YouTube's fastest growing market? Your TV.

anytime youtube is on my telly its the annoying dad from FGTeeVee acting the monkey and looking at some of the views for their random videos its in the millions, id say 90% of my tv is now Prime/Netflix/Youtube with the occasional BBC News

The vast majority of what I watch on my TV has been YouTube, for two or three years now.

Whether it's tutorials, tech news, documentary style video essays, reviews or simply something to keep my cat amused, there's always something to watch on YouTube.

For scripted content it's pretty much Netflix and Amazon Prime, or the Apple TV/UHD disc for films.

I rarely watch YouTube on the TV, although the amount I do is increasing. Everything else I watch is on Netflix or Prime, or occasionally one of the catch up services. I'm in the middle of renovating my living room and we haven't even bothered wiring in an aerial or Sky, such is our lack of interest in conventional broadcast telly - Cat6 has gone in instead.

To be fair I tend to use YouTube on the TV quite a lot now, but only because its basically the modern equivalent of MTV in the house. I just stick a bunch of songs on a big playlist and stick that on when I want to put my feet up for 5 minutes. Other than that it's mostly Netflix, with the occasional smattering of Amazon for us.

YouTube has basically taken over my late evening/night fall asleep watching TV viewing.

Up till i got my android tv a couple of years ago I did use to watch stuff like family guy, southpark or a film that's halfway through via skybox but now its tech news and reviews (inc avforums channel), gaming news and playthroughs, pewdiepie etc via youtube tv app.

You Tube has become my go to channel for DIY, product reviews, cycling programmes etc. It takes time to identify the best channels to subscribe to at times, but once found, they are invaluable.

Nope.

It's too clunky via the TV for me. I'll occasionally hook the laptop up to the tv to use the bigger screen (old skool style), but 99.9% of my youtube is still viewed at desk on my laptop.

YouTube has pretty much taken over broadcast TV for me now. The only thing ill watch on normal broadcast TV are football games. Netflix and Amazon for movies + 4K discs. Anything else is mainly YouTube. Being a huge gamer for example. I remember when I was a kid and used to love when GamesMaster would come on TV every week. Now with something like YouTube you can watch that kind of stuff to your hearts content. Watch tech details and so on and so forth about your favourite things. Broadcast TV has kinda just stopped interesting me. If theres a series I want to watch ill usually just watch it on Netflix or Amazon.

It's such a great resource. If there's something I haven't done before that I need some help with, it's almost certainly been done on Netflix so I'll have a guide available to me. The TV interface is just fine. I can type in the search term, or just use the microphone, or even cast it from the phone (and previously, my Windows laptop) it really couldn't be easier.

I rarely watch YouTube on the TV, although the amount I do is increasing. Everything else I watch is on Netflix or Prime, or occasionally one of the catch up services. I'm in the middle of renovating my living room and we haven't even bothered wiring in an aerial or Sky, such is our lack of interest in conventional broadcast telly - Cat6 has gone in instead.

Same; in my recent living room / home cinema renovation, I didn't bother tieing in the equipment to the antenna.

I'm now in a situation where I have cancelled the TV licence; which for me was my most expensive subscription. I will miss iplayer but I'm not prepared to pay a premium for it.

As with most users here, bulk of my TV viewing is with Netflix and Amazon, with YouTube increasingly fighting for my screen time. Some of these YouTube channels, can give professional broadcasting a run for their money. Techmoan is my new favourite.

Youtube do not restrict bandwidth esp for 4K unlike Netflix do (max 15mbs)
4K on Youtube is stunning..........
If more programming was available on Youtube I would subscribe.
Also, maybe a new layout is needed too.

I'm now in a situation where I have cancelled the TV licence; which for me was my most expensive subscription. I will miss iplayer but I'm not prepared to pay a premium for it.

Still haven't persuaded the Mrs to ditch iplayer ... working on it though. We watch iplayer far less than Netflix yet pay more for it!

Still haven't persuaded the Mrs to ditch iplayer ... working on it though. We watch iplayer far less than Netflix yet pay more for it!

If I really want to watch something on iplayer then rather than restarting the license, I just cough up for the box set (either on amazon or Google, or bluray if the home video release isn't too long). For me, it's a 1-off tenner or so vs £147 for the year.

But that rarely happens. I've more than enough to watch elsewhere.

What do people watch on YouTube on their TVs?

Being a petrol head I of course subscribe to some of the motoring channels (a couple are JayEmm On Cars and Harry's Garage), some music related ones (the History of Iron Maiden was great, and some bass guitar stuff as well). I don't watch tutorials or training stuff on TV, that's all done at the desktop.

• How To Dad (New Zealand dad giving fake parenting advice)
  • Simon's Cat (2 minute cartoon produced about 1 per month)
  • Audiphiliac (Steve Guttenberg chatting for 5 minutes each day about something hi-fi related)
  • 4k HDR demo material
  • Fast jets (and other military aircraft) transiting the Mach Loop.
I tend to watch stuff when I'm winding down before bed late at night. I only started when I got my LG 65B7 - YouTube is integrated really well, with voice searching if I can be bothered digging out the original remote.

Netflix, bang your straight in and no time wasting, the simplicity works. Iplayer is too buggy and the lag, jeez so bad... The irony is that you pay less for netflix over a year ,you get more content over a year then iplayer which is more expensive, crap, all celebrity BS and ripped from you from the license fee.

Being a petrol head I of course subscribe to some of the motoring channels (a couple are JayEmm On Cars and Harry's Garage), some music related ones (the History of Iron Maiden was great, and some bass guitar stuff as well). I don't watch tutorials or training stuff on TV, that's all done at the desktop.

Mostly just stuff I'm passionate about. Gaming, music and drumming, tech channels, bodybuilding channels, photography. Its just so easy and convenient to find anything you need. Its also great for tutorials and things if you need help. Also as mentioned its amazing to show off HDR 4K material. Especially on your shiny new TV.

I love YouTube on TV. It's probably a good 50% of my TV watching. Whether it's tutorials, holiday trip reports or tech stuff, I just love it.i just wish it had deeper integration with SKY Q like Netflix is going to have

Collider I subscribe too and watch a lot. Love their movie talk.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom