1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Youv'e got me all confused

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Happytab, Oct 12, 2005.

1. Happytab

Happytab
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    OK so it preparation for buying a 20gb Ipod around Christmas time I have ripped all my CD's into I-Tunes and then I start reading this forum and you've got me thinking.

Does it have to be an Ipod - many other recommendations on this site it seems.

My question is this - Do all the players have there own software ? do I have to re-rip my CD collection if I go with an alternative make ?

Thanks for your help. :smashin:

2. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    haha so you thinking of getting a HD5 or something?

Well it all depends, Im pretty sure the standard format for ripping in iTunes is AAC, which means that only iPods can use the files.
    If you ripped as mp3, then you can use pretty much any other DAP, just check the specs of the player you are looking at, but i can say that i almost guarantee that its mp3 compatible.
    Other problem is depending on what player you use, it might not be the best option using mp3. For example if you buy a sony then if you want to fit twice as many song on at the same quality then you need to use their Atrac3plus format, this also has the big advantage of playing songs gaplessly (like a normal cd player), and it also allows the battery to last longer since the bitrate is lower.

Ipod is not gapless with any format, infact there are hardly any players apart from the minidisk and a couple others that will actually play the ripped CD the way the artist intended it to be played (with no artificial gaps inserted in between the songs due to bad/lazy design)

So if you were to buy another player instead, firstly i would assume that you will need to re rip your cds because iTunes will use AAC by default, not mp3 (from memory).
    And secondly, if you want to get the full potential out of another player it would be a good idea to rip in its desired format anyway.

3. vtah236

vtah236
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been happily buying the cheaper downloads off iTunes to use on my Sony HD5. I use JHymn (Google it - it's a free download) to reformat the files into mp3.

4. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,898
    Don't let the rantings of a few people put you off buyng an iPod if that is what you want. You will find that the most vocal people are the anti-iPod brigade :D

5. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,232
    Viva le iPod!

(never owned an iPod, Sony HD3 owner here)

6. Happytab

Happytab
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Why are there so many anti-Ipod postings here - why are people so vehemently opposed to the little fellow ?

7. kevH

kevH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Now theres a question that could run an run ................ :boring:

8. lukey

lukey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...jealousy perhaps, or resentment that its the market leader by numbers of units sold

9. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,898
    It's probably just fashionable these days to knock it.

10. kevH

kevH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Always makes me wonder how many people have actually auditioned an Ipod, i dont mean the folk here as such i mean the people in general who knock the Ipod because of its "status" etc etc etc etc etc ...................

Is it just me who's getting tired and bored of all the Ipod knocking ?

11. asherpat

asherpat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    partly jealousy, yes, but mainly the fact that media assumes that YOU have an iPod ("insert your iPod...", "what's on your iPOd", etc), the stupid cult of Aplle and iPod and finally, the herd of white earbud sheep eyesores on the trains, thinking they are all cool and special.

12. kevH

kevH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    There is the other side of the coin Asherpat people who have actually auditioned them,compared them to other models and found that for their individual needs it was the correct choice for Them !!! :smashin:

I have an Ipod Nano in the household although my DAP of choice and everyday usage is the Rio Karma but for the wife the Nano fits her needs perfectly ie very small very compact and enough storage for her needs!

We certainly arent "the white earbud sheep!" you so eloquently refer to as she has Shure e4's for her nano in Black !! :thumbsup:

In essence try what you fancy and make your own mind up there is plenty of good advice on here regarding DAP's but go try them and see what "fits" your own ears .

13. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Love iPod, me (not being sarcastic, either, in case those of you who know me through my posts think this). Just wish it was better for my needs, then I'd happily buy one. Right now, it ain't. Will that change by 6pm UK time today? Who knows?

14. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    Yeah thats why I bought an ipod :rolleyes:

Nothing to do with it integrating seamlessly with my chosen software, nothing to do with it having the best UI of any player i'd used, nothing to do with it offering everything I need in one neat package.

My ipod is 3+ years old now and all the things I've mentioned above still hold true.

(hopefully this thread will not degenerate into another tedious 'x is better than y' type squabble)

15. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +870
    I never knew there were none ipod owners using itms!.

It also irks me that people just assume we bought an ipod because everyone else has one, pfft we do have a brain you know. I have posted the multiple reasons I had for choosing the pod numerous times on here yet some people on here don't like to accept those reasons, I accept the reasons why others buy Sony, Creative etc yet to some my reasons are not valid so I must be a sheep.

Baaaaa!.

And just incase you think the number of new 'sheep' may be starting to slow then think again:-

Reporting record fourth quarter and year-end financial results on Tuesday, Apple announced that it shipped more than 6.4 million iPods during the quarter, the 10th consecutive quarter of record iPod sales.

Apple’s net profit for the quarter was $430 million, or 50 cents per share, on $3.68 billion in revenue—the highest quarterly earnings and revenue in the company’s history. These results compare to a profit of $106 million and revenue of $2.35 billion last year. For fiscal 2005, Apple had a net profit of $1.335 billion on revenue of $13.93 billion, representing the highest annual net profit and revenue in the company’s history.

With today’s report of Apple shipping 6,451,000 iPods during the quarter—about 300,000 more than last quarter and approximately 4.4 million more than a year ago—the total number of iPods sold now stands at over 26 million.

In an SEC filing, Apple said all iPod models accounted for more than $1.212 billion in revenue during the quarter, an increase of 126 percent compared to last year. Apple’s “Other Music Products” category—which includes the iTunes Music Store, iPod related services and accessories—accounted for $265 million of the quarter’s revenue, a 170 percent increase year-over-year.

They have also announced that they've hit the 1million nano sold, in just 17 days.

16. vtah236

vtah236
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    79p per track on iTunes v 99p on Sonicstage...

17. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +870
    99p!, I never knew that, prices for digital downloads should be coming down not getting higher.

18. lukey

lukey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    then again...thinking about it,,,its probably more to do with insecurity...and the lack of comprehension why the public choose this product in their masses

19. asherpat

asherpat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    kevH,

many of the iPod buyers do just that what you did. However, if you make a trip to your local John Lewis on a Saturday lunchtime, you will notice a strange fact. The sellers on the electrinics floor are not at their tills. Their main activity is trips to the backroom bringing handfulls of iPod boxes from the warehouse. you will also notice, that an overwhelming proportion of these boxes dissappear into bags of people who never try them or compare them, like you do, rather they just "want an iPod".

20. kevH

kevH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    I dont dispute that fact asherpat im just saying that not all ipod users/buyers are sheep some of us actually try these things for size. :smashin:

There is the other side too ive seen,as you have no doubt,many in comet currys dixons et al buying Creatives,Sonys et al too.

Not everyone is as discerable as we seem to be and purely buy on looks and what it says on the small display tag on front of the item.

The one thing i always say is its their money and theirs to do as they please and to many £200 or so isnt something that they'd get worked up about if the item proves to be only satisfactory for their needs then so be it. :rolleyes:

I spent at the weekend almost five times that amount this weekend on two items that i didnt trial, i didnt audition, i didnt check reviews i purely bought on looks and colour !!!!!! A fridge freezer and induction hob !!!! :rotfl: :rotfl:

Am i a fridge freezer silver sheep follower ??? :thumbsdow

21. lukey

lukey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the problem is that the ipod is the 'must have' accessory by a lot of people in order for them to feel as though they are 'part of the crowd'..for a lot of people, just to say that they own an ipod makes them feel included and part of the incrowd....talking about the younger generation here!!...anyway we diverse a little....clearly those who feel they are in the 'know' about technology (probably the majority of people who frequent this board) are irritated that the majority of the population are prepared to buy something which is based largely on fashion choice, thats why the product gets slated so much.

Reminds me a bit like Burberry (the clothes that is), once seen as a cool and well respected company that produced quality clothes...however once the chavs discovered the brand and bought it purely because its seen as their uniform we all now sneer at the product regardless of how popular it is/was

22. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,232
    I really would want USB OTG, for my PSP, so I can transfer video/music over, saving me buying more MS

For that reason, only the iaudio X5 attracts me

I pray that Apple see sense

23. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +870
    I still don't know what that means LFC?, OTG?.

24. kevH

kevH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    OTG

On the go ???

25. KiNeL

KiNeL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    The Sun is the UK's favourite "newspaper" and the Toyota Corolla is the worlds favourite car so clearly popularity doth not neccessarily indicate the best product!

And yes, I have auditioned an iPod!

I rest my case..lol

26. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +870
    I guessed on the go but discounted it because I didn't understand what he means by on the go usb?, eh?. Howay LFC get your arse back to this thread!.

27. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +870
    You are still missing the point. It is the best product FOR ME, whereas another brand is the best product for you. Don't just assume that everyone is just buying the ipod because they are unaware of the competition :lesson: , while that may be true for the secondary school masses the people you (usually) find on a DAP forum tend to know what they are buying and have their own reasons for doing so.

28. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,898
    I wonder if he means USB connection to another device without having to connect to a computer as well ? You know like you can do with some printers and cameras these days.

29. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,232
    I'm back. Yes thats what it is - USB on the go

I can use a USB OTG HD player to connect to my PSP - no PC! - and transfer files over

30. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That does it, KevH (can I call you just Kev?). You're getting a bill from me for the increase in my health insurance ... now that I've had to make a claim cos my sides just split!! :rotfl:

I have images of people lugging fridges round London, while others relax on the train, ears pressed against their induction hobs!! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Please, make it stop hurting :rotfl: :D