Youview boxes also suffering from audio issues on HD channels?

jfinnie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been noticing audio clicks / pops, in particular on BBC News HD, no doubt due to it being a generally quiet channel. Receiver is a BT Youview+ box model DTR-T2110. Usually get 3 or 4 an hour.

I have quite a complex setup (Lumagen scaler, 2 x AV receivers, TV and projector), and so assumed it might have been some of that complexity; however it is still there bypassing all the kit, and seems to be due to the Youview box.

Is anyone else seeing this? I wonder if it is the same issue that the BBC mention as affecting certain models of TV:
BBC - Sound issues on Freeview HD services - Help Receiving TV and Radio

Humax make the BT badged boxes... Humax devices are one of the largest user base of Freeview HD units...
NB. Only the BBC B / PSB3 HD mux is affected by the sound issue on certain receivers.

BBC News HD is transmitted on the COM7 temporary mux. Thus your problem is not the same and is likely due to some form of interference to the signals. Hdmi cable signal leaking into the aerial cables is one common source. Heating or fridge thermostat switching another. Fluorescent and led drivers can cause problems, as might street lights or rarely overhead or underground mains supply cables (due to faults). You need to sort out any pattern in time-related interference that might pinpoint the cause.

Keep hdmi and aerial cables well apart. Swap aerial fly leads and hdmi leads for alternatives. Go over any hand-made aerial plugs with a fine toothed comb and remake any suspect ones.

I've also got a BT DB-T2200 unit; I've been using that for the last hour or so and not heard anything since. Not that that proves much in the case of a marginal failure like this is in my system.

Aware that Humax make the BT boxes; though size of installed base isn't any guarantee of bug-free status (Microsoft?! :)). Both the new BT boxes are worse built than the original Humax Youview box... the antenna connectors seem particularly vulnerable to any movement / stress on both my units.

Shame they cheapened them up; Youview has to be the best of the Freeview platforms. I'd gladly pay money for a really nicely built Youview box (though I guess I am in a tiny minority).

Shame they cheapened them up; Youview has to be the best of the Freeview platforms. I'd gladly pay money for a really nicely built Youview box (though I guess I am in a tiny minority).
Oh no your not! :D

I obtained a BT DTR-T2100 recorder (on contract) and was that impressed with it, went to Richer Sounds (on the same day) and bought a retail DTR-T2000 for the main room. The build quality knocks the socks off BTs unit, as thats plastic. The T2000 has a metal case. Mimetic polyalloy, no less. :)

Actually, I hadn't twigged - the DTR-T2000 is actually the same innards as the BT box, but in a metal case? I hadn't realised Humax had an own branded version product with better performance.

Not better performance, better build. They both have the same response times. Plus as the retail unit is in our living room I've switched all my BT subscription services onto it.

Ok, so this just got interesting (ish)...

I caught a glitch on the BT DB-T2200, just towards the end of BBC Sportsday ident on BBC News HD. Via my Onkyo AVR it sounds like a quick glitch on the right surround channel (I sit very close to the right). It can't be heard on any other channel. AVR is set to DTS:Neo Cinema.

So on a quick pause / rewind I notice that:

it goes away if I:
1) Set the Humax from Surround the Stereo
2) Set the AVR to Dolby PLII.

This glitch is not audible on the Sony amp.

Within a few seconds (in the In The Papers ident) there is another glitch. This one is audible on both the Sony and Onkyo AVR.

I'll record the same ident pair tomorrow and see if it is still there.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom