Question Youview+ BT - advice on recording needed

Patricia P

Novice Member
I am looking for a cheap way of recording catchup tv so I can skip adverts. I need a remote that has 20, 30 second jumps. The youview+ and freeview play are similar (except the latter doesn't have itv catchup)

Amazon fire Stick has reasonable access to catchup tv but the ad blocker doesn't always work, and I haven't figured out how to switch from More4 into ad blocker as More4 returns to the start menu.

I may buy a uhd box so it will be future compatible but we have no current plans to upgrade our fhd Sony tv. The SD upscaling is very good so most catchup tv will be fine not just HD. I hope a uhd box will cope with producing 1080p signal and recording.

Ariel, Ethernet and power are available, as is unlimited fibre broadband.

I can get a reconditioned amazon bt 500GB-cr for £125 B07Y5HHCGH

I would prefer to spend less than £100 on a working warrantied PVR but this seems to offer all I need.

Is it a rebadged humax?

Any advice on this model is appreciated, particularly on my concerns about using the remote on paused and recordings.

mikej

I'm a bit confused by your terms - do you actually mean you want to record past programs from a catch-up TV service or simply stream it, with the ability to skip adverts ?

As far as I understand, the alternatives to watching 'live' Freeview TV are either setting a timer to record a future program on a PVR or streaming a program you've missed via a catch-up service and if that catch-up service is commercial (eg. ITV, Ch 5 etc) then you have to sit through a few minutes of adverts, which are what pays for the service and can't be avoided.

Have I missed something or is my knowledge outdated ? I must admit that neither of my PVRs - a Humax HDR-Fox T2 and an old Topfield - are Freeview Play or YouView boxes, so I might be missing something here.

Patricia P

Novice Member
Thanks, yes I mean recording catchup.

I found the Humax FAQ for Youview. Recording catchup is not permitted.
Their remote control does allow skipping forward 60 seconds, but they don't clarify if this applies to catchup.

mikej

Thanks, yes I mean recording catchup.

I found the Humax FAQ for Youview. Recording catchup is not permitted.
Their remote control does allow skipping forward 60 seconds, but they don't clarify if this applies to catchup.
I guess the distinction is that a PVR records future programs in real time while they are being broadcast and the program is stored to a hard disk as a file which can be viewed back whenever you like, so you have control and the original channel has no way of preventing you from skipping adverts.

By contrast, watching a program via a catch-up service means you're streaming it via the internet and the supplier has much more control over the way their app functions and I would imagine, in most cases, won't allow adverts to be skipped.

I don't access catch-up services on my PVRs but whenever I view them via my TV's own apps or a Fire TV Stick, skipping adverts is not usually possible.

Last edited:

Patricia P

Novice Member
This has been useful. I have a FHD tv and digital stream PVR so the only benefit that youview+ has is the extended epg.
I can record future programs (some of which don't appear in the catchup anyway) so I shall not buy a youview box.

VisionMan

Hi Patricia,
You can't record Catch Up TV or skip adverts no matter what the device. The only way to do that would be to record the live broadcast. That would work perfectly for you. And a Youview skip feature jumps in increments of 1 minute. So 4 or 5 presses of that and you've skipped an advert break.

Patricia P

Novice Member
My digital stream PVR Remote with basic freeview can be programmed to jump in 30, 60 or 120 increments. Looks like it's not going to be retired yet.