Question YouView box problems: Slow menu response, TV players stopped working & multiple channel recordings

brymbo76

Established Member
Reaction score
My YouView box that I have had for about 2 years seems to have developed a few faults which I would like help with.
The YouView box is originally a BT YouView box but around March this year, I changed my BT Infinity 70Mb Broadband to the 35Mb TalkTalk Broadband and subsequently the menus on the YouView box switched from BT to TalkTalk. Changing Broadband from BT to TalkTalk at the time and until recently has not affected the operation of my YouView box in any way.

Firstly, When pressing buttons on the remote control such as the TV guide or the YouView button to go into the recording menu or even changing the channel, the reaction of the box seems to take longer to react and respond to.

Secondly, when attempting to use BBC iPlayer or ITV Hub etc., you get a screen up with the word Loading across the middle with 4 grey circles and a blue circle going left to right and right to left alternately through the grey circles but after so long, it seems to give up and go back to the banner of 'Players and Apps'.

Thirdly, something it's sometimes done even before the other two problems, is that if I set a programme to record on say BBC1 North West or ITV Granada it can sometimes try and record the same programme on BBC1 West Midlands/ITV Central and/or BBC1/ITV Wales as well as I can receive all 3 regions. So if I'm recording something else on another channel, that other programme can sometimes fail to record as the box tries to record BBC1 or ITV on two or three regions. If 3 regions, two will be recorded and one will fail as well as the other programme I set to record. If I stop a recording manually earlier than the EPG would tell the box to stop recording, the programme will be recorded when next aired on the +1 channel or ITV2 if recording an ITV programme.

I know my Broadband speed is fast enough to handle the box so why does it react so slow now? And why has it failed to load any TV Players I wish to use?

Could there be a fault with it?
Is it just out of date now and I need a new one?
If anyone can help, I'd really appreciate it.

Kind Regards in advance.

It sounds like the box is detecting overlapping TV regions if it’s not recording what’s expected. As you can’t stop Youview boxes automatically updating channel lists you might need to call an aerial guy. As for the streaming, I’d try a factory reset. There could be issues with the mix of BT and TT data. Also check to see if there’s any new firmware for it.

Clem

I should've said that I live in a block of flats and we share the same aerial which points primarily to Winter Hill for North West but can also receive Wales and West Midlands from the aerial. As I'm on the top floor, I have a loft with an aerial pointing to The Wrekin/Sutton Coldfield that can't receive North West but can receive some signal from my Welsh relay for the SD PSBs though signal and quality is too low for it for reliable reception so I could connect my box to that aerial but sometimes I record programmes on BBC/ITV Wales so that won't work.

May a new (TalkTalk) YouView box or a YouView box not associated with BT or TalkTalk cure the problem?

The box is getting confused by reception from multiple TXs I think. You need something that will allow you to perform a manual tuning exercise using the best TX for your location. I don't believe that YouView boxes have that facility, having never used one in anger.

Clem

When I first had it (Humax DTRT2100) it always used to be fine in setting a programme on a BBC1/ITV region to record in that only that region tends to be recorded. Both when it was used with BT Broadband and changing to TalkTalk from March this year. My TV reception hasn't altered in that time and it's always managed to cope fine with multiple TV regions. It is tuned to Winter Hill for PSB1-3, COM4-8 & local (Liverpool TV) and it's also tuned to my Wales relay Tx just for PSB1-3 and The Wrekin for West Midlands just for PSB1&2.
So I don't know what's caused it to slow down all of a sudden when it was coping fine before with a different broadband provider and multiple TV regions but I suspect those aren't causing the problems if the box was fine with them previously. It is still updating the software so there's no problem with there being an old version installed on it.

Well my YouView box seems to be working fine again, at least for now.
I just gave it a 'Soft Reset' without factory resetting it and without deleting all my recordings by holding the Standby button in until it restarts and after booting up again, I was able to use Catch-Up TV and I've also been able to record BBC and ITV programmes and this time, just the channel I've set to record has only recorded, no duplication of the same programme on a different region.
Also, it's running at normal speed and not responding slow to remote control commands like it was doing previously.

I've put up with this problem over the last few years with my first Youview box and now the second one is also starting to behave in similar fashion.

I've yet to find out why the box does this and have searched for an answer/solution without success. However one thing I have established is that if I disconnect the network LAN cable from the Youview box, then response to the remote control (changing channels, flicking through menus, etc) dramatically improves to what I would expect be a normal response time!!

When I plug back in the cable, the box still response normally for the first few minutes, but then appears to start slowing down again.
One of the things I have noticed is that when viewing my saved recordings, the box initially complains that it cannot show me what programs it have recorded as the broadband connection has been lost. I'm puzzled as to why it needs to check on the broadband connection before showing me what programs it has recorded to its hard drive.

All this has led me now to believe that the operational performance of the box is 'tightly coupled' to the BT Broadband service and therefore a 'normal' response time of the box may well be dependent on how quickly it can interact with the BT Youview systems that manages the BT content services.

I know this does not resolve the problem, but I think it is worth anyone giving it a try (instead of the standard 'reboot' resolution) as it may prove to be a big step in resolving a very irritating problem.

Hi agentk,

Need a kit list please. Box model, how old is it, how is it connected to the internet and line speed.

Also, how many seconds is slow and how many fast? Just what are the response times? Ta.

Hi Vision Man

Need a kit list please. Box model, how old is it, how is it connected to the internet and line speed.

Humax DTRT2100 (variant 84B08500) - approximately delivered to me about 12 months ago. It is connected via Gigabit Ethernet LAN interface to my router. The router is connected to BT Superfast Internet Broadband with uplink speed of 76 Mb/s and download of 18 Mb/s.

Also, how many seconds is slow and how many fast? Just what are the response times? Ta.

Typical response time was:
Change channel: 3 second response from push of button on remote control.
Selecting 'Home'/'Guide': 4-5 second response from push of button on remote control.
Tabbing through programs recorded on hard drive: 8-9 second response from push of button on remote control.

After removing LAN ethernet connection, the response time was typically 1 second. Even after re-inserting the LAN connection, response time remained at 1 second. I'm hoping that it now stays that way. Prior to adopting this approach I was using the power off/on method which initially cleared the problem - only for it to start again in approximately 2 weeks. :)

Is there something you know about this Youview device/service that is responsible for what appears to be a very often reported issue.

No sorry as its not a problem I've seen reported before and believe me I read them all.

Edit - apart from BT user reports (including trials) as for some bizarre reason BT mark them as private. I'd suggest contacting a BT Mod in regard to your problem.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom