6MB connection and have tried out all content providers including HD on BBC Iplayer. Have not had any buffering issues or prolonged loading screens that I have seen on many other smart TV's and similar units.

Most vital to this unit is how it integrates on-demand with live TV.

One way to catch-up is through going backwards on the 7-day EPG. This allows for quick scanning from all content providers across the last 7 days. The interface is good looking in my opinion with it being clean, clear and simple. Content that is available on-demand has a play symbol represented next to the programme name.

Scrolling speeds are fast. There's some good reason to this although the majority of time text is loaded fairly instantly it will occasionally need you to pause for a momentary second to load all the text on the EPG. When I say for a moment I really do mean for just a second and it has loaded up. One benefit to this is that it will not impair your scrolling speeds allowing you to flick fast from top to bottom of EPG instead of it pausing on every button press to load all the text on the page even if you're not interested in it. However that being said compared to all good EPG's that I have come across I would say it works on par if not better due to no pausing if wanting to scroll fast.

Although I do believe this can and hope will be sorted with future software updates but to tell you the truth it is not something that has really concerned me at all.

Selecting programmes from the catch-up EPG takes you straight to the episode page. With some content providers automatically playing and others requesting you to further click play it's all very slick, smooth and instant. When on the EPG you can press the rewind and fast forward buttons to take you back in 24 hour periods. This allows you to easily scan the primetime slot throughout the week.

Another way of accessing on-demand content is through the on-demand subsection in the main menu (no surprise there). This is where you can access all content providers either individually or one of the best parts all together. Through this section you can select comedy/film and it will show you that entire genre across all content providers.

While I'm on the subject of slight differences from content providers there are more to be noticed. Looks wise they all have their own branding as seen in all their other on demand apps they make but they do all follow the same sort of style for accessing contents. There is nothing that is present on others that is severally lacking on the other channels. With the exception of HD which at this time only BBC offer. HD can be auto selected in the system menu which will always play HD content on-demand when available.

The final and most simple way of finding on demand content is through the search feature in the main menu or through the dedicated button on the remote. Not really much to go into here other than you search it finds and then displays some info for you from there you can select and go straight to content. Simple, fast and efficient. Lots of ooooo I wonder if this is available games.

Overall the on-demand features all work. With loading times all within acceptable and having not experienced any buffering or programmes stopping half way I really can't fault it. It has performed robustly and consistently. Here's hoping it carries on like that.

PVR Functions:

EPG is exactly the same as the on-demand one as they are both linked together and are the same thing. So I won't go over points mentioned earlier again.

Recordings can be set through the EPG by highlighting the programme and selecting the record button on the remote or a reminder can be placed by selecting OK on the remote. When selecting to record a programme if available a series link option will be displayed. Split recordings are automatically covered for instance if a movie is split by the news it will auto select the other half of the programme. Conflict recordings are also presented and give you options to resolve.

Mini guide can be displayed by pressing OK on the remote when watching live TV. A small bar like guide is displayed at the bottom part of the screen. You can scroll through channels and backwards and forwards through time. Recordings and reminders can also be set/cancelled from here.

There are no recording settings whatsoever in the system menu. The only option you do have is to select auto delete on or off to stop the box from auto-deleting content when it is full. There are no options for padded recording or manual timing like other Humax units have. This is not a major concern to me but can understand why some may find it an issue.

Only on BBC but if selecting to record a programme and it is available in HD it will ask you if you want to record this content in HD. I love this feature especially with how the guide is laid out with all the HD channels shoved to the end. Also only on BBC if you press the i button and the content is in HD you can select watch in HD. I just wish that ITV and Ch4 would follow this as it just makes HD more integrated.

Instant rewind works very very well. When tuned into a channel you can rewind at any point to any stage from when you switched to that channel. From pressing the rewind button on live TV the response is instant and is not jerky. You have 4 speed options to select from up to x30 speed in both directions. Pressing stop at any time takes you right back to the current moment in live TV. Unlike other units I have used the timeshift function is not broken when you go to the guide/settings/menu or anything for that matter except for when you launch an on-demand service. I only point this out because on my previous Samsung unit it would stop timeshift if you went to the guide/settings/menu, just about anything that wasn't just watching tv.

I have found it a real pleasure to use unlike many other manufactures. The interface is clean and simple with progress bar at bottom and simple ff/rw symbols appearing on button press.

Recording from half way through a programme can be done by pressing the record button and it will automatically record till the end of the programme. However if you were already watching the programme it will not save anything viewed previous to the record button being pressed. This is a little disappointing as it already has that part of the recording saved for instant rewind but won't combine them. I believe this is a feature on Sky+ but please do correct me if I'm wrong.

If you come in half way through a recording you can go to my recordings and choose to watch the current recording from the beginning while it is still recording the rest of the programme. Whilst watching the recording it will automatically stop at the end of the programme and will not interrupt you while you watch. Unlike my old Samsung that when the recording was complete it would stop the playback and you would have to go through everything again. A major pain in the ass!

One slight improvement I would like is the ability to also go to the channel and simply rewind it without having to go to my recordings. However this could be argued to be longer to wait for it to rewind than go to youview -> myview -> select recording -> play.

As it is a dual tuner it can record two programmes at once and you can also watch on-demand content at the same time as the recordings taking place or even a previous recording.

Scheduled recordings can be viewed by accessing youview -> myview -> schedule and organised by date or a-z.

There is no DLNA or Wi-Fi so not much to cover there. These are two features I know many of you are going to be expecting and wanting. I'm fortunate enough that DLNA is not too much of a big deal for me as I have PC hooked up to TV. Wi-Fi again I am lucky that my router is by my TV. (Dongle planned to come out but can not comment as I have no information)

Settings for the unit are simple and there aren't that many compared to some units that seem to go on forever with sub-menus and extra options. As not at TV at the moment hard to remember any exacts. I'm happy with that as there aren't really any settings I need to play around with at the moment. However I am sure as software updates happen more will come and add some extra functionality that I will enjoy.

One thing it really lacks is although being Dolby Digital Pulse certified it only outputs the HD channels in PCM not DD. Not sure if this is because during Olympics they have changed to try and fit more channels on or if this is something that will need updating on the unit.

With Eco mode set to high I found the boot up times to be faaaar too long. For others this may not be a concern depending on how you live and how you use the box on a daily basis. But I didn't really want to spend that amount of time at a loading screen each time I turn on the unit. Switching the setting to low has helped greatly reduce boot up times to a much more practical level. Shame loosing out on the super eco savings but a compromise is no problem. Again maybe with future software updates we could see improvements.

In true Humax tradition there is no HDMI-CEC which is a shame. So that means it won't auto switch HDMI source when switched on/off and won't auto switch on/off when TV turned on/off. A feature that is present on many other devices but under a whole host of other names. Don't think that this will get updated in the future only because no Humax device I know off has had this feature enabled.

Overall the performance of the box I have found to be very good. All features that it does have it performs them well. I have found all menu's and actions to be done all with good reaction times and with hardly any delays. Unlike my constant frustration with other units that have messy user interfaces and slow navigation this really is a nice fresh feeling. I mean that in looks too, nice to see a user interface that is trying to be 2012.

What this box does offer/do that I have felt others have missed is seamlessly uniting catch-up and live TV together into all round lovely interface. More vitally it has ALL the major free content providers in one place.

Although very early days I'm finding the performance to be great and am looking for any improvements they can make through software updates. But even without any updating I'm actually really happy with my box and can't wait to continue using it.

With some little tweaks and performance improvements I will love this box even more. For instance I would like to see the auto HD to be updated to include live TV. So if you ever select SD live tv it will take you straight to the HD channel too, just like on-demand. As well as some of the other things mentioned above.

Will be looking to create a video review/feature showcase as it's much better to see it working if your interested, just need a little some spare time.

Please do point out any major points that I am missing out on and I will try and update you accordingly.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,523
    Great review of the box, but I think it will quickly get lost being within a thread. I would suggest you create a dedicated review thread for this which should make it easier for others to find :smashin:

Mark.

3. davedrizen

davedrizen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Thanks john very good report, be grateful if you could say what software version your box has?

4. johnalkateb

johnalkateb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    @davedrizen - Manufacturer Software: 7.7.10
    Component Software: 1.0.10
    Platform Configuration: 210
    ISP Configuration: 1
    Same as Colin London posted.

@Clem_Dye - Have read the post you were on about which is what lead me to investigate and confirm it in my review. Great suggestion about trying to see if it's the same for live and on-demand.

Have now tried and can confirm that even on SD/HD on-demand it still transmits in PCM. Obviously this could only be done on BBC as they are the only ones with HD on-demand.

Hopefully it's correct about it being MIA and will get sorted with an update at some point.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  5. davedrizen

davedrizen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Try recording a programme on bbc 1, another on itv1 and watching a live programme on ch4 all at the same time.
    It should not be possible but have read reports that it is.

6. johnalkateb

johnalkateb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Interesting........ OK have tried it out in a number of ways.

The answer is yes & no. Sorry I know that doesn't help but I think this will shed some light:

(R) = Recording
    (W) = Watching

BBC 1 HD (R) + ITV 1 HD (R) + Ch4 HD (W) = Yes / Ch4 = Yes, Can actually watch several other channels but not all.

BBC 1 (R) + ITV 1 (R) + CH 4 (W) = Yes / Ch 4HD (W) = No, Several other channels work but some don't.

BBC 1 HD (R) + ITV 1 (R) + CH4 HD (W) = Yes / CH4 Yes, Several other channels work but some don't.

I think but really not sure it all depends on the MUX that the channels are on. With it being a dual tuner if you want to watch something that is on the same MUX channel as the two recordings it can allow that. But go to a third MUX it's when it says that you have to cancel a recording.

Again I'm really not sure about this and just trying to figure it out based on the tests that I have shown above. Hope it helps.

7. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,098
    As duplicate posts are not permitted i have moved all posts regarding this subject into this thread. I will delete one of your posts John - hopefully retaining the thanks you already have.

I have to leave momentarily but will return later to attend to any additional thread tidying.

8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,187

Assuming it's the same as HDR-FOX T2. Recording two from the same mux, then any other channel can be viewed and live paused. On the Freeview+ box once one of the two recording channels completes it's recording the time shift buffer on the viewed channel can be backed up so this channel can slso be recorded.

Recording two from different mux then any channel sharing a mux with either recording can be viewed.

This means that while recording two HD channels any of the other 2 can be used and also recorded retrospectively if viewed from the beginning.

9. lbear

lbear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +337
    Auto HD switching can be a pain, especially when the BBC forget to send the SD flag. This results in having to manually change back to SD to see regional programming. Then of course your box detects the HD flag that has been left on so you have to switch off the auto. This happens constantly with Breakfast on BBC1 on my Technika

10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,187
    Thanks to Barry at My Humax for checking this out.

If you only have a SD TV or currently use a rf distribution system like the Sky Magic eye system, don't buy the box (unless a fix is found).

The Menu and EPG Overlays are missing from the analogue outputs so the box will be impossible to use.

Clarification (also thanks to Barry)

Using only analogue then overlays are present. They aren't there when hdmi is used as well. So will work with a SD TV but it appears that you won't be able to say use a video sender to a remote TV without disconnecting the hdmi first. (seeking clarification). Looks like to get the overlays you have to remove the hdmi cable.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  11. davedrizen

davedrizen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Can clarify when you say SD tv. Do you mean that it if you connect via a scart or UHF loop though.

12. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,187
    If you connect the box to a SD device only, either by scart or any other means (rf modulator for instance) it will work OK.

If you have a main HD TV and connect it by HDMI and plan to use one of the analogue outputs to feed a 2nd or more TV(s) directly, by a video sender, or by an existing Sky type distribution system (or a slingbox for instance), then you will get the pictures but won't be able to see any of the menu options.

For instance you won't see the recordings list so you won't be able to select one to watch remotely until you disconnect the hdmi cable from the main TV.

All other Humax boxes output the same content from all the outputs at the same time.

13. swedish cook

swedish cook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    ... So if I want to connect scart to a tv and hdmi via amp to projector I would be stuffed ??

Is this a bug in the software or how it will stay - the Humax HDR has no such problem so it sounds like a bug.

I hope they staffed up the returns department.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2012
  14. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,187
    While the projector is connected then you won't see the overlays, media list etc on the TV until the hdmi connection is removed. It's not a bug Humax have already said that to provide the same picture on all outputs requires too many resources. I guess you would have to use a hdmi splitter and a hdmi to analogue RGB converter for the TV.

It came to light when a poster in another place tried to use one with a slingbox.

15. davedrizen

davedrizen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    How come the problem dose not happen on HDR T2, surely that box had the same amount of resources?

16. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,187
    Ask Humax, that's the answer they gave when asked about the problem.

17. swedish cook

swedish cook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Wait a sec - I don't want both devices on together, I presume the Youview box would know the HDMI device was on or off.

My Sony Bluray works like that, when the amp comes on it pops up a message on the TV saying that it cannot output component whilst hdmi device is in use.

Can someone confirm ?

18. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,187
    Barry at My Humax tried it but only has a single display, when viewing by scart the epg only appears when the hdmi lead is disconnected. Using a switch might sort it. Not having a box I can't test for you.

19. davedrizen

davedrizen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Have you actually tried this your self on a youview box or just passing on information from another external forum?

I have a youview box and it is connected to my TV via HDMI cable I also connected the youviews scart connector to a my panosonic DVD recorder and viewed youview box via though the DVD recorder. I still have my youview box hdml connected to my tv.
    I can confirm that I can view EPG's Menu overlays ect via the DVD recorder without any problem.
    I would think this would be the same as connecting any other equipment to youview scart so I can not see there is much of a problem.

20. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,187
    Not from a forum, directly from a beta tester. I don't have a Youview box to check. It's possible different TV's act differently. See post 18

Humax have confirmed the problem exists as well.

21. davedrizen

davedrizen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I thought the beta testing of this box was was exclusivly being conducted by youview?

22. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,187
    Goto the My Humax forum and read for yourself. What would Youview know about the limitations of the hardware ?. Frankly reading between the lines the test programme was a farce, Youview ignored the more experienced testers opinions and finished up with a dogs dinner. :eek:

Everything I have posted is now in the public domain.

There's no point in continuing here, I have posted all the info I have here, with the sole intention of informing users of the possible shortcomings of the box.

23. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,187
    The next problem has been discovered.

If you have an older HD-Ready TV that does not support 1080p then you cannot use the box for HD viewing. There is no way to output anything else but 1080p.

24. davedrizen

davedrizen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Have you highlighted the problem to youview. There is a feedback form on there web site so such problems can be reported.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  25. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,187
    No need the source of the information has already reported the problem. Don't hold your breath, based on the response to other shortcomings, I doubt they will do anything about the problem. Time will tell :confused:

26. Clem_Dye

Clem_Dye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +589
    I'd be inclined to get a refund. The more people that complain this way perhaps the more the Youview bods will realise that they have to do better.

HDMI issue aside, I really can't understand why they kicked-off with a PVR. Far better surely, to have offered a simple STB version sans PVR to begin with. I'm keen to try Youview -- my plastic is at the ready -- but I certainly won't pay for what's in essence a brain-dead PVR bolted-on to the bit that I'm after, certainly not at the current asking price.

Sigh.

Clem

27. davedrizen

davedrizen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Looking at my tv this evening (which Nearly 4 years old ) when I switch on my youview box says on screen that its HD format is 1080i and I have no problem using for youview.

28. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,187
    What make and model is your TV ? 4 yrs isn't that old. The original HD ready spec dates from 2005.

Not normally allowed to post links to other forums. Google the following

"A very odd box! 1080p only but no surround sound?

If they expect their market to have the latest output device, then they should provide surround. Otherwise allow screen output at other resolutions and not force everyone to update their TV! "

EDIT

There is a possibility that the box will output whatever resolution the display reports it is capable of. There's no way of manually changing what is output. Not much use if using a splitter to feed more than 1 device.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  29. davedrizen

davedrizen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    From what I understand the original HD ready spec of 2005 which has a maximum interlaced format of 1080i and progressive format of 720p. "The HD ready 1080p" spec was brought in later and is the spec of most new TVs. Therefore I would think most earlier HD ready tv's would be capable of showing pictures in 1080i but not 1080p.
    My Tv which is a Toshiba model no 26AV505D according to the manual it conforms to the 2005 spec and will only display up 720p progressive scan and 1080i interlaced scan
    This said it has no problems displaying picture from my youview box in 1080i, in fact when I switch the youview box on it automatically goes to 1080i format.
    I tend to agree that probably the youview automatically outputs to what display is capable of and may be the user manual should be updated to this fact.
    Surly if the TVs capable of displaying pictures 1080i and the youview box is capable of this, I would want to watch in 1080i, therefore surly is decremental step to manually set the tv to a lower resolution because another piece of equipment connected to the same hdmi socket is not capable of that and have watch programmes from the youview box in a lower resolution

30. amjl2000

amjl2000
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Out of interest, did the HDR-T2 have loads of problems at release? I get the impression Humax were forced to release hardware ASAP (deadline: olympics) so they focussed on the Youview aspect, and took shortcuts on the rest (Sugar was more worried about his reputation than Humax's).

Hopefully the PVR aspects and general settings and configuration etc can be copied over from the HDR without too much fuss. This would make the DTR a very worthy upgrade to the HDR in 6 months time, assuming the difference in price is minimal.

I'm currently on the fence about whether to go HDR or DTR - forced upon me by not having enough cash to upgrade my noble 9200!